• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not sure i can do this, serious second thoughts

Aww Jo... We all understand it's an anxious time!... Maybe see if you can get some hypnotherapy to calm you or see a councillor, it would be such a shame to lose you slot/ funding. I had the mini gastric bypass 71/2 weeks ago n self funded. For me it was a fairly quick decision which I do not regret..... I felt like I was dying/ would die very soon if I did nothing. I've battled with the weight all my life (I'm 52) and one day just though , I carnt do this anymore!... Did my research ,Booked a date ,an airplane and was there 4 weeks later.... I didn't feel that nervous strangely! ... I truly felt the greater risk was to do nothing..... Your team would not operate if they felt you wouldn't be safe so trust their expertise.... The mini only takes 30-40 mins so your not under long at all.....I flew home 2 days later!... Good look with it all Hun, only you can decide what's right for you but don't allow fear to decide for you. :)

Hi

I'm currently sitting in Sunderland Hospital for my 8 week check after a bypass. I have never felt better and don't have a single regret about doing it.

Read through my posts from September ... I was exactly the same as you ... In constant tears, thinking I was going to die and leave my two babies and husband. I have never felt so scared in my life and i cried at every opportunity. I was even crying being wheeled down to theatre and while having the anaesthetic ...

What your feeling is totally normal ...

It will all be worth it in the end .... Trust me ? x

Aww Jo... We all understand it's an anxious time!... Maybe see if you can get some hypnotherapy to calm you or see a councillor, it would be such a shame to lose you slot/ funding. I had the mini gastric bypass 71/2 weeks ago n self funded. For me it was a fairly quick decision which I do not regret..... I felt like I was dying/ would die very soon if I did nothing. I've battled with the weight all my life (I'm 52) and one day just though , I carnt do this anymore!... Did my research ,Booked a date ,an airplane and was there 4 weeks later.... I didn't feel that nervous strangely! ... I truly felt the greater risk was to do nothing..... Your team would not operate if they felt you wouldn't be safe so trust their expertise.... The mini only takes 30-40 mins so your not under long at all.....I flew home 2 days later!... Good look with it all Hun, only you can decide what's right for you but don't allow fear to decide for you. :)

Hi Jan the mini bypass was only mentioned to me last wednesday after endoscopy, i was quite yucky and a bit dazed i guess lol afterwards and i had no idea what i shuld have asked as i wasn't expecting to be told that. But it seems its gunna depend more on surgeon and what they think when there in there, which to be honest i'd rather know beforehand.

He printed some info off about the comparison between a bypass and mini it was literally 6 sentences, not enough for me....which lead to the googling aswell. At first i thought it was defiantly the best but then i done a bit more looking into it and now im nt soo sure, still not against it i really think all i need is to be re-assured by the pro's a bit!

How are you doing after your mini bypass how was healing time if you dont mind me asking? I haven't spoken to anyone on here about the mini x

Hi

I'm currently sitting in Sunderland Hospital for my 8 week check after a bypass. I have never felt better and don't have a single regret about doing it.

Read through my posts from September ... I was exactly the same as you ... In constant tears, thinking I was going to die and leave my two babies and husband. I have never felt so scared in my life and i cried at every opportunity. I was even crying being wheeled down to theatre and while having the anaesthetic ...

What your feeling is totally normal ...

It will all be worth it in the end .... Trust me ? x

i will defiantly have a look at your posts, how are you feeling 8 weeks on? hope your appointment is going ok x

i will defiantly have a look at your posts, how are you feeling 8 weeks on? hope your appointment is going ok x

I'm feeling great thanks. Almost forgot that I've had anything done. I'm eating all normal foods with no problems at all ... Just much smaller portions and have no hunger sensation at all.

It's honestly the best thing I could have done. It was rough the first few days ... But it's like giving birth ... You soon forget about the discomfort.

X

Hi Jo

I think you will be really pleased when you have it done. You are still quite young and will really reap the benefit of it. You will be around to see your children grow up and that possibly wouldn't happen without this op. You will be able to join in with Sports Days and will be able to chase them around the place. They will have to behave because you will be quicker on your feet lol. I think you need to keep your diary up-to-date because in a very short time, you will be able to help us people who are due to have our ops but are getting cold feet and worrying about it!!

Debbie

Hi Jo... There are a few of us just had the mini on here... Curls, and Marcos are two of the other newbies like me to have it done.... If you have been googling you will see the main difference is one less join on the bypass part and slightly less bypass, faster opp time and supposed shorter recovery time. The weight loss is supposed to be similar though!.... I think not that many surgeons do it yet in the UK but it is favoured in the USA... ( see Dr Rutledge on You Tube) ... It depends on your surgeon and maybe how much weight you have to lose... Considering my age I've recovered very well... I flew home fine!... I have been tired but that's to be expected. Wounds ( 5 small incisions) have been no problem and I only took paracetamol as a pain killer for the first 4 days... None since! First couple of nights I was sore but manageable! I think 4-6 weeks and your back on your game eating normal food , but very small amounts = full up! I've lost just of 2 stone since opp day 7 weeks ago but know curls n Marcos have lost 3-4 stone so it's working for us!... The other standard bypassers are doing great also so probs go with what your surgeon is most happy with but I do think they should tell you prior... I carnt see why they would need to check anatomy wise.... Maybe it depends on who your surgeon will be and their speciality?.. If you think of anything else you would like to ask fire away! :)

Hi Jo... There are a few of us just had the mini on here... Curls, and Marcos are two of the other newbies like me to have it done.... If you have been googling you will see the main difference is one less join on the bypass part and slightly less bypass, faster opp time and supposed shorter recovery time. The weight loss is supposed to be similar though!.... I think not that many surgeons do it yet in the UK but it is favoured in the USA... ( see Dr Rutledge on You Tube) ... It depends on your surgeon and maybe how much weight you have to lose... Considering my age I've recovered very well... I flew home fine!... I have been tired but that's to be expected. Wounds ( 5 small incisions) have been no problem and I only took paracetamol as a pain killer for the first 4 days... None since! First couple of nights I was sore but manageable! I think 4-6 weeks and your back on your game eating normal food , but very small amounts = full up! I've lost just of 2 stone since opp day 7 weeks ago but know curls n Marcos have lost 3-4 stone so it's working for us!... The other standard bypassers are doing great also so probs go with what your surgeon is most happy with but I do think they should tell you prior... I carnt see why they would need to check anatomy wise.... Maybe it depends on who your surgeon will be and their speciality?.. If you think of anything else you would like to ask fire away! :)

Fab weight losses :) and thanks Jan. To be honest I think after the endoscopy I was shook up I listened best as I could but he mentioned in someone who in his words is "super super obese" it can be easier due to intestine being connected a shorter distance??? But I'm not too clear on what he said. Something along those lines...

Yeah I actually watched one of Dr rutledge videos...didn't seem too bad lol think it was on a site tho. I think I would prefer mini only I came across that it may (or not) cause cancer due to reflux issues in future. But by sounds of it there isn't enough evidence/research to say that will happen or even what chance percentage. It's a risk I know they all come with risks x

Hi Jo. Bit different as I was banded 7 weeks ago but just wanted to wish you well and share my experience.

I was TERRIFIED. I had initially been booked in for surgery in Nov 2012 and chickened out. I convinced myself that I'd lose the weight myself, this was the motivation I needed, yada, yada, yada. 22 months and 24lbs later, I was even more miserable so went back to my clinic and booked myself back in.

The consultations went ok. Had a few tearful moments myself after them but nothing I couldn't handle. The idea of surgery was killing me. I hadn't had a general anaesthetic in over 25 years. I hadn't told anyone except my husband about the operation and the idea of not waking up and leaving him to not only deal with being widowed in his 30s but also having to explain to my family what had happened and why really caused me sleepless nights. Even thinking about it now has me choked up.

I came so close to backing out so many times. Even now, I can't believe I went through with it.

The morning of surgery was tough. My husband dropped me to the clinic and I could barely say goodbye to him. In the clinic itself, I was so terrified, I couldn't actually speak. I just forced myself to do every little step... "I'll sit on the couch until my name is called"... "I just have to go behind that door and put on my robe"... "I just have to lie here and focus on my breathing and listen to the nurse".
It really was awful and totally self-inflicted. The staff were lovely and I was able to keep my panic under control.

The relief when I realised I was awake was amazing. Before they even had the oxygen mask off me, I was asking for my phone to text my husband, I just wanted him to know I was ok.

I know where you're coming from. I know how frightened you are. I will say though that I'm thrilled with myself that I went through with it. I was getting fatter and fatter and have no doubt I'd be another few lbs up by now if I had cancelled my surgery.

It's a very difficult, personal decision to make and I wish you nothing but luck.

Fab weight losses :) and thanks Jan. To be honest I think after the endoscopy I was shook up I listened best as I could but he mentioned in someone who in his words is "super super obese" it can be easier due to intestine being connected a shorter distance??? But I'm not too clear on what he said. Something along those lines... Yeah I actually watched one of Dr rutledge videos...didn't seem too bad lol think it was on a site tho. I think I would prefer mini only I came across that it may (or not) cause cancer due to reflux issues in future. But by sounds of it there isn't enough evidence/research to say that will happen or even what chance percentage. It's a risk I know they all come with risks x

I read all about the reflux also but most of that evidence was based on opps back in the 70s... These days they do the mini with what's called a bilathron 2 ( Soz carnt spell it's) but the shape of the stomach pouch has been changed to help prevent reflux and also anti acid drugs are much better.... We need to take lanzoprazole anti acids for a while at least after surgery but that's not a problem I don't think..... Dr Rutledges case studies of thousands of patents don't show any increase in cancer I believe so that reassured me! :)

Thanks guys. I have decided just to wait for letter/call for the op. I'm hoping it will come soon just so I have a date and can start prepare things and just hoping once It's booked it'll soon be here and things can start to change, hopefully for the better for me. Im hoping at a pre op appointment I think u get?? I will have any concerns re-assured then, I know I'm so lucky to get this opportunity! I'm only 28 I have 3 children I'm doing it for them just as much as for myself x

fab reason to be doing it for ur kids! Alot of people don't bother. Stay positive and think of that end goal. Imagine how much more u will be able to do with ur kids! :) i had mine as I have PCOS and it's pretty much the only way me and my husband will be able to have children. Xx

Back