• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

constipation what do u take for it??

brad scott

hey everyone just a quick question ive noticed the past week i have become constipated (think thats how u spell it) if u have suffered which this after having a gastric bypass please let me know what u did to overcome it im not in any pain it just feels like i need to go but cant.

cheers

I haven't taken anything - just had to be patient and let nature take it's course.
x

I suffer quite badly and I take fybogel, not sure if that's how you spell it!
You make it into a drink and can drink it as slow as you like xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I have always suffered with it. Now 2 years on I will eat some chocolate ( no not lots tho) or take sennacot to help. I also fine that condine makes it worse too.I always found that when I ate junk I always was ok as soon as I ate healthy that was when my problems started. Strange isnt it it should be the other way round.

Jo
xx

I suffer from this a lot since the operation.

I used to go at least once a day, now I am lucky if I go once a week.

I believe that it may also have something to do with the amount I now eat post op? I used to eat as much in 2 days as I now eat in a whole week???

If I havn't gone for more than 4 days, I drink 1 or 2 MOVICOL or half a tin of prunes (in fruit or apple juice and NOT syrup) This always does the trick!

If you read any of my posts from way back when, I always reccommend prunes and prune juice. I have always been constipated.
I buy pitted prunes, not in a tin, fresh dried ones and put about 6 in a pyrex jug, cover with water and a couple of sweeteneres then blast in the microwave for say 4-5 mins. Stir for a while to let the juice and some of the fibre escape from the prunes and then leave them in the fridge overnight. I used to cooke them in the evening before I was going to eat them.
They work very well, and if you do like prunes, figs do the same job!
Anyway, I used to eat the prunes one day and then the next day I drank the juice. Its pretty potent stuff. The reason I dont use tinned prunes is because I found it a waste of money. You cant eat a full tin and the rest goes off once you have opened the tin unless you have a family that likes them.
Also, as Kevin said, drink as much water as you can it makes a massive difference.
Lynne x

Being properly hydrated is very important Brad so make sure your fluid levels are right. However drinking water once your bowels are backed up or impacted may not be the answer. That's where help from something like Movical can be a real bonus. It helps get the fluid to your bowels is how my GP described it. So if it continues to be an immediate problem go see your GP and ask for Movicol, then make sure you get enough fluid down your neck on a daily basis to prevent further issues. Good luck

If you feel like you need to go but can't, you may be impacted. You can buy glycerol suppositories over the counter, or get some enemas on prescription. Don't leave it, it will get worse.

Movicol is the best post op laxative, avoid senokot if possible as it causes your bowel to contract which can be a bit aggressive. Once sorted try taking a tspoon of benefibre every day to prevent it happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Good advice there shell.
I have diverticulitis and have to try to avoid constipation at all costs. My mum also had it even into old age where it used to make her very poorly.
Very, very painful.
Lynne x

I have kept myself well hydrated and fingers crossed haven't had any problems. As you have diverticulitis I wouldn't recommend self treating constipation after the bypass I would see the dr. Once things are on the move again.......water, water, water. It really does work.

i had constipation once and it soo killed me!! since then i have a bowl of bran flakes every morning and it seems to keep things moving along nicely!

When i did get constipated, i also used Movical x

My doctor has just prescribed me normacol for life!!!! Can't say I am best pleased to be on laxatives for ever, I will have to see how I go.

OMG I feel your pain - literally. I'm having major trouble too! I dread it when I do need to go as it's so painful and (and I'm sorry but I'm gonna tell it how it is!) it sometimes bleeds when its trying to get out and I'm not straining. I actually want to cry with the pain and even siting here now I'm sitting on my side as it's too painful to sit straight on my bum!!

I am going for a check up tomorrow with the nurse at the hospital so am going to talk to her about it.

OMG I feel your pain - literally. I'm having major trouble too! I dread it when I do need to go as it's so painful and (and I'm sorry but I'm gonna tell it how it is!) it sometimes bleeds when its trying to get out and I'm not straining. I actually want to cry with the pain and even siting here now I'm sitting on my side as it's too painful to sit straight on my bum!!

I am going for a check up tomorrow with the nurse at the hospital so am going to talk to her about it.

Sounds like piles!:cry:

No its not piles, it is the pressure of the compacted stool in the bowel.
Get to see the doc as soon as you can Karen, they might give you something to put in there for instant pooing relief. Poor thing xx
I have a ghastly story about constipation but I wont tell on here lol.
Lynne x

Well I saw the nurse today. She's told me to take more of the mil-par and use ice and cream to relieve the pain (must admit it's been ok today!)
And I must drink more fluids - this will help a lot!

Back