• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hooorah for dumping

Beegee

I have found I can eat pretty much anything with little restriction. Still loosing weight but its slowing. I ordered a curry tonight ..didn't want to but the voice in my head made me...and it tasted good.. so very very, good. I was thinking this is bad news because I am very well known at my curry house.. they missed me... but thank god I have been dumping big time for the last hour.. curry house will have to learn to live without me.:flirt2:

Hi Beegee, how horrible for you. I hope you are feeling better this morning. I haven't experienced dumping yet as such although I did react to the chicken complan soup early on which left me feeling very sick and weak. Had my usual porridge for breakfast this morning but for some reason I feel it's stuck in my throat! Not had that before. Oh well it's definitely a learning curve. I agree with the weightloss slowing down. I keep thinking is this it. Is this all I'm going to lose now. I hope not. Must keep positive. Take care.

I've been on holiday for the past several weeks with far too much time on my hands and have had some interesting thoughts about dumping.

If you haven't 'been' for a while and are planning on a pharmaceutical solution to the problem, is it better to take a couple of dulcolax and wait for hours.... OR can you eat something (like a mouthful) guaranteed to make you dump BIG TIME and get the whole solution done and dusted within 45 minutes.

Huummmm..... I'd say that I need to get out more, but probably I actually need to stay in more :D

Hi Beegee, how horrible for you. I hope you are feeling better this morning. I haven't experienced dumping yet as such although I did react to the chicken complan soup early on which left me feeling very sick and weak. Had my usual porridge for breakfast this morning but for some reason I feel it's stuck in my throat! Not had that before. Oh well it's definitely a learning curve. I agree with the weightloss slowing down. I keep thinking is this it. Is this all I'm going to lose now. I hope not. Must keep positive. Take care.

Yes my weightloss has now slowed to 0.5 to 1 pound a week. Its still a loss but I am getting mildly concerned as I don't feel any restriction.. only if I drink a lot of water..I don't want to put weight on, so was glad that the curry didn't go down to well.

sorry pressed send before finishing.. sticking porridge are you goldilocks? Hope you are well otherwise?

For all that it's a horrible experience, dumping is very good at making you think before you put any food in the mouth doesn't it. I am actually quite glad that I'm proving to be a bit of a dumper so far. Not sure if I will feel this way in a years time though ..watch this space I suppose

Just out of interest for those that do have dumping is it for life? The reason I ask is that when people say after a few year that you can eat anything but just smaller portions. Does this then mean the body has adapted and the dumping has gone or is more predictable?

Thanks in advance bypass gods

to in"thin"ety and beyond...... regards Trev

Dumping is for life, tho tolerance levels can change. It is a very individual thing. We should be aiming for 5% fat or less. And sugar free ... x

Hi, sorry for ignorance, but what is dumping? Is it toilet related..?

Not necessarily but in my case it usually does

There are basically 2 types of dumping the rapid onset type that usually occurs when you eat something too sugary or eaten too quickly. As a bypasser it hits the shortened bowl too quickly and it can be a little too much for it to contend with causing the bowel to distend with fluid sometimes we can suffer a surge of insulin just to make things worse. It's rapid onset makes you feel hot sweaty, giddy, palpitations, shakes with nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and TMI .. Uncontrolable scoots. Once I have gone through all of the above I just want to go to sleep and there is no stopping me I GOT TO SLEEP.

The second type, Late onset, occurs an hour to four hours after we eat something of a higher fat content. For me it is similar to the early onset but I don't get the sleepies. It tends to be a bit more drawn out than the first type with a slow build up of feeling really off colour and ending several hours later with the uncontrollable scoots.

Suffice to say it is not pleasant, is best avoided and a good deterrent ;)

Dumping only happens for me on sugar not fat so far, it's pretty instant for me and I get very panicked when it does. I won't eat anything with sugar in now and I don't want to!

Dumping only happens for me on sugar not fat so far, it's pretty instant for me and I get very panicked when it does. I won't eat anything with sugar in now and I don't want to!

In my "old bad ways days" i couldnt stand at a supermarket checkout without buying something (or 2) for the road home. Nowadays i still look and get a niggly temptation but the threat of dumping has me scared so witless its more than enough put me off. I dump at the mear mention of sugar :rolleyes:

Thank you. This is a whole new world to me. I am a second timer, as the band didn't sustain my weight loss.. And the band didnt give me those kind of side effects.

Thank you. This is a whole new world to me. I am a second timer, as the band didn't sustain my weight loss.. And the band didnt give me those kind of side effects.

To be honest I'm actually glad it does have those side effects on me. Like I said its a great detterent. But not everyone does dump ;) x

I've not dumped yet, not had anything sugary as I've not got a sweet tooth at all and never had sugar on my weetabix/cornflakes pre-op, I even dislike chocolate, its early days yet so fingers crossed as it sounds horrid :(

Hi, sorry for ignorance, but what is dumping? Is it toilet related..?

I've not dumped yet, not had anything sugary as I've not got a sweet tooth at all and never had sugar on my weetabix/cornflakes pre-op, I even dislike chocolate, its early days yet so fingers crossed as it sounds horrid :(

I don't have a sweet tooth either tbh and like you I never took sugar on weetabix etc either .. Not even porridge lol. It's the hidden sugars in products that have caught me out every time.. I scrutinise every label and it's been a long time that I have suffered the sugary dump ... Last time was a teaspoon of Sophie's purée fruit with no added sugar a couple of months ago :(. It doesn't have to be sugar either for the first type. Simply eating and drinking too fast can trigger it off and is more likely to occur in the early post op days when you are learning how to manage your pouch. But old timers can get caught out too ;)
I do however suffer most frequently from the second/late type of dumping which is not helped by the intolerance to fats that I suffer anyway. Lattes are the biggest offender and I have learned to ask for so skinny lattes now. We do eat out a lot and this is where I get tripped up. You have no control over what the chef does with his ingredients unfortunately & what sounds innocent on the menu can contain a sneaky extra :(. I will and do continue to eat out though. Life goes on and I don't want to be "scared" of trying new things. In my case it doesn't take a high fat content to set me off which makes it so unpredictable 2g is enough. Made more difficult is the fact that fats are required by our bodies to digest food properly and for other body functions so I just can't win :rolleyes:

JEVF I'm a bit extreme as regards dumping. I knew that there was a chance I could be susceptible so went in with eyes wide open. It's manageable and not the usual scenario for bypassers so don't let it put you off... And for the record I still love my bypass :)

Last edited:
As I am so early out all my food is cooked from scratch (but so was 99% of my food pre-op) so I know exactly what goes in it, dumping scares me rigid lol I'm amazed I've not dumped due to eating so fast as thats a very hard habit to break after years of shovelling it in :D

I learned that one very early on after rushing my brekkie one day porridge and watered down tomato juice (I still dilute natural juice down 50/50)... I think I can count on one hand the times I have eaten a ready prepare meal.... :yuk:. Hubby would divorce me I think hahaha. I too much prefer making my own from scratch. I have just spent the last half hour bashing chicken breasts down to make my own balmoral chicken for the family tomorrow. Me? I just have the chicken now a days :(.

...... In my case it doesn't take a high fat content to set me off which makes it so unpredictable 2g is enough. Made more difficult is the fact that fats are required by our bodies to digest food properly and for other body functions so I just can't win :rolleyes:

Posted that without checking it first as battery was about to die on me
That should say ....In my case it doesn't take a high fat content to set me off which makes it so unpredictable 2g is enough to start the steatorrhea off and anything over 5g in a meal can have me dumping big style...

Back