• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hooorah for dumping

So do I try and avoid it hun but only with things I know are going to affect me ;). You have got to experiment with food or life is going to get very boring.
At my recent appointment where I was told to stop over chewing and concentrate on the more solid foods and stop relying on safe food I said to him that I havent done this because it gets stuck & I am eventually sick. He told me that to make this work I have to get over that fear and start experimenting. Things getting stuck are a reality of the bypass. I was really enjoying my prawn stir fry last night ..I've been scared to try it again because it has got stuck before. Guess what it got stuck again:rolleyes:. I was so miffed because I was really really enjoying it too.. the dog loved it also as he got the majority of it :(. Anyhoo not giving up and going to try them again at lunchtime. Wish me luck

Frankie....I do think sometimes dieticans/surgeons mean well with their advice,but they really don't know what's its like to eat this new way,its very "alien" way of eating.
I get food stuck all the time,and it does make you fearful of eating.
But...you have keep at it and keep trying,I'm still experimenting even after 3+ years..lol

Thanks Emma & I agree. To be "sick" on food isn't pleasant and is liable to put you off the incriminating food for a long long time & I do wonder if dieticians surgeons entirely understand those "fears" that we have. I find being sick post bypass so much more exhausting and not as productive just a lot of frothing and straining.. It's plain horrible! For what it's worth my shrimp didn't get stuck this time round and for my main meal this evening I decided to stir fry strips of a wild goose breast which is a really dense meat. Okay I only managed to get about half a cupful down me but boy did I feel full for an hour or so but it didn't stick & it wasn't painful :)

Thanks Emma & I agree. To be "sick" on food isn't pleasant and is liable to put you off the incriminating food for a long long time & I do wonder if dieticians surgeons entirely understand those "fears" that we have. I find being sick post bypass so much more exhausting and not as productive just a lot of frothing and straining.. It's plain horrible! For what it's worth my shrimp didn't get stuck this time round and for my main meal this evening I decided to stir fry strips of a wild goose breast which is a really dense meat. Okay I only managed to get about half a cupful down me but boy did I feel full for an hour or so but it didn't stick & it wasn't painful :)

Totally agree vomiting post bypass is exhausting and my tummy does feel tender afterwards for a while.
I still find even now,one day I can eat something and it goes now great..the next day no way!
I do fear food at times especially when I'm out and about,I haven't got no safety of home if something goes wrong.
I also think due to my restriction still being tiny,I have to be careful not to overeat or I'm sick.

Ohhh yes and it's so frustrating when you do eat out and find that you can only manage a couple of spoonfuls yet a few weeks beforehand you had the same thing & was able to eat it just fine.... Also in a new restaurant I will always check out where the loos are, just in case things go awry!

I think I need this sort of restriction in my diet (although when it happens I guess I'll moan like mad)
sounds like you're very similar to me. The good news is that I do get dumping but only if I eat stupid stuff and play with fire. Normal healthy food doesn't tend to cause issues. I have restriction but my pouch seems bigger than others. I do however get excellent restriction - I can eat more though until I get to it. The bad news - I had to prepare to work very hard for every pound. The bypass is only a tool, for everyone. Some people just push through the dumping. You need to get your head around the fact that you've got to sort the head stuff - the bypass won't do it for you.

I get dumping with my diabetes - horrible when it happens but thankfully I know the signs when its going to happen. I just hope that when I do get my op, it's not too bad or too regular.

Interesting article.
There is also a program on TV tonight Dispatches: Are You Adducted To Sugar ...8pm CH4

According to my surgeon for every 100g of sugar we ingest 25g (1/4) of it is grabbed by our body to store as fat. No matter what, even if we were to immediately go for a five mile run that quarter will still be stored as fat. Don't know if it's true but it amazed & shocked me. You daren't utter the word "smoothie" to him either. Good whole wholesome fruit macerated into a fructose sugar bomb!

I'm just trying a new protein drink. It has no added sugar but strawberry juice and purée. After 3 sips my body feels like it's trying decide whether to dump or not! An odd feeling! :/

Attachments

• image-578564527.jpg
    image-578564527.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 22
Puréed fruit is a no no for me. Did you check the sugar content in the nutritional content?

Sounds like it probably was a bit like a sugar rush. I have had this happen to me a couple of times in the early weeks but I don't get the warning signals now.

Back