• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How can I make this easier on myself?

mandym1

I am expecting a call in the next couple of weeks to arrange my first appointment and surgery should be June/July.

What changes/preperations can I make now to make this easier on myself?

I have to be honest and say I have been eating a lot, its as though food is going to disappear forever so I'm making the most of it now! I know thats so bad and trust me when I say I am ready to give up all my bad habits and I know it wont be easy but I have waited 3 years for this.

Also, I want to prepare for after surgery. Are there any tips, advice on practical things. I have heard of people cooking and freezing soups etc.. for after surgery but I dont know where to start.

Sorry if I'm waffling just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. :sigh:

Hi Mandy!Its Me im 12 weeks post op today and doing great,3.5st gone forever and feel fantastic!
Looking back I wish I had slowly cut down on portions and try to eat slower/chew more.
Stop drinking with meals,I still find it hard waiting to have a drink after eating,its hard!
Clear your cupboards of all your trigger foods,not that you can physically eat them!
Buy in loads of different soups if you cant be bothered cooking them.You will only eat half a small weight watchers so plenty of plastic tubs are useful.
I found weightwatchers frozen mash with chives really great,just two blitzed in the microwave with a little grated cheese or gravy.Your tastes will change so be prepared.
Weetabix and Oats so simple are great for breakfast.
Make sure you have everything in order at home and all your meds are up to date.Sleep when you feel a tiny bit tired,I had two hours every afternoon for four weeks!Plenty of pillows on your bed to prop yourself up for the first few days.
You will be uncomfortable sitting,lying and walking for a while.Take it easy doing everything,let someone else do the housework and shop online.Just consentrate on looking after yourself,sleeping,drinking,eating and take all pain meds/vitamins.Its overwhelming trying to do everything at first so have a routine.Each week gets better and you have different hurdles to face as time goes on.
By week four life is getting back to normal and just keeps getting better!
Dont compare yourself to others,keep off the scales till your 6 week appointment.Buy loads of bin bags so you can take all your big sizes to a charity shop.I had to do this four times and gave my sister in law stuff too!Anything Ive missed just ask away!Maz x

Thanks Maz, as always great advice and some really good ideas. :D x

I am expecting a call in the next couple of weeks to arrange my first appointment and surgery should be June/July.

I have to be honest and say I have been eating a lot, its as though food is going to disappear forever so I'm making the most of it now! I know thats so bad and trust me when I say I am ready to give up all my bad habits and I know it wont be easy but I have waited 3 years for this.

Also, I want to prepare for after surgery. Are there any tips, advice on practical things. I have heard of people cooking and freezing soups etc.. for after surgery but I dont know where to start.

:wave_cry:Hi Mandy,
That's a very good question-IMHO
-& a very good answer from B'n' B :worthy:

If you keep reading the threads/diaries on here I think you will be very well prepared for any & everythingxxx

The thing I found the best was to gradually start cutting down , especially on those carbs ( I was a massive carb eater , Bread, Rice, Pasta ,potatoes and tbh I didn't realize just how big a carb eater I was until writing this post :eek:...and wanted too avoid the headaches etc). Trust me I found it so much easier , just be more conscious of what your eating and it will make it easier in the long run, also drink plenty of water also, rather then going " cold turkey" for pre op diet and you never know you may even lose a little weight beforehand. HTH all the best Julie xxx

Back