• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

REALLY NEED ADVICE...What am I doing wrong ???

emma-louise

my new life!!
hello everyone,,

If anyone reads this and can offer me advice or suggestions..please!!!
Well..my weight is stalling and I dont know what to do to help it go again.
I had my operation last year sept 20th..and so far with the post-op diet Im 4lbs off 5 stone loss.
Which Im very proud of,but for the last 6 weeks Ive lost 1 lbs every 2 weeks!!
I know..its still a loss,but having major surgery for 1bs losses is very dishearting.

Ive noted a few things where Im going to have to correct..ie too many small snacks!
so today Ive done my exercise machine,and will try to do this everyday.
But I wanted to hear from people who are long out of surgery and did you have stalls and how long did they last?
and how much did you lose per week ?

My general eating has improved as I was being sick a lot,so wonder if thats why Im not losing much..
I am just really fed up today can anyone make me feel better!

thanks

I dont know how much you had to lose but perhaps you are at you optimum weight,and will just steadily lose 1lb every now and then?

Hi emma louise - I cant really help as I am no further out than you but I do know that I now only lose a couple of pounds every week maximum and I am very active. I would definitely cut out all the snacks - go back to post op high protein and as little of anything else as possible and up the exercise. Walk instead of car/bus/train, go up stairs never use a lift and if you dont need to do either of the above much make yourself exercise - join a class because that way you dont just give up when the going gets tough! That would be my suggestion anyway - did not want to just read and run. xx

I'm queen of stalls or not losing.Dietician said stop the snacks and only have 3 meals a day, so thats what I'm trying now don't know if this is any help to you

thanks hsmel,

yes we had our ops near the same time didnt we?
Im definetly cutting out the snacking,I was eating little and often as I was being so sick all the time.
but Im a lot better with foods at the minute.
Im walking a hell of a lot more,and generally more active..
just got to get going again as Ive got 5 stones to go!

stall = totally normal, you probably arent doing anything wrong at all.

Reading a lot of posts I think that we are at a point on our wlj where it is likely that we do stall. If you dont stall weight loss certainly slows down at this point. Just keep plodding on as although as zns says it is unlikely, or unrealistic to expect to lose 100% of your excess weight I am sure if you have 5 stone more to go you will be able to realistically lose a couple of stone or even more in the next 12 months! Good luck. xx

Hi Emma Louise. I had my op a month before you and have so far lost 4 stones 6 pounds post-op. I am now losing at a steady pound a week.

I am in hospital at the moment so I asked the dietician about this the other day. She tells me that this is completely normal and that whilst we will lose quite big amounts at first, it will slow down after a few months. I have to say I found this quite reassuring.

What you can check though:
1) are you drinking 2-3 litres of fluid every day?
2) are you eating the right things? Go back to protein first, then veg, then carbs last. Aim for 6 portions of protein every day.
3) aim to eat enough calories. Though Myfitnesspal suggests we should eating a minimum of 1200 cals, my dietician told me that 800 is fine if that is all we can eat.
4) exercise. I can't do much exercise at all because I have M.E., but if you can do it, it will help.

I know that when our weight loss slows it can be very disheartening. But I am sure that we will all get there eventually. After 6 weeks on the trot of losing a pound a week, I think I have now got my head around the whole thing.

Sending big hugs and feel free to pm me if I can help any more.
Grace xxx

You have had some fab advice hun....Im only approx the same out from bypass as you so Im no expert! Im the opposit to Daftmoo in that I believe in snacks as long as they are good snacks...babybell light, fruit, melba toast with philly light etc. My dietician recommends this and a lot of sucessful bypassers eat 6 or more times a day. Ive always believed that each time you eat you start your metabolism off so thats got to be a good thing :D Hope you get the losses moving again! XX

6 or more a day? wow! That makes me feel a little better. I have my op on 17th and I was sitting at work today feeling sorry for myself. I am really hungry and my friend next to me was eating pizza,the other one Doritos. I just thought to myself 'What am I doing? I know I want to do it but I wont ever be able to eat again!' I link happiness to food, which I guess we all do, that is why we are on here now. My dietician has told me that after the op I dont need to think about calories and fat in soup etc cos the volume will be so small. Is this the case forever? Or after a few months will I have to go back to only buying things with certain amount of fat etc?
Also, I know I shouldnt be thinking this, but will I ever be able to eat anything 'yummy' again (as I would class it now!) Like a bit of macdonalds or doritios or can u really not eat any of it? :eek:

You have had some fab advice hun....Im only approx the same out from bypass as you so Im no expert! Im the opposit to Daftmoo in that I believe in snacks as long as they are good snacks...babybell light, fruit, melba toast with philly light etc. My dietician recommends this and a lot of sucessful bypassers eat 6 or more times a day. Ive always believed that each time you eat you start your metabolism off so thats got to be a good thing :D Hope you get the losses moving again! XX

Hi,
Congratulations on your weight loss. If you are losing 1 pound a week that is fantastic, if you cont to do this you will reach your goal injust over a year from now! So KEEP GOING.
By the way I snack every 2 hours, mostly on baby bel, grapes etc. My weight loss in total is now over 12 stone in 11 months. I was told we need to eat every 2-4 hours to maintain our metabolism. Works for me!
xxxxxxxxxxxx

6 or more a day? wow! That makes me feel a little better. I have my op on 17th and I was sitting at work today feeling sorry for myself. I am really hungry and my friend next to me was eating pizza,the other one Doritos. I just thought to myself 'What am I doing? I know I want to do it but I wont ever be able to eat again!' I link happiness to food, which I guess we all do, that is why we are on here now. My dietician has told me that after the op I dont need to think about calories and fat in soup etc cos the volume will be so small. Is this the case forever? Or after a few months will I have to go back to only buying things with certain amount of fat etc?
Also, I know I shouldnt be thinking this, but will I ever be able to eat anything 'yummy' again (as I would class it now!) Like a bit of macdonalds or doritios or can u really not eat any of it? :eek:

When I say 6 portions of protein, 1 portion is 1 oz of low fat cheese, 1 egg, 2oz meat etc!
But try not to worry! You can eat, there is life post bypass!

erm.... I hate to take issue with your dietician :eek: but you do need to watch your fat and sugar content post-op!
Anything even vagueley high in fat or sugar will/is likely to make you dump and you will feel proper poorly. I have found this to be true for at least for the first few months,;less so over time but I still find fat makes me feel ill. But it's the first few months you will actually have to be the most careful!

Later: yes you can eat Doritos or McDonalds, but you may find you don't want to. (I don't). I tried a cheeseburger a few months ago and totally hated it, haven't wanted to try one again!...
....but do remember that your bypass is a tool and will work best when you work with it. It requires a lifestyle change so be ready to embrace it! But I'm sure that you will, like me, find lovely food you can enjoy. And trust me, the shopping and admiring glances more than make up for the food! :D
Grace xxx

My weight loss has completely slowed down, I was doing on average 3lbs a week up until Christmas, then since Christmas I'm lucky if I get 1lb & nothing has changed... I guess its our bodys wanting to try & hold onto what its been shedding so quickly! You've done brilliantly I've only lost 4 stone 2lbs since my op so yr way ahead of my loss. x

hi em huni, my loss slowed down after a while, and it was because i wasnt eating enough, but i found that by eating more protein and drinking more water, it speeded up a bit, im still losing weight but in lbs now, roughly a lb every 1 or 2 weeks, which im quite happy with. just see what everyone puts and try them out, something is bound to work. good luck huni, hugs xxx

Plenty of fluids, mix up your diet, change things around to confuse your body into thinking the fast has finished....

As to dizzy, who said you can't eat or enjoy food post op? I do on a regular basis....

I am on the mother of all weight loss stalls however the inches have still been moving for me so don't be too tough on yourself.. Keep us posted xx

ps, i still have about 4 1/2 stone i'd like to lose

Back