• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 in 200

lynsey2510

Just been on another website and it said that 1 in 200 people die with 28 days of bypass surgery :(:cry:Is this true?! Or have I just entered a dodgy website? Thats freaked me out a bit.

Hi there,

This if from a NHS UK hospital in Dundee and their information about banding and bypass mortality rates.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Mortality Risk
[/FONT][/FONT]
In the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass technique the likelihood of death in the first 30 days
after the operation has been reported as high as 5% (1 in 20 operations) with the very
best reporting 0.5% (1 in 200 operations). For banding the death rate is 10 times less
at 0.05% in skilled units (1 in 2000 operations), although NICE quotes an average rate
of 1 death per 456 operations in 8 trials of this technique. That is why banding is
preferred choice for many (but not suitable regrettably for some).

There is a real risk with this surgery and not just from the surgery, there is anaesthetic to consider plus possible complications afterwards.

But then think on this, if you stayed the weight you are, you have the same proportionate risk.

There are plenty of us on here who have had sucessful surgery and we are months down the line, yes some of us have had problems too.

The information the hospital give is there for you to weigh up. Not to scare you, you need to be fully informed of the benefits as well as the risks.

Hi Lynsey
The is a chance that something can happen with all surgery . At 25 having my daughter by cesarean I had to be revived on the table and said I`d never have surgery again but I think its worth taking a chance to get my surgery . After all at the weight I am at the moment it could be just time till something happens to me . So don`t worry hun . Good luck and take care .
MARGARET XX

Hi there , try not to read too much into it. There is a risk like the others have said but they weigh this up when you go for the meetings and if the Anaesthetist thinks you are not fit enough, then it won't go ahead so try not to worry. Think positive and even though its not all plain sailing, we all get there in the end!!

That is what scares me about the bypass verus the band, and I know the ups and downs that can happen with the band, but it really scares me the actual statistics of the Op.
Then I read on here so many people going of to have their bypasses and the real success they are acheiving and wish I was brave enough to just go for it...I am scared enough with the stats of the band!! (Chicken Jayne I should be called lol).

That is what scares me about the bypass verus the band, and I know the ups and downs that can happen with the band, but it really scares me the actual statistics of the Op.
Then I read on here so many people going of to have their bypasses and the real success they are acheiving and wish I was brave enough to just go for it...I am scared enough with the stats of the band!! (Chicken Jayne I should be called lol).

Jayne - please dont read this the wrong way - but if your having serious doubts maybe nows the time to re think this ! everyone here can encourage and support your decision either way, but no one here is going to walk in your shoes ! it has to be your choice, based on your needs and how you want to progress your life.

For me it was a no brainer, the thought of spending another day, year or the rest of my life (how ever long fate had pegged for me) horrified me ! on meeting my consultant i signed up and paid the cheque there and then ! it didn't stop me having the normal worries, but for me it was a last desperate hope of being normal.

Jayne - please dont read this the wrong way - but if your having serious doubts maybe nows the time to re think this ! everyone here can encourage and support your decision either way, but no one here is going to walk in your shoes ! it has to be your choice, based on your needs and how you want to progress your life.

For me it was a no brainer, the thought of spending another day, year or the rest of my life (how ever long fate had pegged for me) horrified me ! on meeting my consultant i signed up and paid the cheque there and then ! it didn't stop me having the normal worries, but for me it was a last desperate hope of being normal.

Totally agree with you SS.

Love the new photo (grrrrr). Made me LOL a lot.

The by-pass stats are scarey, but as the medic I saw said, remember they are for the whole of the country not just one area, also the fact that surgeons become more and more experienced at doing procedures the more they carry them out, and there are more and more by-pass' being done now.
The main cause of death in many post op cases is Pulmonary Embolus caused by a DVT(deep venous thrombosis) when a clot that forms in the leg works its way round the system into the lungs and causes the P.E.
Now I had two P.E's after having my gall bladder out in 1980 and was very poorly but I survived, and have had another 7 ops since and been fine with heparin cover, thats the injections that thin your blood to help prevent thrombosis(clots). Some of the companies brand it as clexane.
The point I am making is you have to go into these situations fully prepared, and as positive as possible. You cannot dwell on 'what if'
There are people who could have problems after banding just the same. SS is right you must do what you feel is best for you.
I still get nervous if I am going to theatre, that is natural. You have to weigh up if the surgery benefits outweigh the possible risks and make your decision from there for you.
However nowadays, they use the 'moon boots' which fit around your lower legs and take over venous return, sending your blood back up the vein, for you, and this greatly reduces the risk of DVT. But still the quicker you are up and about the better, and most hospitals will have you up the next day no matter what you have had done, even if its only for a short time.
I hope this helps a bit baby jayne

Love Jay xx

I'm also in agreement with SS - you have to be a 100% clear in your mind it is what you want. If an overweight person decides not to have anything done to help them become healthier people then they are also at risk from many health risks that can cut their lives - so i am looking forward to my bypass op (and yes feeling nervous too) but if i didn't feel like this i would be worried too.

Sending you hugs with fairy dust to help but you in a soothing mood x

Baby Jayne where in Liverpool do you live? and where did your nickname come from?

Thanky Guys for all your comments, wild horses wont stop me having my Op I really do want get on that loseing team lol. I'm just having the usual fears and axieties that we all get pre-surgery. I have had Ops before and not been nervous, I think it is because I am putting myself through privately and I have Children plus a Husband to consider...if the truth be known I feel guilt more than anything, that is because I lost my Mother 10 years ago and still miss her and wish I could turn to her every day. The big problem for me and worry is I wouldn't want to die because of who I am leaving behind.
Now I have got to grow up, shut up and just bloody well get on with this as nobody has my arm up my back making me do this, it is my choice and thats the thing I feel so bad about CHOICE and not neccesity.

So next Saturday 23rd May I am having Op as my chest infection has gone and its not going to be cancelled again (3rd Time Lucky!!)and it's the start of my new slim life.

I am of to the Lake District tomorrow overnight and starting my pre-op diet Saturday morning, so having whatever food and drink I want tomorrow...gonna pig out lol!!

Topsy I live near Walton Vale, Walton do you live in Liverpool?
My nickname was given to me by my brother who says I am spoilt lol!!
When I had an Op on my Ovaries 9 years ago, I had just come out of hospital and I went for a lay down. My Brother had moved in with my family temp, my husband made me comfortable and left a cup of tea on the floor by bed instead of on the bedside table. When I tried to get it I couldn't so I used my Mobile to ring the house phone and asked him to come up to pass it to me...he came up and said who do you think you are baby jayne (Bette Davis) well apart from my middle name being Jayne anyway...the name stuck and he often refers to me as Baby Jayne.

Sad I know lol!! couldn't think of another user name.

How did you get yours?

I think its fair to say that everyone goes through the pre op nerves, the fact the surgery is ellective and our obesity plays a big factor on the risks doesn't help, i guess if you had to have an op to save your life after an accident it would be different, and you wouldn't have much choice in it all.

Jayne - Where abouts in the Lakes are you going, i'm up there at the end of next week for a weeks walking and climbing ?

Going to Lake Windermere Silver just over night with my Sister, we often go there it is beautiful. I am wanting to do some of the walks when I am recovered after Op, as thats the one thing I have not attempted yet there.
Where about are you going? We where at Ulverston myself and my Husband a few weeks ago, we had lovely weather and went to the markets there etc.
Got high hopes of living there one day, but will have to win the lottery first lol!!

Hi Jayne - i'm a scouser but i've lived in Staffordshire for nearly 30yrs it's just that when i was born the lady in the next bed to my mum had her daughter 29th July and then i was born 30th. Both my mum and the lady in the next bed became friends and her nickname was baby Jayne. Just seemed strange to see baby Jayne in Liverpool i know this is a small world but i know it's not that small.

My mum died 13yrs ago and my dad 5yrs ago - a day doesn't go by when i miss them both you know how it is. Have a good breakin the Lake District x

Going to Lake Windermere Silver just over night with my Sister, we often go there it is beautiful. I am wanting to do some of the walks when I am recovered after Op, as thats the one thing I have not attempted yet there.
Where about are you going? We where at Ulverston myself and my Husband a few weeks ago, we had lovely weather and went to the markets there etc.
Got high hopes of living there one day, but will have to win the lottery first lol!!

We're staying at Troutbeck just up the road from Windermere, we go up there quite a bit nowadays as i've really got into hill walking, which is something i could never have done, i couldn't even climb the stairs without getting out of breath, now i'm running up Helvellyn before breakfast lol ;) Last weekend i was in the Brecons.

Thanks for your replies ladies. Im much like you Babyjane. I have a partner and a gorgeous 3 year old that I coudnt stand to leave behind if something happened to me during or just after the bypass. By the way im from Liverpool too! Im in Sefton PCt though. The Pulmonary Embolus, is there certain people who get this? Or can it happen to anyone of us? Isnt there a test they can do to see who needs the drug to thin your blood? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Last edited:
Dying as a result of this procedure was my no.1 and perhaps only worry in retrospect. And, like a previous poster on this thread, I too was brought back on the table after having my youngest daughter by C section (general anaesthesia).

Given that the 1:200 ratio is a *national* scoring and therefore aggregating all bariatric surgeons work, I think there is a need to get the risk into proportion. Plus! For WLS I read that the stats are extended to include deaths up to 12 months post-op.

Pulmonary embolism is a risk for all patients undergoing surgery under general anaesthesia but obese people are higher risk because our bodies react differently than say and average sized frame. But all this is taken into account during pre-op testing etc.

It is vital that we do as we are instructed by our surgical teams to minimise potential risks.

Thanks for your replies ladies. Im much like you Babyjane. I have a partner and a gorgeous 3 year old that I coudnt stand to leave behind if something happened to me during or just after the bypass. By the way im from Liverpool too! Im in Sefton PCt though. The Pulmonary Embolus, is there certain people who get this? Or can it happen to anyone of us? Isnt there a test they can do to see who needs the drug to thin your blood? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Hi there all,
I was given 7 syringes containing something to thin my blood (cant think what it was called). I injected myself every morning after the op, I thought this was routine. x

Back