• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 in 200

My neices surgeon said that those stats were based right across the board and included patients who were in the 40st+ bracket who's risk is obviously going to be higher. He said that the majority of his patients weighed around 20-26st and if the stats were taken at that weight it would be negligable.

You have to remember there is a risk with all sugery no matter what type. But I agree with the others if there is any doubt at all then maybe this isn't the right road for you.

My neices surgeon said that those stats were based right across the board and included patients who were in the 40st+ bracket who's risk is obviously going to be higher. He said that the majority of his patients weighed around 20-26st and if the stats were taken at that weight it would be negligable.

You have to remember there is a risk with all sugery no matter what type. But I agree with the others if there is any doubt at all then maybe this isn't the right road for you.

Its not that this isnt right for me, im just getting all the information I need first, Ive only just been referred by my GP, so have plenty of time to do even more research than I already have done. I think most people have said they were worried about the death rate, its only normal isnt it. Thanks for all the info ladies, you really have helped. :)

I think we've all done the 'panic' stages before our surgery - me included.. quite badly in fact on my part..

at the end of the day, the mortality rates are scary BUT when you think about the amount of people who have the surgery and have NO issues or side-effects - and putting it into perspective - if the mortality is 1:2000 for l.g.b - then out of 4,500 people who had the surgery in the last year - only 2 people didnt survive but there is one other thing you MUST remember..

there are always different circumstances for everyone, the people who didn't survive may have had other serious issues related to their immediate health which contributed to their death - NOT necessarily the surgery having CAUSED it..

when I saw my pre-assessment nurse, I was blunt and asked how many people had my surgeon lost during this operation, she stated - ' he didnt and hasnt lost ANYONE during the operation but there have been 2 people in his almost 5yrs of performing the surgery here - that have died. One patient was going to whether they had the op or not - and the other had an unrelated health issue which contributed towards it'

and that.. was enough to reassure me that I was in safe hands.. I'm still here, very thankful that I am and looking forward to getting to where I want to be..

you will also get there, however long it may take.. but we're all here to help, support you and to listen..

:D

Its not that this isnt right for me, im just getting all the information I need first, Ive only just been referred by my GP, so have plenty of time to do even more research than I already have done. I think most people have said they were worried about the death rate, its only normal isnt it. Thanks for all the info ladies, you really have helped. :)

Its very normal yes. I'm petrified if being honest especially in light of the fact that my stats were raised to 1-5% due to other illnesses (have my op Weds). But you will get the chance to discuss this very issue at length with your surgeon and aneathetist too so they will prepare you as best as they can.

Guess you just have to want it enough at the end of the day and although everyone is very supportive including the hospitals and forums etc, its still a very personal journey your contemplating, so you have to do whats right for you and those close to you.

I intend to rewrite the stats on mortality and i will live to OVER 100!!! Remember it is all about POSITIVE thinking

Re: Pulmonary embolism. I am not sure if it standard procedure everywhere else, but do know that at Walsall Manor they inject you with Clexane post-op as an in patient and then issue with 28 days worth upon discharge to use at home.

Clexane is a blood-thinning agent.

Hi

Silver, had a lovely time at Windermere, check out Hillthwaite House as it is a lovely hotel if you are thinking of going again.
I to am looking forward to the walks, just don't feel fit enough yet.
7 DAYS TO GO Whhooo Hoooo!! then I may be able to get up them hills lol!!

Back