• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 week post op constipated, is it normal

desperate2lose

Hi

I have had my surgery last Saturday and since then I have only been passing water. My diet is just sips of water, occasional soup, mostly coffee milk. Nothing else is going down. I thought since I am only on liquid diet, it is not unusual to go to the loo.
I was prescribed gentle laxative syrup by my team, but it didn't seem to do the job.

Should I be worried?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Its completely normal to be constipated and for some of us it doesnt change still av me moments now and am 19 months post op xx Prune juice, water keep it up xx

Try to stay as hydrated as possible. I found benefibre every day in my tea helps keep everything moving. I know a lot of people suffer with this so I'm sure others can give you more advice as the benefibre seems to keep me regular. Pineapple is good for later on but don't try that yet, too early but pineapple juice and prune juice watered down will be great. Good luck x

I suffered terribly and ended up with an impacted bowel so I urge you to drink as much as possible in the first couple of weeks....this was the only thing I suffered with so can't complain too much but at the time was very painfull and needed lots of Movicol in the end

Thanks everyone. Today I managed half litre plain water, 500ml of milky coffee, 6tsp of porridge, 6tsp of very liquids lentils. This double of what I was having all last week. I am gonna increase water intake.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

You can take liquid ones straight away.

I take dulco ease and have taken them since the day after my bypass, on the milk diet I was so constipated it was awful, I have vowed never to get into that state again so I take dulcoease and so far that has done the trick

Sensible me says very little or almost liquid diet pre op, nothing for a couple of days then liquids doesn't necessarily mean constipation, just means slow movement cause nothing to go through. But I haven't been constipated and I haven't stalled either. Call be abnormal. Have to say haven't done any form of laxative or prune juice either just made sure I got as much liquids in as I could manage, which have not been excessive. Before op was at least once a day now about once ever 3 days, not constipated, just a different normal. My experience may not be yours, just laxatives for me just smacks of eating disorders, ( no insult intended, just don't want to swap one problem for another) so increase liquid first and allow your body to balance.

Hi I suffered with constipation during a lighter life stink. It's horrific and depressing. I would goto the doctors / pharmacy and get something to assist you. Don't grin and bear it!

Hi,

Try to drink as much water as u possibly can and try to move around alot, this also helps....worked for me but as u know everyone is different :)

Hope it gets better for u x

Back