• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

13 months and still waiting...

Liesa

Mr Patel told me my surgery should be feb this year... im piling on the pounds and feeling really depressed

how do you all cope with this waiting time???

how do you all cope with this waiting time???

Back in January 2011 when my GP first referred me he advised me:

"Just go through the motions, no matter how long it takes, you will have your operation."

The one thing I learned really early on is DON'T put on weight (or if you do -- get it off again before your next appointment at the hospital).

In Jan 2011 i met a fellow Whittington patient (in a social setting -- I had not even been to my first appointment then) who had been put back by 6 months. In between two of her appointments, Nov 2010 and Jan 2011 she had put on 9 lbs over the Xmas period .... and the hospital had put her back by 6 months.

Please try to get the weight back off before your next appointment at the hospital -- it will only happen if you think positively.

oh my God, thankyou so much for that... phew! saved by you... hubby Steve and i have decided from monday we are both dieting... hes type 2 diabetic and started going to the gym in the evenings with one of our sons so hes trying to sort himself... i know i must get some of this extra extra lard off its really upsetting me, im not really eating more im just immobile cos of my joints bit of a catch 22 but new day tomorrow

Liesa,

I know exactly about being immobile due to joint problems. I have very bad osteo-arthritis. It was only diagnosed in July last year (but had probably been present for some time).

I spent 4 months on crutches during which time my weight stalled for a long time, and only started losing again when I managed to start walking again.

I am still in a lot of pain, and 90% convinced I need 1 x new hip and 1 x new knee ...... (orthopaedic surgeon would not make a decision back in October last year until after my gastric op) ...... so I currently have to put up with the pain and discomfort and very slow walking (as if I have rusty joints).

The only thing I can do at the moment (pre-op) to lose weight or keep my weight stable is monitor my calorie intake and fill up on lots of salad and soup !!!

Best wishes,
Sharon

Back