• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

14ml v 10ml?

Bella'sBand

Just found out I have a 14ml band. Is that a benefit or not? I was only expecting the 10ml band but after reading my GP letter discovered it is 14ml. Does anyone else have a 14ml band and are there any benefits or down sides to having the larger band?
Thanks everyone :)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

Mines 9mil, I suggest you ask your provider - its ultimately up to the surgeon which one / size they use.

At the end of the day we have what we have xx

flutterby1966

I agree with Mazza. It's the consultants choice and they (I hope) know best. Mines a 14mil band ... Maybe I had a porky stomach :D

Bella'sBand

Yeah I know it was the surgeons decision, I am not bothered about having a 14ml :) I would just like to hear if anyone who has a 14ml band thinks there is any benefits or downsides to having the larger band.
I am not bothered as to the ''why's'' I have it just would love to hear others opinions on different size bands.
Thank you ladies :)

Bella'sBand

@Flutterby If you do not mind me asking how much of a fill do you have in your band and did it take you many fills to find your sweet spot? Thanks :D

tracyt84

Hiya,my surgeon told me that band size depends on the size of your stomach,I've got a 9ml band which I'm suprised about as the ammount I could put away I thought my stomach wouldve been hugeeee!but he said it was small so I've got a small band,I've got 4mls in mine and I don't have much restriction yet but I have some,a little more and I think ill finally be at my sweet spot,can't wait xxx

flutterby1966

I have 10.25mils. Until I had around 9 or 9.5 mils I didn't really feel much. I have always relied on calorie counting rather than the band so never reached that 'sweet spot'. My nurse said with a 14mil band people tend to feel it between 9 and 11 mils. I reckon i would need another quarter or half mil to be able to rely on the band to tell me when I am full. Two weeks of the month I feel full on around 1100 calories a day but the other two weeks I could eat a horse. So I dare not have any more fill. I don't want to be too tight. But that's my personal choice. I think to get any idea of whether bigger is better, so to speak, you'd have to find someone who had had both sizes of band ... Going to be interesting to read peoples views though x

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I would just like to hear if anyone who has a 14ml band thinks there is any benefits or downsides to having the larger band.
I am not bothered as to the ''why's'' I have it just would love to hear others opinions on different size bands.
Thank you ladies :)

Yes but how would they know if its better or not, its the only one they have.

In my experience of being on here its people with higher starting BMI's that tend to get the larger bands.

flutterby1966

My first fill took me to 7 mils and it's taken 6 fills to get me here

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
9 mil bands are the swedish band, the others - 10 and 14 are the lap band system ones.

Apart from the sizes, the differences are how the ports are sited and how the fills sit in the band.

Bella'sBand

Hi Tracey, That surprises me to know that too, because I was never a big portion eater, I always had the smallest portion of everyone at meal times and was never one for seconds or a picker! My problem was suger! That darn sweet tooth! So that is why I am so surprised I had the 14ml put in as I honestly hand on heart am not a ''big eater'' which I know is kind of unbelievable for someone who is obese lol :) But it is true, I do not eat take out and only eat wholemeal pasta and rice and have done for years, I rarely eat bread and never set foot in McDonalds :) I am a sugar picker not a big portion eater so if this is the reason for a bigger band I am more mistified than ever lol :D
Oh well I am happy to have my band no matter the size, I am sure Mr El Hasani knows exactly what he is doing and I have 100% faith in him. If he opened me up and thought I needed a 14ml so be it!
You have done fantastic! Well done you :D I love seeing all the post oppers success. You are all so inspiring!
Thank you and thanks everyone :)

Bella'sBand

In my experience of being on here its people with higher starting BMI's that tend to get the larger bands.

What I meant I would like to hear from people with a 14ml band whether they think there are any benefits or downsides. Not whether it is better or not. I am happy to have it just thought all through the process I was getting the standard 10ml so just talking out loud trying to get my head round it really.
I hope I am not giving the impression I am disappointed or that I am asking if one is better than the other as I am not. Just would like to hear others opinions in general on band sizes and if the have a 14ml how they are dealing with it. I am not expectiong comparisions :) just views in general.

Bella'sBand

@Flutterby WOW first fill 7mls? That is good to know. As everyone seems to get 2cc or 3cc so I am prepared when I go if the say 5cc or over and not fall over in shock lol :)

flutterby1966

Mine was done under X-ray at the hospital in droitwich. Thg don't do that any more I don't think, but i may be wrong, i think i was one of the last! It was really interesting to watch the barium go through the band like mercury and see the band and port on the X-ray. I am a saddo geek! Maybe my stomach wasn't as fatty as I thought LOL for the doctor to put so much in.

Bella'sBand

Yeah they told me although the literature says xray I will not be having one that they have changed it now and they take a picture at the time it is put in instead? I could have that wrong but I am sure that is what I was told.
Yeah 7mls is a lot. I think if I get 2cc at a time it will take forever lol to get any restriction.
I just had a whole tin of tomatoe soup. I was fine when I was eating it but feel rather bloated now, like I ate 4 tins. Is that normal? And did you feel uncomfortable when you burped in the begining? Like a pressure? But as soon as you burp its gone? Sorry I bet all these newbie questions are so annoying but if you dont ask you dont know right? :)
Thank you for sharing Flutterby it is really appreciated :)

flutterby1966

I don't / cannot burp. I get a lot of wind / bloating if I overheat / undereat or eat certain foods...but it has to find its way out a different way :8855:

rose2022

Im making lots of notes off this thread - no idea what band il end up with but great to have insider info before my op!! Thanks guys :)

mulberryblue

Hi, I have a 14ml band but my start BMI was only 33.5. I was told by my surgeon that it depended on the size of the organ (stomach) not the person's weight. I think the only draw back to having a larger band is that it takes a longer time to fill it to restriction. My surgeon put 6.5mls in mine during the surgery, I have since had two fills and it is up to 9mls. I honestly can say that I can't feel a thing from it yet and have lost only 2lbs in 7 weeks which is very disappointing.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have had my band for over 3 years and I'm at goal. If you read my other posts on here you will see that I say its up to the surgeon which band you have. Also that 10 and 14 mils are the lapband system and mine, 9 mils is a swedish band.

If you have a large stomach in theory you should feel restriction sooner. Its only when you start to lose the fat around the stomach that the difference in size 'may' come into play.

Maybe you need to contact your provider?!

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Hi Bella. I have a 14ml band wi 5ml put in at the time it was fitted. I dOnt feel any restriction at all, my appetite is back and I'm relying on calorie counting (even though dietician has told me not to at this stage). My first fill is 7 September and I am looking forward to it because I'm worried I will slip back to being too confident about the amount I can eat! Will let you know how much they put in and what it feels like. Tracey xxx