• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band fill not worked

Rachealtaylor

I am lost and need help! I recently had a band fill which i had to pay £110 for but it had not worked and am getting no joy from the hospital group with father are/ customer care. I had 10ml in my 14ml band but my Weightloss had slowed to almost a standstill. My portion sizes were still small etc but after my fill taking me to 11ml I am constantly hungry, I can eat a 3 course meal no problem and have put on 3lbs in 4 weeks. I contacted THG only to be told I would need to pay £50 for fluid check and then £395 for barium X-ray as it sounds like my band or port is either leaking or the nurse missed my port when filling! I was horrified not only by the thought that either of these could be the case but also I would have to pay to check. I was the told I should ask my GP for help which I did but apparently the NHS view is that I paid for my surgery so anything to do with it is down to me. I was given the address to write a complaint but due to other things happening in my life right now I haven't done so far.

I would be sooooo grateful for any help or advice or if anyone has been through similar

Hi Rachel
sorry I cannot be more positive, but more or less what you decribe is true. Regarding the band fill, it is probably true that you can eat a three course meal. The band does not (unfortunately) stop us eating a big meal. I could tbh. The band only suppresses our appetite or hunger. Listen to your body, and try and stop eating when not hungry anymore.
It is also true what you wrote about the NHS and privately banded patients. We all have to pay for our aftercare. They only intervene if the band has to be taken out immediately (eg slip or erosion). Bari x ray prices do wary, if you want that it is worth shopping around. If you want x ray, you could always turn up at a and e (like I did a few weeks ago when suffering from acid reflux and other problems), and they DO an x ray, but they ALSO EMPTY THE BAND AND DON'T PUT IT BACK, so in the long term it works out more expensive. I only needed to get a little bit removed and now I got an empty band, so it worked out v expensive to go to a and e....
Sorry I cannot be more positive. I was banded by thg too in Apr 2012.
Good luck.

Back