• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Restriction after fill?

top_kat

Just wondering . . .

I had my first fill yesterday at 5 weeks post op, there was only 0.1ml left in my band from having it flushed during surgery.

I have a 14ml band and she placed into it yesterday 5mls.

(when she found it . . .5 needles and lots of pain later!)

Anyway, had to drink water before I left, it went down easier than it had before the fill. And Now Im on liquids only for 3 days. Except, I was expecting that having had a fill that I would actually feel a difference . . .but I don't.

I know its liquids only, I had a yoghurt last night, expecting that it would take a while to go down and I would feel full for a while . . . I didn't at all. And I am still able to drink whatever amount of liquid/fluid that I want.

Will I only notice the difference of restriction at the time I get onto food? Or should I have noticed some sort of difference after the fill but with liquids?

I know they go down easier, hence why my provider advises no drinking 30 mins before or after eating, but . . .I just thought if I was having something thicker, such as yoghurt etc that I would at least feel a little "full".

2nd day of liquid today . . .I don't feel hungry granted (but don't in the mornings since having the band anyway), but am wondering whether this is normal, odd or whether I shouldn't expect to notice any different until I get to eat some food?

thanks in advance to anyone who can help/share experiences etc

Kat x

Until you try real foods u won't really be able too tell, take ur time and try not too rush which I know sounds easy but I have 7ml in my 10ml band and I've gotta go for a defill as when your over tight like myself it makes your life a misery , good luck xx

Thank you snack, thats really helpful :) and appreciated. I can't hit food until sunday, and then only pureed for 3 days, so it wont be until later in the week that I will really find out . . .was just concerned that I don't feel any difference pre-fill (apart from the feeling I've been punched from where she couldn't find my port! :( )

Hope it goes well for you as I say with liquids and slider food it's very hard to tell,wait until you try too eat crunchy foods etc i bet you ll feel a difference good luck and happy mushys :) xx

Hi Kat

I had 2.5 in my 14 bad boy band last sat and I dont feel any real restriction in fact I have felt hungrier which I think may be head hunger to be honest but some people do not feel real restriction until after a few fills

I was only advised mushy for three days and back now on normal food it really is only when I eat fast It's not good

Hope all ok

Luv Jane

Have you only got 2.5mls in your band in total then Jane?

Hi Kat, we are at the same stages and I also had my fill yesterday. I had 1ml in my 10ml band and she put 2.5 mls in taking me up to 3.5 mls.
Like you I feel no different, I was led to believe from the nurse and from reading here that it takes a few fills before we feel optimum restriction. I think in the early days we have to rely on willpower a bit which i think is tough !! xx

it is indeed, especially as for the first 5 weeks post op, I had nothing in there at all and it was willpower, its strange tho, cos today is the first day even before the fills that I've actually got to a point of feeling really hungry. And right now I could eat a horse!

top_kat said:
it is indeed, especially as for the first 5 weeks post op, I had nothing in there at all and it was willpower, its strange tho, cos today is the first day even before the fills that I've actually got to a point of feeling really hungry. And right now I could eat a horse!

That is how I have felt, I think it's common to feel that way as your body catching up with the loss and thinking what the he'll us going on xx

Hi Kat, I had my 2nd fill last Saturday and now have 6.25ml in 14ml band, and I too feel hungrier than ever. Have just come back today from a few days break at the Lakes and have weighed myself and would seem I have put 2 or 3 pounds on.... to say I am gutted is an understatement as I have done loads of walking for the first time in years, but the only thing I can put it down to is the alcohol I have had on holiday.... old holiday habit that I must learn not to repeat! Oh well back to routine and good eating habits again, but have to say when I have eaten salad and chicken, restriction does kick in quite quickly. Keep up good work, you are doing so well, Liz xx

Well, the 3 days on liquid were difficult, I felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hungry! Now onto mashed as of this morning and Im feeling ok during the day, dont want to eat particularly, but when evening comes around I could eat a horse . .

Calorie wise, Im way below, and had a turkey minced cottage pie type thing with swede/carrot topping, some brocolli and cauliflower, followed my providers guidelines with my timer, max 20 mins, but my god, I could have still eaten a horse after it . . .even for a long while after it :(

I had a yoghurt a couple of hours after tea at about 6pm, a banane at 8pm and a milky coffee at 9pm, and Ive eaten about 700 cals, I dont want to eat during the day cos dont feel like it, but come the evenings Im hungry, but I was expecting to feel full after eating the cottage pie/veg and I didn't :(

Top kat No wonder you feel hungry ... 700 calories Is quite low! Just wait till you are on crunchy foods and the receptors start working properly in your stomach... you will sure feel a difference then. I used to be full on a couple of kracker wheats with cream cheese and peanut butter ... Yum ... Those were the days! It's definitely better to have to rely on a wee bit of will power rather than be ill from being overfilled. There are days I could still eat a horse and other days when I am tight .... :rolleyes: xxx

It is difficult when I dont feel like eating food until mid afternoon onwards, I try to have a yoghurt and I've just brought some orange juice to have some in the mornings.

Today has been a little better, altho I didn't eat until mid afternoon after my yoghurt at lunchtime, but I had dinner early this evening and from my one mouthful every minute for 20 mins I am full and still feeling full now. . .

Am hoping that like you say, when i get back onto crunchier foods that I will notice a difference too, although I had lots of chicken breast with my dinner and a little bit of cauliflower and brocolli, and felt quite full after the chicken :)

Fingers crossed it will start kicking in, but definitely dont want to be overfilled or to have lots of fill too early.

Thanks so much for your help x

Back