• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

15 months since bypass...should I be worried?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hello everyone,
Haven't posted for a while now,but wanted some advice from others who have had a bypass.
I had mine done 15 months ago,and I've recently had my yearly appointment done along with my bloods.
My bloods are showing my copper levels are slightly low,iron and a b vitamin low(can't remember which one).
I must say lately I'm so tired I'm irritable and I just feel crappy.
Has anyone else had problems with bloods?
Thanks all xx

Are you having B12 injections? If not get your GP to give you them real quickly. What advice did your GP give you following your bloods coming back? It sounds like a minor supplement adjustment is required, nothing to worry about but you should have a chat with your doctor to get their view

I can't advise as haven't had my bypass yet but u have b12 injections every 12 weeks as my body just doesn't absorb it generally and when I get to about 7 weeks I know they're use as I am irritable ad tired to the point I sometimes worry I won't be able to lift myself out the bath! I am also very tearful and cold.

Karlos said:
Are you having B12 injections? If not get your GP to give you them real quickly. What advice did your GP give you following your bloods coming back? It sounds like a minor supplement adjustment is required, nothing to worry about but you should have a chat with your doctor to get their view

Hi Karlos,

Thanks for replying,seen as we are both Salford patients xx
My doctor at Salford just forward the results of my bloods to my local doctors.
So I suppose I should go to my doctors.
It's was mentioned on the letter I may have to have an iron transfusion.
But the tireness is quite overwhelming somedays.
It's wasnt mentioned about a b12 injection though.
Just a tad worried as I hope this isn't the start of vitamin definencys after just year and a half xx

minxtress said:
I can't advise as haven't had my bypass yet but u have b12 injections every 12 weeks as my body just doesn't absorb it generally and when I get to about 7 weeks I know they're use as I am irritable ad tired to the point I sometimes worry I won't be able to lift myself out the bath! I am also very tearful and cold.

Hi

So lack of b12 makes you ratty as hell ??
As I'm terrible at the minute with my moods,that's interfering to know x

Hi Karlos,

Thanks for replying,seen as we are both Salford patients xx
My doctor at Salford just forward the results of my bloods to my local doctors.
So I suppose I should go to my doctors.
It's was mentioned on the letter I may have to have an iron transfusion.
But the tireness is quite overwhelming somedays.
It's wasnt mentioned about a b12 injection though.
Just a tad worried as I hope this isn't the start of vitamin definencys after just year and a half xx

I was a Manchester Royal patient honey so never treated by Salford but I did attend the support group for a while so I know the staff there and have a lot of respect for them. Have you been taking your supplement regularly each day? if so then I'm sure its just a little adjustment needed is all. Worry not they'll sort it just go see your GP

Karlos said:
I was a Manchester Royal patient honey so never treated by Salford but I did attend the support group for a while so I know the staff there and have a lot of respect for them. Have you been taking your supplement regularly each day? if so then I'm sure its just a little adjustment needed is all. Worry not they'll sort it just go see your GP

Ahh it's because I was looking at your pictures and chatting to you when I was at the support group I presumed you had it done at Salford x
Yes I take my foreval etc,will have to go doctors.
Thanks Karlos x

Dont you take an iron suppliment Emma?
I am a staunch advocate of the B12 injection and wouldn't miss mine. I have on every three months. Your surgical team have probably written to your doctor advising that you have the injections but your doctors have probably not notified you. Contact them. I have to contact mine a week or so before my injection is due and they get it ready for me. It doen't hurt and it does me a power of good.

Lynne x

wizzbang said:
Dont you take an iron suppliment Emma?
I am a staunch advocate of the B12 injection and wouldn't miss mine. I have on every three months. Your surgical team have probably written to your doctor advising that you have the injections but your doctors have probably not notified you. Contact them. I have to contact mine a week or so before my injection is due and they get it ready for me. It doen't hurt and it does me a power of good.

Lynne x

Hi lynne

Yes I take iron,but I suffer with heavy periods so it makes matter worse.
The doctor told me I may run into problems after the bypass as you can't store iron very well.
I may ask about this injection though,as my tireness is bad and my moods are all over the place.
It's worried me a lot about my mood swings,as family are getting the brunt of it x

Just thinking,
Can I ask thd doctor for a b12 injection,even if the hospital hasn't mentioned about having it done?
Thanks x

On 1st december over a month after my 3 mth check up I got a call from my GP to collect a prescription from chemists for iron tablets & add zinc to my list of vitamins & minerals. Get my bloods done again late jan early feb then got a call when I rang for a repeat script asking me to go in & chat about the letter from dietitian.
I feel so much better now I'm on the iron tabs 200mg 3 times a day I didn't realise just how tired I felt until I was told I was low in iron & zinc putting it down to diet, work, stress etc. once I was told it was as of my body finally had permission to feel so tired I felt crap & so I took a days sick extending the weekend by a day & felt better for it. Within a week I felt great & full of energy again able to do so much more than I have for months. Whether I need B12 jabs yet I plan to discuss when I see my GP on Wednesday as my grandad did for pernicious anaemia in his old age I expect at some point I may well do but until then I shall enjoy my new found energy & start doing the exercises I have felt to tired to do since my op.

When i was younger i suffered from anemia as my iron levels were always low... thats does make you tired hun, your GP will get you on the right track hun xx

Thanks for replys,
Ive had zinc but they was the dissolvable ones they made me so sick.
I also take iron,I'm just really wanting to know why my moods are all over the place at the minute!
I know low iron makes you tired but mood swings??

I read somewhere on here about testosterone being stored in fat by our bodies & so as we burn the fat as we lose weight it is released into our system & if I remember rightly can trigger the mood swings.

Oh forget I take little zinc tablets from natures aid they have a faint blue tint to them but are small enough to go down easily with no sucky feeling for me at least. Cost £3.49 for 30tablets from my local chemists.

penelope1008 said:
Oh forget I take little zinc tablets from natures aid they have a faint blue tint to them but are small enough to go down easily with no sucky feeling for me at least. Cost £3.49 for 30tablets from my local chemists.

Thanks for that,
Will have to ask at doctors about this irritability as it's just getting worse.
The strange thing is I know I'm being moody but just can't help myself to stop it,it's upsetting me being like this x
Just wish I knew why x

Any advice folks on irritability?
Has anyones elses bloods been affected by a bypass...and have you had symptoms from it.

Help pretty please x

Sorry pushed this message up,
Can I be the only one that bloods arent right after gastric bypass..

Really needing some info x

i get moody - i miss food (sorry but i do) as in belly washing a bog glass of diet coke, or finished a lovely chinese take away. I dont miss buying size 24 tops or duds!

its happening less and less. i was watching food hospital and there was a woman with pms - they gave her calcium and it helped her symptoms (irritable and moody amongst other things) and actually i would say my pms is less since the op.... im putting it down to the adcal d3....

i dunno just a thought for you re the calcium....?

xx keep is up dated

Back