• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st appointment L&D

frodoald

I was pretty nervous about my 1st appointment yesterday but it all went well :)

First off I had to fill in a loooong form about everything under the sun :D and then I had to see the nurse who took my blood, did my height/weight measurements, blood pressure etc. She also got me to fill in a Sleep Apnea questionnaire. She did say that I would probably need to lose quite a bit of weight before surgery as they tend to have a maximum BMI limit of approx 70 - but then said that it would be up to the surgeon. For me this is about 5 stone :eek:
However, as this thought had already occurred to me I was not that upset by it - in fact it made me determined that the losing weight starts now ! (Well Monday anyway once I have got my food cupboards and brain in gear!!)

Then it was off to have an ECG - which I wasn't expecting but was pretty straightforward.

Next up I went in to see the consultant who had a long chat about my medical/weight history, family medical problems, current diet etc, He was really friendly and asked what surgery I wanted. He agreed with me that the sleeve was probably a good option and said that he saw me as a good candidate for surgery so would refer me to the multi-disciplinary team :)

All in all it was a really positive experience and I am in a positive mood to start the diet on Monday. :D

Really really pleased it went well x x

Good luck on your journey - we'll all be here to support you :)
xXx

Thanks everyone.

Sue - I hope your appointment goes well on Monday :)

i'm back there on the 9th of august for my pre op check and to see the dietician again ready for my op on the 30th

the only thing i found strange with the obesity waiting room is the magazines on the table are full of full fat recipes

i'm back there on the 9th of august for my pre op check and to see the dietician again ready for my op on the 30th

the only thing i found strange with the obesity waiting room is the magazines on the table are full of full fat recipes

Good luck :)
I must admit I did notice that they were all from 2009 or before but I didn't actually pick one up to read! Too busy filling in the reams of questionnaire!

Best of luck.:bestwishes: I think the first appointments are terrifying because it's like stepping into the unknown. Well you've done that now, so onward and upwards....
I also think the most important thing about starting a new diet is having your head in the right place. If you use this site as motivation and set some achievable short term goals, I'm sure you'll reach the day of your surgery in know time.
If I feel like falling off the wagon, I log on here and read some of the diaries to keep me on the right track.

Good luck! :cross:

Hi, Good to hear that things went well for you. I am 8 months post op from the L&D and things are going well. Just wanted you to know that I had excellent care there and although the hospital can be very noisy when you go in, a pair of ear plugs can defo smooth the way. Wishing you all the best! xx

i've had a few night stay in the l&d in my time (my local hospital) for various ops and i have to agree the ear plugs are a good idea but.......................don't jump out of your skin when they wake you up during the night for checks :4635: :eek:

I've just realise that we have the same surgeon. He was totally great with me and spent ages discussing the surgery even on the actual morning that he saw me post op. You couldn't be in safer or nicer hands (and I'm saying that even after I asked him how many of these surgeries he had done about 15 mins before going to theatre as I couldn't find any references to him being a bariatric surgeon) xx

It all starts here :) I was where you are in or around September last year, now i'm trying not to pick my scars (I'm a disgusting child lol!)

good luck, the MDT @ L&D are great as is everyone there I met! they will look after u!

Good luck Hun :)

I have just had my appointments through for the nurse/dietician/psychologist and they are all for 9th August :) What time are you there? Mine are all in the afternoon.

Best of luck. I am 3 weeks post sleeve at the L&D. Fantastic group of people at the ORC. I had Mr Barreca, absolute diamond geezer. He had me from theatre to back in my front door in 24hrs!!

Hope your journey goes just as well

Chris

Hi frodoald, I had my first appointment at L&D thurs 4th, so I'm just a bit behind you, following your journey and comments with interest, so if you feel someone is stalking you on this board, it'll probably be me, lol.

chris

Hi Chris - Please feel free to stalk me on the board :)

I have just come back from my 2nd set of appointments today.It is only just over 4 weeks since my 1st appointment and the nurse told me today that up until quite recently the 1st and 2nd appointments were running 4 months apart so we are quite lucky at the minute :). I start the milk diet tomorrow and have to go back 4 weeks today to see how I am getting on :eek:. Apparently they give you up to 9 weeks to lose 5% of your body weight.

The appointments today went well but to be honest the nurse's appointment was mostly a duplication of what I went through with the doctor on my initial appointments in July so I am not quite sure what the point of this one was. Although she did give me some further information on all the procedures and some leaflets and asked me what my expectations are. Then the dietician's appointment was to run through my eating patterns and to give me the info on the milk diet. Lastly the psychologist's appointment ran through my family and weight history and my thoughts/emotions I associate with eating/food.

Just need now to sort out my vitamins, bovril, sf jelly and of course LOTS of milk ready for tomorrow:D

If you stick to the milk diet, the 5% should be easy. The difficult bit is sticking to it! My sin was tomatoes. They helped keep me regular, you will find the milk diet binds you up like concrete!! Luckily they don't contain many calories.

Good luck
Chris

Back