• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st fill advice needed please...

Hi everyone
Im having my first fill next tuesday, and just a bit nervous.

Does it hurt? Nervous of needles but Dolan Park were so careful with bloods and in theatre I had got over it but now its next week nervous again.

How much do they normally put in? I got 1ml when it was done.

Thank you in advance xx

It is natural to be nervous because you don't know what to expect.

The needle is only small and it tends to be just a sharp scratch (less than what you would normally feel for blood test) it can be uncomfortable particularly when they push around to get the needle into the port and if it is in an awkward place then it can be slightly more painful.

A good tip is if they have you lie down, lift your chin up to your chest, it helps muscle wise to get the port towards the skin and easier to feel and find :)

Some people feel nothing apart from the needle going in, others have difficulties having their port found so it really does vary. But the thought of it is often far worse than the reality :)

As for how much they put in, I'm not with THG, it will vary and also depend on how the band feels. Some people seem to get around 3-5mls. My own with HW was 5mls, but we start with nothing in our bands.

I am with THG and had my first fill three weeks ago - 4ml into an empty 14ml band. I always have huge problems giving bloods, but had no issue with the fill. I lay on an adjustable chair and when it was flat the nurse had me lift my feet and my head. She poked around until she found the port, then I never felt the needle when she actually did the fill. She put a dressing on and then sat the chair up so I could have a drink of water.
I wasn't expecting it to be so easy!

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine x

Everyone is different. I am with THG and went up to 7ml in my 14ml band on my first fill. No issues whatsoever with my fills. Weird though as my body shrank, my port moved up my body by about 3 inches :)

Back