• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post op blues

scorpioGirl

Hello all,

Please forgive me a little whinge, it's 48 hours since my band operation and I'm feeling very tearful and sorry for myself. I'm suffering from horrible shoulder pain and intense pain around my port, all of which I understand is normal and expected but I'm not so great at dealing with it :( my natural response to feeling this way would have been to eat, so I'm feeling doubly sorry for myself! I suppose it's actually quite a positive thing that I can no longer use food in an unhealthy way as a crutch, but I find myself worrying about never being able to enjoy food again. I suppose what I'm looking for is a bit of reassurance that it will get better, the pain will go and I'll be able to enjoy food in a healthy way again!

Sorry for the whinge, no idea why I'm quite so tearful!

Well you've been through a major op with all the attendant stress, you're sore, you're tired and your normal coping strategy isn't available to you. I'd say some emotional turmoil is a pretty natural response hun (((hugs))).

It WILL get better. You WILL be able to enjoy food. Your relationship with food WILL change though, but I find that truly tasting my food by eating slowly is really enjoyable.
For now, keep drinking liquids, keep taking pain meds and know that you will feel better x

anaesthetic can make you emotional and tearful and can remain in the system for a good few days, throw into the mix the pain, discomfort and the whole change and how you feel is quite normal!

Hang in there it does get better.

For the wind pain, peppermint tea, of cordial. Deflatine of windeze (Boors own brand is quite good), move you arms gently in a windmill motion, gripe water, having your back rubbed can also help to ease it, hot water bottle but moving around as much as you can too :)

Your relationship with food will change, but so does the way you look. At it. It's not easy, the band can be damn hard work, while you work to get restriction if can be difficult dealing with hunger but not giving in to it. But it can be a wonderful long term tool only if you wok with it and the guidelines you're given :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a lot more mobile and the wind has thankfully gone, but I can feel my port constantly is this normal? Finding I am ravenously hungry too and still on liquid :(

Back