• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Two and a half weeks post-op...am I normal?

LowTofu

Hi all

I had my RNY on 15 September.

I'm doing pretty well with liquids and sloppy food (I think). At the moment my diet is pretty much:

Breakfast - half a tub of fage Greek yoghurt (85g approx.)

Lunch - 200ml vegetable soup

Snack - one mini babybel light

Dinner - one scrambled egg and a couple of tablespoons of mashed veggies

I can do 2 litres water/squash a day easily.

I see other people on here really struggling to get a couple of tablespoons of soup in and my mum and stepdad were the same. Why am I able to eat that much more? I don't feel like I'm eating too much, my portions are in line with the diet book we got given...I mean, actually, they say we should be having more proteiny-milky-liquidy snacks. I eat slowly and until I burp etc - afterwards I don't feel overly full or bloated.

My other question is...why have I stayed the same weight for a week? Again, I don't think I'm eating too much, so I don't think it's that. Is it just...I don't know...water retention...poop retention (lol) etc? Surely it's too early to start worrying about it. I'm eating way way less than I used to - the weight will surely come off.

I lost 3st before I had my surgery and afterwards the assistant surgeon had told me that doing that had made my op so much easier. He said it was an absolute breeze. This makes me wonder whether my tummy had a bit less bashing/bruising etc from the easy op and so it's healed a bit more quickly. Perhaps that's why I'm doing alright on the eating side of things?

Anyway, here's hoping you guys can tell me I'm normal.

Thanks

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
The simple answer is this is your journey and everyone and their journey will be different too.

It sounds like you are doing really well with what you're managing and as long as its line with your teams guidelines, there's no need to be concerned.

I have no idea why you've stayed the same weight but it could be your bodies way of telling you 'what the hell have you done to me'. Stalls are perfectly normal but if you think it may be due to constipation, don't leave it too long before you resolve it :oops:

Hannah2

Hi @Kaytofu it sounds like you are doing really well. I could manage 200 ml of soup as well so I think you are fine. Just keep following your guidelines and you will be fine.

For weight loss, I had a lot of stalls it might be you are not eating enough - you might need more protein? What about protein drinks or protein milk? Do you add milk powder or cheese to your soup to increase protein?

The important thing is not to panic about weight loss at this stage - your body is still recovering. I lost a lot less than others to begin with, I was slow and steady and now lost over 8 stone... so it will happen!