• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks post op.... Have i stretched my sleeve

excitedbutnervous

Hi all

In all honesty I think I am doing well however I seem to be able to drink and eat so much more than others or what I myself expected.

For example:

Breakfast: 300ml protein shake made with milk and milk powder. I managed to drink all of this is less than 30 mins

Lunch: 1 weetabix with milk. Managed to eat this in less than 20mins

100g of puree meat and onions managed to eat it within 20 mins.

The issue is I am not feeling full after these, but neither am I feeling hungry.

Any suggestions? Am I overeating at these meals or is this normal for only 2 weeks post sleeve.

We are all different..at 2 weeks I was only on liquids and managing very little..I must say even a year out I can only just eat a whole weetabix. Remember you are still healing, your stomach has been butchered don't push it. We have all got different restriction it would appear so just work with yours!

Welcome to my world :)

i had bypass more than 10 months ago. And from first weeks i felt like i could eat more than others. They brought me tomato soup at the hospital. And i ate it all. I didnt know if i was meant to.. And got really ashamed that i was able to eat that half a cup of soup!

And now? I still think i can eat way more than others. I always stop just because i think it must have been enough.. Not because i actually feel fullness or restriction. Or because my food run out on my plate ;) i do eat slowly and chew a lot (20 20 20 rule).

I dont dump aswell.

I dont want to scare. I remember everyone kept telling oh wait until you heal.. Wait until you back on solids the restriction will come. So it might be the case for you. You should really follow the diet sheet they gave you at the hospital to a letter. If there are no sample menus with portion sizes call your dietitian and ask for advice.

Thanks both.

I have texted the dietitian and I am waiting to hear back. Worried that this surgery is just a total waste for me :cry:

I could barely get an actimel down me 2 weeks post op nevermind the water amount given for me to take aswell! Like others have said everyone is different but its very early days for you down over do it but I guess your body will tell you if you do

Last edited:
You are still on slider foods. No way will you have done any damage. I felt exactly the same at that stage as I was eating more than others, but comparing to others is a mugs game really. Been there, still doing it.. It messes with your head. I can still eat quite a lot of soft slidey food but not hard protein so I try to make sure at least two of my meals are that, harder protein. My overall intake is more than some people who post, who struggle to get 500 cals a day, but I am happy with where I am having 1000 a day.

Once you are further on you will see that. :)

Thanks Weegie, good to know at least 1 person is in the same boat as me :)

Hi All

I have spoken to my nutritionist today and he has put my mind at ease. To sum it up for everyone who through the same worry as me, here is his comments.

1) Don't stress over qty of Protein. Add Milk powder to everything you can, but don't expect to get up to the 80g yet, 45-55 is acceptable.
2) Don't count calories. It is expected that we will eventually be on 1400 kcals, but at 6-8 weeks, so there is no hurry to get to that just yet.
3) Everyone's bodies are different when it comes to healing. Therefore if I am able to drink and eat more that someone else, it is almost certainly because my stomach has healed so much quicker than others. By week 6-8 we should all be eating and drinking roughly the same amount.

Suggested Meal Plan on the puree stage (which unfortunately is meant to be boring :()

Breakfast: Weetabix with fortified Milk OR Running Scrambled Egg
Snack: High Protein Yogurt such as Danio or Libertie
Lunch: High Protein Soup, fortified with Milk powder if possible
Snack: High Protein Yogurt
Dinner: Cottage Pie, Fish Pie etc (made as puree about 100g)
Dinner2: Cottage Pie, Fish Pie etc (made as puree about 100g)

Although the nutritionist said I should have a 2nd dinner about 2 hrs later, sometimes I may not want it, so not to push it. He also said that protein shakes and food packs should be limited as he doesn't trust that the content is what is written on the packet!

For my tea tonight, I can't face the thought of a whole meal blended so I have pureed in separate bowls, Broccoli, Carrots, Chicken and Cheese sauce. Looking forward to this. :)

Hi babe

This is your surgery twin here :)

You listen to me. You're doing brilliantly and you must be doing something right as your weight loss is fab.

I've been worried too that I've not been having enough compared to others but I've been told not to calorie count and focus on protein.

Don't compare yourself to others Hun because you're you and you're doing the best you can.

Keep up the good work xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks VioletAngel. The nutritionist said exactly the same thing. "Don't compare yourself to others". It's hard though as this is a unknown journey as we are all trying to follow the rules.

Fingers crossed we are both doing it properly and the success will come

Xx

Thanks VioletAngel. The nutritionist said exactly the same thing. "Don't compare yourself to others". It's hard though as this is a unknown journey as we are all trying to follow the rules. Fingers crossed we are both doing it properly and the success will come Xx

It will definitely come sweetheart - we need to remember that this is a marathon not a sprint!!

Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Do you remember I had this exact same issue? I was on the puree stage & was so surprised by how much I could eat & the genuine hunger I felt! I could have written your exact post myself! I was really worried that maybe the surgeon had made my sleeve too big or something! I also rang the dietician who said that purees are slider foods so don't fill you up & I would feel the restriction once I started eating more solid foods. And boy was she right! Now I am on soft/mashable foods & I am so full after a few mouthfuls. I feel the restriction right up in my stomach, I get burps or hiccups if I eat that little bit too much! it's crazy how full I feel after so little- it's frustrating on one hand cause I want to carry on cause the food is yummy, but it's also great to know my sleeve is working & I have that ability to stop now! You are doing fine!

Like many have said about slider foods are easier to digest. You will definitely feel the restriction once on normal food.
I am 6 months on from journey. Some days have more restriction than others but for example i.can eat a whole chicken breast, plus veg in one sitting. Some days, I am full with just half of this portion.
I can also tolerate pasta, rice, bread for example. Although of course only eat these occasionally.
Good luck.

Thank you all soo much for your replies. I know we shouldn't compare to each other but I also don't want to feel that I am different.

Can't wait for the now slider foods... So damn boring. Roll on Sept!

Back