• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks til band operation - Male.

frankyboysh7

Hi there.
There don't seem to be any posts on here from men - I'm about to change that.
I had my consultation last week and am booked in to have a gastric band fitted on 28th September.
I cant weight.
My weights been a problem for years, but lately its really knocked my confidence. More so after going for the consultation and finding out my actual weight. I was disgusted and embarrassed.
Now I look at myself differently and think that every body else does too.
My surgeon has put me on a diet before the op, but not a vlcd or a milk diet like I am reading so much about on here.
Just a 1200 calorie per day diet to shift some weight over the next couple of weeks.
It seems ok. Its a lot less than I would normally eat, but I didnt go to bed hungry. If any one has any tips or comments - male or female, I'd welcome any advice or support.
I'm currently 30 stone. Which, as I say, makes me feel sick.
Frank.

Hi Frank, I relate to how you felt before I had my band as I weighed in at 24 stone when I had mine fitted last August, I've now lost 10 stone and still losing, I'm on my iPad at the moment but will come back with some thoughts for you.

One thing I will say is use this time to focus the mind, but follow your providers guidelines to the letter. Don't compare yourself to others even if they've had a band fitted as some find restriction after 1 or 2 fills and others (like me lol) are still battling to find it 13 months on! But I love my band, it's not an answer but a tool for weightloss and if you are prepared to work with it, it can bring marvelous results :)

PS - there are male posters on here :) so you're not alone

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for the replies.
The surgeon did talk about a gastric sleeve. But he said as I'm only 34, he didnt think something that invasive was so wise. He said the weightloss for the first year would be better with a sleeve, but that there wasnt much evidence for after that. We decided that the band would be best for me.
I cant wait now, I just want it in me and for the journey to begin.

Hi there, thanks for the replies.
The surgeon did talk about a gastric sleeve. But he said as I'm only 34, he didnt think something that invasive was so wise. He said the weightloss for the first year would be better with a sleeve, but that there wasnt much evidence for after that. We decided that the band would be best for me.
I cant wait now, I just want it in me and for the journey to begin.

Hi, I'm only 33 and had a bypass. I was 28st 2lb and my surgeon said it was my only option really. I haven't looked back I'm 5 months post op and 7st 7lb down 5st 7lb since the op. the rest prior to prepare for the op. I wish you every look with whatever option you go with. I too was very self conscious after putting weight on in the last 2 years I feel like I'm getting back to my old self now and my boyfriend and all my friends say the old me is back!

Good luck Hun :) I know the feeling, I was shocked when I got on too. I burst into tears I felt so ashamed. I honestly didnt think I was so big.

I had mine fitted 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have lost 15 lbs

Good luck, I'm here if u fancy a chat or any questions x

Hiya great to see a guy sharing his story too. I was banded monday 07/10/13. Just wondered how your getting on?

I'd forgotten about this thread!

I'm doing great.
I don't have scales, so haven't weighed myself once since my initial consultation.
But from my clothes and my face - I'm guessing I've lost at least two stone, maybe more.
I'm still on liquids - until Saturday.
I'm finding it easy.
I've not been hungry once.
I'm taking vitamins, I'm drinking milk and squash and I'm having a can of soup at night.
I have no pain at all now.
I'm going to toilet regularly.
I'm in no pain at all.
My scars have pretty much all healed.
The worst thing is my breath.
It's awful.
Lol.
But I'm buzzing.
I did well in the pre op I think, and I've carried it on.
Thanks for asking to those that have.
And up your bum to those that haven't!!! Xxx

I'd forgotten about this thread!

I'm doing great.
I don't have scales, so haven't weighed myself once since my initial consultation.
But from my clothes and my face - I'm guessing I've lost at least two stone, maybe more.
I'm still on liquids - until Saturday.
I'm finding it easy.
I've not been hungry once.
I'm taking vitamins, I'm drinking milk and squash and I'm having a can of soup at night.
I have no pain at all now.
I'm going to toilet regularly.
I'm in no pain at all.
My scars have pretty much all healed.
The worst thing is my breath.
It's awful.
Lol.
But I'm buzzing.
I did well in the pre op I think, and I've carried it on.
Thanks for asking to those that have.
And up your bum to those that haven't!!! Xxx

Well done on not being a slave to the scales.....clothing is better to go off.
Bad breath will pass...mine was rank for weeks x

brilliant news glad your feeling so well From your pic you have a lovely face anyway so you must be feeling a million dollars now! Ive managed to escape my double chins which im happy about x

Back