• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Strange feeling after lunchtime meals

everpositive

I think this is odd but perhaps it isnt and others have had it or even still do.

6 weeks post bypass and am sort of between soft and near normalish food. Still small portions, still eating slow, still feeling full very soon. Now, my medical team have told me if you arent hungry, then dont eat, so I have followed this. Because of this, I generally just have my multi vit and zinc and drinks during the morning. My first proper intake of food is around 1pm. No matter how much or what I eat, I always have a terrible feeling of lethargy which lasts around 20 - 30 mins. It isnt the same as dumping but it quite dramatic while it lasts. Strangely, this doesnt tend to happen with my evening meal.

I have wondered if its a rapid change to my blood sugars because its the first thing I eat in the day.

Any ideas folks? :confused:
xx

I'm not post op Claire, but didn't want to read and run.

It does sound to me like it could be caused by a change in your blood sugars. I know you have said that you are not hungry in the morning, but have you tried having a bif of breakfast - even if only a couple of spoons of yoghurt or something. Otherwise you are going probably 15 - 16 hours from your evening meal till you next eat the following day.

I'm sure one of the experienced folk will be along soon hun.

I think this is odd but perhaps it isnt and others have had it or even still do.

6 weeks post bypass and am sort of between soft and near normalish food. Still small portions, still eating slow, still feeling full very soon. Now, my medical team have told me if you arent hungry, then dont eat, so I have followed this. Because of this, I generally just have my multi vit and zinc and drinks during the morning. My first proper intake of food is around 1pm. No matter how much or what I eat, I always have a terrible feeling of lethargy which lasts around 20 - 30 mins. It isnt the same as dumping but it quite dramatic while it lasts. Strangely, this doesnt tend to happen with my evening meal.

I have wondered if its a rapid change to my blood sugars because its the first thing I eat in the day.

Any ideas folks? :confused:
xx

Hi Claire

I get exactly the same thing, it feels like your batteries have been pulled out, and its worse after a big meal rather than a light meal, i've had this ever since my op, but it has decreased, and normally all symptoms are gone within 10 minutes and i'm back upto full speed again, and i really only get it now after a big dinner.
I've read that there are many forms of dumping syndrome, but i'm not sure if this is really one of them, it doesn't last long enough or have any of the dire symptoms of a full dump.

Im no expert either but as Sam said perhaps you should try a little breakfast as they say its the most important meal of the day

Im no expert either but as Sam said perhaps you should try a little breakfast as they say its the most important meal of the day
eat my

No for me it makes no difference, i eat my 3 meals a day and still get it, to be honest its not that bigger deal for me, just means i have to sit down for 10 minutes before i'm up and running again !

You may be right about the blood sugar as it sounds feasable !

I would agree on the blood sugar idea do you feel you could have a small somthing for breckfast...if you eat dinner at 8pm then your not eating till lunchtime the next day thats 17hrs between meals...that would explain the energy dip

take it you didnt experiance this when you were eating yr 3 meals a day. Try having a smoothie in the morning i have the innocent for kids ones. probably is yr blood sugars so may be worth trying to counter balance them and eat more often.

I get this sometimes too but as Richard said it decreases as you get further out. I also agree that you should have something in the morning even if it is a small piece of cheese or a bit of yogurt, even a small piece of fruit would be something. I definately think it has to do with blood sugar as I got the same feeling pre-op when I would forget to eat or over-indulged (I have diabetes). How you react to low & high blood sugar is changed after bypass and in my opinion alot of the dumping descriptions sound like what diabetics suffer.

Nic:p

I to get this ocassionally, usually when i have left having a meal too long, and i have to sit quitely for up to 30 mins afterwards. I would agree with everyone else have something small when you get up even if its a cracker with cream cheese on or a piece of fruit.

cheers everyone for your responses!!

I find it quite odd that the Docs actually tell you not to eat unless you really want/need to?!?! My Doc told me he was involved with a patient in the states years ago who was over 1300lbs - wow!! Told me he was pretty much hospitalised in a high supervision unit for 18 months after his bypass and lost almost all the excess weight, surviving only on his required vitamins and fluids!! Whilst I recognise our bodies use our excess stored calories/fat for energy, I still find it odd that they openly advise you thats its ok not to eat?!?!?

I think I had a hypo like diabetics get with extreme low blood sugar which ties in nicely with what I asked earlier. I didnt eat breakfast and tried without success to manage my tuna, sweetcorn, chickpea salad lunch, it just wasnt going down well at all. Tried to persevere and ended up making myself sick because I felt so uncomfy. Then went out to get my shopping and carried a load of heavy bags. This awful feeling of heavy legs and lighthead and general wobbles came over me. I was most relieved to make it to my car without passing out. Got back to work and had a cup of tea with half a sugar in. Seemed to rally after that. I'll get my head round it all sooner rather than later I hope?!?!? :confused::confused:

Not all docs give that advice. I was told 3 meals and 3 snacks a day whether you want it or not for the first month or two. Now its 3 meals a day with the occasional snack.

Hiya, i get that feeling aswell, it was terrrible, straight after my op, i cant stomach breakfast either and usually after any meal thereafter, i had to lie down in a dark room for about 45 mins, it happened wether i had a small bowl or cereal, a yogurt, anything basicaly.i eat out quite alot,in my husbands line of work, and it was horrific, i basically nibble on a piece of fish, terrified i was going to wipeout, or didnt eat for a couple of hours before i picked my daughter up from school, i was scared i wouldnt be able to drive ! i did ask my surgeon and he didnt have a clue !!!! but am nearly 4 months post bypass now and it has gotten a lot better, i usually wipeout for about 10 mins, then i`m fine, just hope it goes completley at some point !

Back