• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lessons Learned

Corey

longs to be average!
Was thinking this morning what lessons I have learned since having the surgery. Then started wondering what lessons you guys have learned and that it might be a good idea to share, so others (who are both pre and post op) might be able to pick up a few hints and tips from our experiences?

So, for me, it's portion sizes, and I am still learning.......... I have always had big meals, and always ate what was placed in front of me, OR what I served myself. It's been difficult putting smaller portions on my plate and to leave food on my plate when I am full. Still, I am slowly learning that lesson, the indigestion is a killer!!

My second lesson - is to chew, chew and chew before swallowing. Pre-op, I would chew perhaps once or twice and then gulp down my food - if I do it now, I vomit. This was an increibly quick lesson to learn, happened twice and I have no intention of it happening thrice!

I have learned not to have too much cheese cos it give me really foul smelling wind and BM.
There's a nice thought for a bank holiday monday...lol!!

Hi Corey

With you on the portion sizes and learning that its ok to leave something on your plate. You really dont have to polish it all off, lol

Great thread. Portion sizes, learning to recognise the signs of being full. Leaving a long enough time lapse before consuming something else either food or drink.

I'm working on that one at the moment - it would be a lot easier if I didn't have food in the cupboards!

Are you still on sloppies Corey, I have moved onto introducing real food again. Hard work, so tempted to just blend everything! :D

great thread for us pre oppers, thanks. Keep posting those lessons learnt for us!

I am supposed to still be on sloppies - but tend to have stuff with some kind of sauce or gravy.

Have to say it has been hard not firing up the BBQ this weekend and throwing a few half pounders on and some bangers!!!

Sauces or gravys are a must - dont know what I would of done without my parsley sauce! Cant be long before you start reintroducing food.

Mmm - the smell of bbq's yesterday. We live near a country park and there must of been hundreds of bbq's going off!

Cool - i had to wait a bit longer to get my appointment in Birmingham as its a very busy clinic. Are you nervous?

I allready feel like I have a restriction but I have no idea what size my band is or if I have anything in it!

The two most important things I have learned post-op:

1. My body was never my real source of my weight problem, it was my head. You could NEVER have convinced me pre-op that it was true but I know now that my head told me when to eat, what to eat and not to bother with exercise which is what made me fat! Now that I know where my weakness was all along, I have the strength to fight it and I am winning!!!

2. I can always find something healthy & tasty to eat no matter where I am. It is all about education, if you know what to look for you can find great food you can enjoy without much effort. I still love food and enjoy eating but it is a hobbie now and not my full time job!

Nic;););)

1, first exploring food post op what ever went on my plate got halved then halved again. If i managed thet i would do the same again. that how i learnt what my true portion size was.

2, Also when coming to the end of a meal if i put something in my mouth and i get a oh can i manage this. spit it out or it will come out biting.

3,Certain foods may have contributed to me being the size i was, as i never want to experiance obesity again i will steer clear of chocolate, fried foods and foods containing sugar (also the fear of dumping )

Back