• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2021 surgeries

BebeSmalls

Hello :) thought I'd start a thread for anyone having surgery this year as I'm waiting for my date and wondered who else is having wls around the same time!

Bit about me - 34, currently around 17 stone, got chronic pain syndrome.

My date should be summer (trying to finish my dissertation in the meantime!)
Was dead sure I was having sleeve but surgeon thinks bypass may be more suitable - trying to absorb as much information as possible.
Working full time at home has thrown my already-disordered eating into a bit of a mess, but I know so many of us are in the same boat.

BebeSmalls

Had my gastroscopy this week - no sedation just throat spray. Wasn't comfortable at all but was over in a few minutes. They found the pain killers I'd been taking have caused a bit of damage so stopping them 😕

BebeSmalls

Also the hiatus hernia that we were expecting, but he didn't seem very happy with it - and now really not sure I can have sleeve for fear of endless reflux.

Bling Babe

Also the hiatus hernia that we were expecting, but he didn't seem very happy with it - and now really not sure I can have sleeve for fear of endless reflux.
Well done for getting through it, I had to have a bypass because of a hiatus hernia which they found too. Good luck

BebeSmalls

Well done for getting through it, I had to have a bypass because of a hiatus hernia which they found too. Good luck
Thank you, the surgeon said I could still have the sleeve and he'd try and repair the hiatus hernia at the same time but of course no guarantee this would work.

BebeSmalls

Can I ask whether the bypass has caused you many problems in terms of malabsorbtion or vitamin deficiency? I appreciate that might be a sensitive question! That is my main concern. I am researching and reading every day, but still feel no closer to deciding between the two...

Bling Babe

Can I ask whether the bypass has caused you many problems in terms of malabsorbtion or vitamin deficiency? I appreciate that might be a sensitive question! That is my main concern. I am researching and reading every day, but still feel no closer to deciding between the two...
Hiya, I have not knowingly had any problems with malabsorption or vitamin deficiency, I take multi vitamins, Calcium-D and ferrous sulphate daily and have my B12 injection every 12 weeks.
there is so much to take into account and obviously this is only my experience, you will make a choice at some point, maybe you can chat to your team for some advice too. X

BebeSmalls

Hiya, I have not knowingly had any problems with malabsorption or vitamin deficiency, I take multi vitamins, Calcium-D and ferrous sulphate daily and have my B12 injection every 12 weeks.
there is so much to take into account and obviously this is only my experience, you will make a choice at some point, maybe you can chat to your team for some advice too. X
Thank you, I'm very glad you've not had problems! Good to know. I've had some chats with my surgeon and the front office, I was hoping the choice would be taken out of my hands almost!

Really appreciate your response, you seem to be keeping these boards alive at the mo!

Bling Babe

Thank you, I'm very glad you've not had problems! Good to know. I've had some chats with my surgeon and the front office, I was hoping the choice would be taken out of my hands almost!

Really appreciate your response, you seem to be keeping these boards alive at the mo!
I think a lot of people are shocked that the decision is ours although I originally wanted a sleeve due to reflux my surgeon advi against it so in a way the choice was made for me. The forum is really quiet these days, it’s sad really, i spent hours on here before my surgery and found the diaries really helpful but also got so much support and advice from other members, one good thing for you I guess is that you can still access the diaries (unless there in the bronze section, which mine is) but once you’ve posted 100 time you can also access the bronze section.
good luck, try to keep in touch x

BebeSmalls

I think a lot of people are shocked that the decision is ours although I originally wanted a sleeve due to reflux my surgeon advi against it so in a way the choice was made for me. The forum is really quiet these days, it’s sad really, i spent hours on here before my surgery and found the diaries really helpful but also got so much support and advice from other members, one good thing for you I guess is that you can still access the diaries (unless there in the bronze section, which mine is) but once you’ve posted 100 time you can also access the bronze section.
good luck, try to keep in touch x
A lot of the diaries do seem to be in the bronze section! I have agreed with my surgeon that a bypass is the way to go. Will keep you posted!

Bling Babe

A lot of the diaries do seem to be in the bronze section! I have agreed with my surgeon that a bypass is the way to go. Will keep you posted!
Yes please do, I’m sure you won’t regret it x

Bling Babe

FiTay

Hi I’m hoping to have a gastric sleeve done this year. First appointment with consultant next week as I’m going private I’m hoping it can be done over the summer... not sure of timescale from starting the process. I’ll post as I go. Good luck! 😁

BebeSmalls

Well I had my surgery this week, few days out now and had been feeling good right up until this evening when I've felt all tearful and lonely, even though a friend had come to sit with me and watch TV.
Can't wait to be able to walk the dog! Will be amazing to be comfortable enough to leave the house and wear clothes again soon! Weirdly really enjoying my puree diet though, blending a lot of fish, cheese, milk and veg.

Bling Babe

Well I had my surgery this week, few days out now and had been feeling good right up until this evening when I've felt all tearful and lonely, even though a friend had come to sit with me and watch TV.
Can't wait to be able to walk the dog! Will be amazing to be comfortable enough to leave the house and wear clothes again soon! Weirdly really enjoying my puree diet though, blending a lot of fish, cheese, milk and veg.
Congratulations and welcome to the losers bench, I believe fee teary is perfectly norma, you’ve made a huge change to your life and it can be very daunting, it won’t be long before your out walking the dog again and feeling on Top of the world. Keep in touch xx

Goodmack

Congratulations having your surgery.... I'm sure it's a very emotional time, you've invested in it immensely. I wish you well, you'll be out walking your dog before you know it !

BebeSmalls

Congratulations having your surgery.... I'm sure it's a very emotional time, you've invested in it immensely. I wish you well, you'll be out walking your dog before you know it !
Thank you! I took her out tonight for the first time, for about 20 minutes and it was a bit tricky (she's very strong!) and very tiring..But I made it!
2 weeks out tomorrow, still off work for a few more days, but doing well.

Goodmack

Hey just checking In to see how your doing ? Are you feeling stronger each day ? Hope it's all going well for you. X