• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

All Systems Go!!

DanR

Six Month Post Op
Howdy Guys & Girls,

Well it’s official, I’m having a bypass!

After getting my appointment I spoke to my GP surgery to ask if I actually had funding and after holding (for what seemed like an eternity) was told that it looked as though I had but the receptionist couldn’t decide if it was a tick or smudge in the relevant box on the form and she didn’t want to get my hopes up. A quick call to Mr. Kelly’s secretary soon cleared things up though!

Saw Mr. Kelly back on September 23rd, I have to say he is one of the nicest consultants I have ever met! We spent 40ish minutes talking about my history and the options, he asked me to explain the bypass procedure and then he did an explanation (complete with diagrams) and said that he thought I was a suitable candidate for the bypass and then offered me the op – I have to say I was expecting him to say no so was a little shocked! He also impressed upon me the importance of the pre-op diet (hey, for the sake of two weeks I think/hope I can put up with it!).

I had my pre-op appointment on the 29th of last month, had a chat with the dietician, nurse and anesthetist, and had blood tests, swabs and an ECG done. Talking to my Mum in the canteen between appointments I realised that I hadn’t told her I was going for the bypass, she thought that I was having the band – how bad did I feel! I think she’s coming around to the idea though she does keep asking if I’m sure this is the right choice – I guess right now I’m 95% positive it is.

Then found out that all of the operating lists were full until the New Year so they were unable to give me a date there and then and would phone me in due course – had the phone call last week offering me a date for the op on December 8th and received the letter from the hospital today confirming my ‘reservation’ (sounds like I’m going on holiday!).

I really can’t believe how quickly it’s all happened and I have to say I feel rather guilty for all you guys who are waiting or have had a real fight on your hands to get WLS. I have to say I expected a real fight to get this, the nurse and anesthetist even seemed a little surprised that Portsmouth PCT were funding my op (mind you so was I).

So off to TGI Friday’s tomorrow night for a birthday meal and mum’s cooking ‘Christmas’ dinner on Sunday (complete with xmas pudding!) before I start the pre-op diet the following week – I have to say I’m glad I’m not on the milk diet but am still a little worried how I’m going to manage on so little food (compared to my ‘normal’ portions).

My main worry now is how I’m going to cope without what has been my main coping mechanism for the last 20-odd years, I guess I’ll have to find something else to replace food as comfort/reward which is a little worrying as I have expensive tastes J.

I have to say that you have all been such an inspiration and it’s nice to know that I’m not going through this alone. I’m looking forward to becoming a part of this community and later on sharing what I find out on my journey with others in the position that I’m in now.

Anyhoo I’ve just realised that I have typed quite a bit so if you’re still with me then thanks and in the meantime here’s to the start of the rest of my life!

Take it easy

Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to the site.

Well done for getting such an early date, as far as the pre-op goes you will do fine. The first couple of days are tricky but it does get better. At least you aren't on the milk diet, I couldn't have handled that and anyone who does it has my admiration.

Your mum sounds like a real diamond, she is obviously concerned about the op and wants to give you a real "send-off".

Have a good night out at TGIFs, but it is not the end of your eating life you will be able to have nice things in the future, just not quite as much.

Good luck and keep us informed.

John

i thought i would struggle as im on the food pre op diet were i can eat food, i find it easier to put my food on a side plate so it looks like there is more there xx

Great news for you that your pct have been so swift along with what sounds like a fab consultant....

Good luck on the 8th Dec with the op, you'll glide through the pre op, and you know why? Because as nice as food is, it's not as good as the thought that losing all the excess weight will feel. Doing what was previously seemingly unachievable will be brilliant xx

ps, love the bike, i'd love to have a go on one eventually when i have a bum that will fit in the seat of one :)

Good luck for the op. I as well as everyone on here has probably used food as a coping mechanism but now is the time to change. I am now into my fifth week post op and I can't believe how easy it is not to think about food all the time. I don't know if it is because I can't have it just now that I seem to be managing. I don't care because it is working. I don't even have a craving for chocolate!!

Anyway just wanted to wish you all the best for the future. Keep us updated on your progress and if you have any questions or worries then just post here because we're all in the same boat. Everyone is really friendly and supportive and most importantly they understand.

brilliant news im just a week or so behind you, iv got a few nights out before i start the pre op a week on monday but to be honest i cant wait to get on it as know then im on the road to a new me x good luck dan and enjoy tgi's and your mums christmas dinner x

Thanks for your replies guys :).

TGI's was fantastic but no match for my Mum's Christmas dinner, I'm fortunate to have such supportive folks.

I know this isn't the end of my eating career but I did have a major downer on Sunday knowing I'll never eat a piled high roast dinner again, then again that's kinda what got me into this position in the first place so I guess that's not a bad thing!

So here I am on day five of my pre-op diet and so far I've lost nearly seven kilos, definitely compensation for lack of food but I could eat my body weight in sugar right now - still at least I'm not on the milk diet (and I love milk!). It is quite strange though sitting here on a Friday night without a couple of bottles of homebrew (I've got a pint of sugar-free Ribena instead :sigh:) but it'll be worth it in the end, hey ho. On the up side I only have another four days in the office this year - woohoo four week Christmas break!

Anyhoo, hope you're all keeping well.

Have a good weekend

Dan

Back