• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2021 surgeries

BebeSmalls

I am, thank you. I am having to really focus on getting enough fluid in but have started having some soft foods now which is a welcome change to puree! Walking lots, feeling tired but happy.

Goodmack

That's amazing , your doing so well , I imagine it's baby steps initially ? I heard fluid was tough to get in, people say that ice cubes can help ( apparently )!?
So glad it's going well for you, but your shedding the eight now , so happy for you xxx

Bling Babe

I am, thank you. I am having to really focus on getting enough fluid in but have started having some soft foods now which is a welcome change to puree! Walking lots, feeling tired but happy.
So pleased to hear you are getting on well, I remember fluids being a challenge but you will get there x

sab110

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum I am waiting for my surgery for a very long time now. I had psychologist appointment last month she said she is going to back me for surgery. She also said now my case will be discussed under MDT but it’s been a month now I haven’t heard anything can someone please advice how long do I have to wait. My reddy’s cordinater said I will be going to waiting list same day of MDT discussion but no news.
I’m 21 stone and have multiple Health conditions.

Kev_h

Hi @sab110 and welcome!

Now, I can only comment on my experience. Every hospital and health authority are different and obviously, we have a few other things going off at present but... Between being told I was to be discussed at the next MDT meeting and actually getting a letter confirming, it took about 6-8 weeks. For me personally at Derby hospital, it was about a year after that letter that I actually went in for my Gastric sleeve. Again, Every hospital is different and I have heard of operations being performed much faster than that. You just never know with these things.

It is a long journey from start to finish but it is still by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. Life is totally different for me now so stick at it. You may well hear this a lot on this forum, and others, but take the time to research as much as you can about the procedure. It will help in the long run. Time will fly by and you'll soon get that date through for your operation.

Which procedure are you looking at having? I left that decision up to my surgeon after he'd got in there and had a good look around but I am so happy with my gastric sleeve. Still a little way to go but I've lost about 9 stone from my heaviest weight and whilst it isn't all plain sailing or the easy option that some people think it is. If you follow the rules you are given, you will lose a substantial amount of weight. Again personally, I had type 2 diabetes. That is now in remission and I was taken off all medication for it on the day of my surgery. I had sleep apnoea and I found out recently that is now cured. I was out of breath walking 5 minutes to the local shop. I can now go on 12 mile hikes. It really is life changing. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask away. It is very quiet on here at present due to multiple reasons but there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and people are around to help out if they can.

Take care and good luck.

Kev

sab110

Hi @sab110 and welcome!

Now, I can only comment on my experience. Every hospital and health authority are different and obviously, we have a few other things going off at present but... Between being told I was to be discussed at the next MDT meeting and actually getting a letter confirming, it took about 6-8 weeks. For me personally at Derby hospital, it was about a year after that letter that I actually went in for my Gastric sleeve. Again, Every hospital is different and I have heard of operations being performed much faster than that. You just never know with these things.

It is a long journey from start to finish but it is still by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. Life is totally different for me now so stick at it. You may well hear this a lot on this forum, and others, but take the time to research as much as you can about the procedure. It will help in the long run. Time will fly by and you'll soon get that date through for your operation.

Which procedure are you looking at having? I left that decision up to my surgeon after he'd got in there and had a good look around but I am so happy with my gastric sleeve. Still a little way to go but I've lost about 9 stone from my heaviest weight and whilst it isn't all plain sailing or the easy option that some people think it is. If you follow the rules you are given, you will lose a substantial amount of weight. Again personally, I had type 2 diabetes. That is now in remission and I was taken off all medication for it on the day of my surgery. I had sleep apnoea and I found out recently that is now cured. I was out of breath walking 5 minutes to the local shop. I can now go on 12 mile hikes. It really is life changing. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you. If you have any questions, then feel free to ask away. It is very quiet on here at present due to multiple reasons but there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and people are around to help out if they can.

Take care and good luck.

Kev
Hi Kev
Thank you very much for such kind gesture. And replying me. I personally wants gastric sleeve. I am pre diabetic and I have sleep apnea too. I understand things are quite uncertain at this moment but it is always nice to know other people’s experience as it gives us encouragement. I had quit a different journey so far as I am under bariatric Team since 2017 then they forward my case to surgeon in 2020 they said I need to go for psychiatric appointment for that I had to wait 1 year I was given her appointment in July 2020 and appointment was on June 2021. Finally now only MDT discussion and letter is what I am waiting for.
I am under at George’s hospital London
I am really hoping someone from same hospital can share their experience

Bling Babe

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum I am waiting for my surgery for a very long time now. I had psychologist appointment last month she said she is going to back me for surgery. She also said now my case will be discussed under MDT but it’s been a month now I haven’t heard anything can someone please advice how long do I have to wait. My reddy’s cordinater said I will be going to waiting list same day of MDT discussion but no news.
I’m 21 stone and have multiple Health conditions.
Hiya, I can only echo what @Kev_h has said, I was 21 months from my first appointment to surgery but it’s so so worth it and I cannot stress enough the importance and benefits f research research research during your wait.
good luck
keep in touch x

sab110

hi
So I have an update I have been given pre op assessment appointment. Which I missed as I was only given 1 day and my letter receive after my appointment I called and rebook for Monday letter says member of bariatric team will see me. Is that mean I am going to get surgery date soon should I expect that soon? But what about MDT discussion again? Last year MDT discus my case and says I have complete all other assessment and only now they want me to see psychologist which happen last month and said yes so Is it possible that they are calling me for preop assessment rather then MDT discussion again ?
I am sorry I have so many questions and have no one i can ask so this place is full of amazing people I hope someone of you can give me any answer this is very big very important journey of life I am excited and nervous at the Same time .
Sorry for any typo

Kev_h

Hi again @sab110

The simple answer unfortunately is, I don't know. Again, every hospital is different and so...

This meeting could just be to have a chat and find out any problems that may arise. To discuss the operation, the Liver Shrinking Diet, the eating plan after surgery, and possibly to sign on the dotted line that you are happy to proceed with the operation. Or, it could be that you will have the full pre op which is blood tests, ECG, scans etc. It could be all of the above or something completely different! On the upside, you don't have too long to wait to find out what this meeting is for and you'll be able to ask any questions you may have.

Take care and be sure to update us all after your meeting.

Good luck.

Sc1994

Hi I’m hoping to have a gastric sleeve done this year. First appointment with consultant next week as I’m going private I’m hoping it can be done over the summer... not sure of timescale from starting the process. I’ll post as I go. Good luck! 😁
Please update as you go- currently debating going private over Homerton just to improve pace. Really want it done, as I was meant to be having a reflux surgery then they decided I should have WL first/instead so in a lot of discomfort in the meantime.