• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Big Blood Pressure Cuffs? Help please!!

oliviafrances

Hello,
I'm on the waiting list for a bypass but my local doctors surgery are having a very hard time finding a blood pressure cuff to fit my arm (52cm) as most cuffs go up to 42cm. Has anyone else had this problem? Myself and my local doctors are unsure what to do because they cannot get one to fit. If anyone can help with this, please please comment with advice. Thank you!

P.S I've asked about a wrist blood pressure monitor, they won't allow it.

Did some Google-fu and found this:

https://www.medisave.co.uk/obese-size-replacement-cuff-for-use-with-big-ben.html

Would they be able to use that? They should be able to swap the cuffs around, I would think. I'm in the same boat as you. I have massive upper arms and the largest cuffs they have don't fit and then I get stressed because they faff about and then my BP goes sky high because I have awful white coat syndrome to boot. Thankfully my GP is happy to accept wrist cuff readings for me.

I think you GP needs to stop faffing around and order a larger cuff for you to be honest, BP can also be taken on the leg if their cuff will fit yours but a new cuff is not going to use up much at all of their budget xxx

Thanks everyone for your replies, they have said the guidelines don't allow for wrist blood pressure readings (even though my bariatric nurse thinks they're fine!). I emailed the website selling the big ben cuff and it will only work with the electronic counter part to that cuff which is £70+. I just can't believe my doctor said to cancel my next appointments because there's no point, there's nothing they can do for me. I'm not being funny but their current cuff goes to 43cm, and my arm is 52cm, it's not like they're the size of elephant legs!! Thanks for the support guys, it's just come at a bad time today, I had to give up a good job offer because I won't fit in their uniform and so ultimately feeling very crap today. At least this isn't forever :(

Aw hun that’s sad but as you say it isn’t forever, try calling GP practice manager and suggesting they order one xx

We all have bad days but I agree with bling get hold of the practice manager.
Plus it’s the beginning of the financial year so don’t see a reason why they can’t buy one!

I'm so sorry for having to pass up the job. :( That really is rotten, but you're right, this isn't forever.

I agree with Bling. They can get a larger cuff than that, they're just being obtuse about it all.

Thanks guys, my bariatric nurse is going to ring my GP practice as she thinks it's absurd that they've left it down to me. What did you guys do for your blood pressure? Also if you've used a wrist monitor, could you recommend one?xx

I've had my wrist cuff for nigh on ever and got it in the US so I'm afraid I can't really make a suggestion myself. Having said that, the British and Irish Hypertension Society do test and validate monitors for accuracy. Here's a link to the section of their website that gives a list of them. Hopefully that might help you make a choice. :)

https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/

Thanks guys, my bariatric nurse is going to ring my GP practice as she thinks it's absurd that they've left it down to me. What did you guys do for your blood pressure? Also if you've used a wrist monitor, could you recommend one?xx
I hope you get this sorted Olivia. The GP should accommodate all patients and I bet you are not their only patient who requires a larger cuff. Xxx

@oliviafrances hope you got sorted hun if not I brought this one from eBay it says up to 46cm but honestly the cuff is way bigger https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/132013131469 if your through this way your welcome to come try it how you getting on ?
Bless you that's so sweet of you to offer, thankfully I managed to find one, I can't believe how rude/unaccommodating my doctors practice have been, there's literally been one nurse willing to help, the rest have looked me up and down and pretty much told me to leave. Yet when I was in hospital last week for a kidney infection I was expecting there to be just as much as a palava, but no they just either used a thigh cuff or used the smaller cuff lower down my arm, no issue whatsoever. I feel like I'm always saying this, but I'm so so so ready for this part of my life to be done. I'm ready to change, I need to change, and this surgery can't come soon enough. Thanks for all of your support guys x

Bless you that's so sweet of you to offer, thankfully I managed to find one, I can't believe how rude/unaccommodating my doctors practice have been, there's literally been one nurse willing to help, the rest have looked me up and down and pretty much told me to leave. Yet when I was in hospital last week for a kidney infection I was expecting there to be just as much as a palava, but no they just either used a thigh cuff or used the smaller cuff lower down my arm, no issue whatsoever. I feel like I'm always saying this, but I'm so so so ready for this part of my life to be done. I'm ready to change, I need to change, and this surgery can't come soon enough. Thanks for all of your support guys x
Hope your feeling much better now x x

Sorry you're having a naff time at the minute. They always try using the electronic BP machine but they rarely work on me, I try telling them but they never listen and yes quite often they have to go on a search for a bigger cuff, the large adult normally fits or have had Drs use thigh cuffs before now, ridiculous they took so long to sort it for you. You would think the hospital you're having op done at would have bigger cuffs knowing the kind of operations people have there. Hope you're all sorted now

Back