• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2ND Operation?

jasbtn

Hi everyone. Just been told today to expect my full bypass operation in May.I had a sleeve op last November and have lost 6 stone to date, but the surgeon still feels that i need to have a full by-pass. Mixed emotions at the moment,must admit i dont particurly want to go through it all again but they know best.:confused:

Big an Bouncy

Jase.its the final step,look how well you have done.I dont know how much more you have to lose but your doc seems to think its the right thing to do.You seem young to me,dont waste this opportunity and regret it later.Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.Maz x

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
hey if your happy as you are then stay as you are most sleeve patients are more than happy to do just that, do not be rail roaded into something you dont want to do x

newcy

I can understand why you'd be apprehensive about a second surgery but your surgeon wouldn't recommend it unless he felt it was really necessary. Congrats on 6 stone so far - that's tremendous!

Mixman

If you feel you can carry on the great work, then stick to it. Only if you doubt you can keep up the work then think about the 'next step'.

It was always pointed out to me that 'normally' a sleeve is part of the first step of 2. The 2nd being the bypass.

Now you could continue to do well and let his words give you the impetus to shove his words down his throat. In a good way! :)

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
Good advice Mickie, it wont let me Rep you tho :( x

Kerry Jo

I think surgeon must have his reasons for the Bypass and your 6 stone lighter (well done by the way) so this time it should be easier for you to recover and your surgeon doing the op. I would grab it with both hands i really would. I went a support meeting last wed and they said these op's have been slashed and there not doing that many. Go for it love xxx

JOWOOD4

If you are doing well - and 6 stone off is doing REALLY well - then I would ask for them to postpone the next step for a little while. You will then have a chance to show how you can make the sleeve work for you.
You must be very proud - keep up the good work
Jo XX

Deets

can you not ask the surgeon to give it another 6/12 months? Youve already lost 6 stones which is fab, so you could potentially loose more! Why put yourself through another op if the one you have is working for you?!

Good luck with the decision :) x

dottychic

Well done Jas on how well you have done already, maybe the surgeon thinks you can do even better with the full bypass. If you really done want it thought discuss your feelings with him and see what he suggests :D XX

thinnerangela

Well done on losing the 6 stone.

Are you having a bypass or the second stage of a duodenal switch?

Was it not explained to you that the sleeve was the first stage? It is usually done to lower the weight enough for the second stage of the op.

Some do lose loads with just the sleeve - but many with a high BMI do go onto have the other part of the op.

I'm sure it will all be fine - I have no regrets - and would have had the second part of the op if I had had to

xxx

I had a one stage Duodenal switch - but didn't know whether I would till I woke up - it was planned but until they did the op I wouldn't know. This was because I was at the upper limit for BMI for a one stage op.

I know of someone on another forum who had the 2 stage op and has lost over 300lb.

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
Hi, Well done on your weightloss! I can understand where your coming from in not wanting a second op but i feel you have to respect Mr El Hasani's decision in doing this, i'm sure he wouldnt be doing this op unless he truly believes it's the best thing for you xxx

dawny

is there a reason as to why the surgeon wants to do the 2nd op, i honestly think, that if he has suggested it, then he must have good reason, they dont do surgeries if they dont think theyre necessary. and as your so much lighter now, you would probably recover quicker, and also half the work has already been done. but its a lot to consider isnt it. good luck with whatever you decide to do huni, big hugs xxx

rambo

leicester tigers
well as a sleever myself i to would be a bit apprehensive about the 2nd opp to covert to a full bypass but if u think its rite for u and think u cannot shift the other weight without the second part of the opp ,,,, but u have done really well so far in loosing your 6 st, I've now lost 9,stone with my sleeve since sept 2010 and will give it at least another 12 months to see how it go's for me i hope the sleeve is more than adequate to to the job for me personally,
all the best which ever way u choose to go
regards Steve

jasbtn

Thanks everyone, for your great advice and support much appreciated.It was explained to me when i had my sleeve op that i will need a second op and a by-pass,so really i should not of been to shocked.Im going to go with the flow for now and not dismiss anything after all so far this has been a life changing experience for me and i feel teriffic for it so if i could feel even better with a bypass then all the good.For now i shall just keep my head down and hopefully keep losing.I shall keep you all updated.Thanks again.