• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Been to surgeon today and Im now having a sleeve !

I had a sleeve as a "stand alone" op 2 yrs ago. I lost 50lbs in 6 months but then regained most of it, so 2 months ago I went on to have the second part called the "switch". Together they make the op called the "Duodenal Switch". Originally the sleeve was usually done to get super large people down to a safer weight for the second part, but I chose it because I couldn't have the bypass because I had gastric ulcers. Coming back recently to the forums I have been amazed to see how popular the sleeve has become in just 2 years! I was the only person I knew who had had just that back in those days!

It's a good op - I thought it was a better choice than a band as I wanted something I didn't have to think about and couldn't be bothered with all the faffing of fills and unfills etc. I also knew that if I didn't succeed with it, I could always go onto the part 2, which I have.

The times for the op which people are quoting are just amazing me! My surgeon is known to be very slow and cautious when he's operating, and I think I was at least 3hrs on the table, but if you look at the diagram Kelly posted, you can see that there's far more work involved than say with a band! The second part of the op I was on the table for 10hrs, but that's another story!

Good luck Kelly - hope it all goes well for you!

Hi Kelly

Sorry havent replied to you before now but working shifts means i get on when i can.

I live in Retford and i had my op done at the Thornbury Hospital in Sheffield,my consultant was Mr Ackroyd at Hallamshire Hospital,

I know Mansfield very well as i am originally from Sutton-in-Ashfield but i lived a short time in Mansfield.

Where are you having your operation? sorry you may have said previously but i have missed it.

Good luck with the sleeve, I havent heard much about it, nor have I looked into it tbh.
If you dont mind me asking why was the sleeve chosen ? Only asking to see if they have a reason to offer it to me too, im going to the spire in Leeds.

Hi Kelly

Sorry havent replied to you before now but working shifts means i get on when i can.

I live in Retford and i had my op done at the Thornbury Hospital in Sheffield,my consultant was Mr Ackroyd at Hallamshire Hospital,

I know Mansfield very well as i am originally from Sutton-in-Ashfield but i lived a short time in Mansfield.

Where are you having your operation? sorry you may have said previously but i have missed it.

Im having it done at leeds nuffield ! I would have prefered sheffield but hey ho!

Good luck with the sleeve, I havent heard much about it, nor have I looked into it tbh.
If you dont mind me asking why was the sleeve chosen ? Only asking to see if they have a reason to offer it to me too, im going to the spire in Leeds.

Well my surgeon mr Hayden works at the spire in leeds too ! so you might get him !

I was down for a bypass but when I went for my consultation! I was asking how many he had done and he had'nt had much experience with keyhole bypass but had had alot of experience with open bypass's

when I asked how many had died he said he had a lady die a couple of months ago! and to be honest he did'nt sound like he wanted me to have the bypass and I knew I did'nt want the band so this was the next best option.

he said he had done loads of these using keyhole and no deaths ! so that kind of made up my mind !

he said the results are the same as the bypass over two years ! so made sense really !

ah ok im under Mr Pollard at the Spire but thats nto to say I wont get anyone else by the sound of it lol

Ive not thought about the sleeve for myself, I just know I dont want the band. So maybe thats another option, Im going to have a look into it a bit more before my appointment.

Thanks for your post I have not had my first appointment yet although I do have funding in place.
I want a bypass but had never heard of the sleeve and am very interested as the risk with a bypass is scaring me a little.
I now have another question to add to my list, thanks..x :thankyou:

I'm not Kelly but I had a sleeve. The reason my surgeon thought it was the best procedure for me is that I was an emotional eater with a tendency to binge. people with that pattern of eating tend to have problems with the band, because binging or eating past the "full" point causes all sorts of complications, some of which are severe enough to eventually need removal of the band. Because my case was complicated due to liver disease the bypass was in his opinion too extreme. I am so very happy to have an excellent surgeon who knew that best procedure for me. 4 moths post op I have lost over half of what I need to make goal, and I feel fabulous and love my sleeve. Best of luck with yours!!

A good friend of mine had the sleeve in February, so far she has lost just over 5 stone.

Well my surgeon mr Hayden works at the spire in leeds too ! so you might get him !

I was down for a bypass but when I went for my consultation! I was asking how many he had done and he had'nt had much experience with keyhole bypass but had had alot of experience with open bypass's

when I asked how many had died he said he had a lady die a couple of months ago! and to be honest he did'nt sound like he wanted me to have the bypass and I knew I did'nt want the band so this was the next best option.

he said he had done loads of these using keyhole and no deaths ! so that kind of made up my mind !

he said the results are the same as the bypass over two years ! so made sense really !

Hi Kelly

Did they say or show you any long term statistics, 2 years is the expected weight loss period for either a sleeve or bypass, i'd be interested to know what happens after this, how successful people are at maintaining and just how many actually do have the full switch longer term as a DS is a lot more serious to live with than a band or bypass !

Back