• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 & 4 Tiers at Luton Dunstable

k8w

Hi

I was referred to Luton Dunstable Hospital for my weight.
I had a BMI of 44 and have seen several people on 3 different occasions.
1st was having bloods done and talking with a dietitian who gave me a low calorie plan to follow for 6 weeks and discuss which procedure I would like.
2nd was to weigh and show a loss from 6 week diet (which I did) and to meet and discuss if I met the criteria for surgery which I passed and went on to see another doctor who said I should do the milk diet for 3 weeks to show I was able to stick to it. They are testing me for when I would have to do it for pre surgery.
I go back next week where I have to show a 5% loss (which I know I will have done as reached it). they warned me not to loose more than 1 and a half stone as I would drop below required BMI of 40 and therefore would not operate.
I have no idea what the next stage is from this. Has anyone got an idea ??
is it meet the surgeon or is there another process to go through 1st?

many thanks

k8

Bling Babe

Hi

1st was having bloods done and talking with a dietitian who gave me a low calorie plan to follow for 6 weeks and discuss which procedure I would like.
2nd was to weigh and show a loss from 6 week diet (which I did) and to meet and discuss if I met the criteria for surgery which I passed and went on to see another doctor who said I should do the milk diet for 3 weeks to show I was able to stick to it. They are testing me for when I would have to do it for pre surgery.
I go back next week where I have to show a 5% loss (which I know I will have done as reached it). they warned me not to loose more than 1 and a half stone as I would drop below required BMI of 40 and therefore would not operate.

many thanks

k8
Hiya welcome, I had my bypass at L and D 11 weeks ago! I was also in danger of going below the eligible BMI so I spent a lot of weeks yo yoing, I was assessed for a year as my BMI was 37, I think if it’s 40 the assessment is 6 months, so at the end of your assessment period you see a general physician he checks your general health and asks if you definitely want surgery, the next appointment is an MDT with the dietician, psychologist and barriatric nurse, this is a group meeting with others going for surgery but you can take someone with you it’s quite informative, the next one is the surgeon, then the pre-op, you may have other dietician appointments in between too, mine surgery was 22 month from first appointment to surgery if your assessment is 6 months it will be less. Time will fly by and it’s good to use that time to research as much as you can so your absolutely prepared for what changes you must make post surgery. Read as much as you can there are lots of great threads on here your welcome to browse mine, and we will all support you with advice and tips.
Good luck and please keep in touch, do you know what surgery your having ? X

Maria61

Hi

many thanks

k8
Hello and welcome. Bling above and I met on this forum and both had surgery at Luton. It is a slow process before surgery but so worth it in the end. Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

Irene44

Hi and welcome xx

Ian2Big

Welcome, another L&D person here. Good luck.