• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve 3 peaks challenge

goingtobehappy

Hi all well after having lost 3 stone and feeling great I noticed that my work was wanting to put a team together for the 3 Peaks Challenge and fund raising for help the heroes.

I enjoy walking, do plenty I have 2 dogs and decided that this would be a good to help me get focussed on improving my fitness and exercise.

I still have to find out if I've been accepted on the team but I'm looking for advice from other sleevers about exercise and diet, my diet at the moment is very much high protein and low fat and I try to eat just 3 meals a day with occassional days with rare snacks. As the exercise increases I will obviously need more calories to burn, and would like advice on whether still 3 meals but higher calorific values or increasing the amount of meals.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You might start having to take protein supplements if you continue to up the exercise. Which I hope you do. You don't have to up the calories you're taking on. If you take on more calories, you'll not burn of as much stored on your body. But eat little and often so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

I hope you get accepted as having a challenge to focus on, there's no better incentive.

Thanks Mixxie, your knowledge on this is greatly appreciated, are we just talking high protein foods, shakes, bars etc or do they actually make a protein tablet that you can take?

I've told them on my request about my surgery and how much I would expect this to help with both my fitness and weightloss.

They don't do tablets, only shakes, but there are foods that are more protein rich than others, but you need to balance your diet. People tend to mentally accept that they can eat more if they are exercising more, which is true to an extent, but eat too many calories and your body won't have to burn the ones stored.

I went through a stage of this myself. I was thinking, it's OK, I exercise so I can eat crisps etc and be fine. WRONG! I, and many others, have an eating disorder as such, we become addicted to foods and the feelings they give us. But I can't kid myself any more. I've put on 18lbs since January as I have not been training as hard and eating high calorie snacks. So I've had to set myself a goal. On the 16th April I'm entering into a 30 mile mountain bike race. Now I've just done a 57 mile bike race and came 27th out of 47 on my very first attempt. I just wanted to finish that one. But this one, I don't just want to finish, I want to do as best I can. So it's given me the focus that I needed to kick the junk and up my training again.

We all need to set goals, but we also all need to stop making excuses as to what we can eat or what we should be eating :)

Thanks for your honesty and 27th in a 57 mile race is brilliant, I look forward to hearing how you got on with the April race.

Could you tell the difference with your clothes or are you a regular weigher and if so how often? I'm still at the every other day stage and loving just seeing the 1/4lbs go down. I bet the 18lbs will come off alot quicker than it went on.

Well done Andrea, inspirational from the beginning, so glad you are enjoying your wls and long may it continue.

Love and hugs xxx

... which is exactly what we are doing Andrea... you did brilliantly travelling for such a large operation and have embraced it from the start.

Keep us posted Angel.

Love and hugs always xxx

Thanks for your honesty and 27th in a 57 mile race is brilliant, I look forward to hearing how you got on with the April race.

Could you tell the difference with your clothes or are you a regular weigher and if so how often? I'm still at the every other day stage and loving just seeing the 1/4lbs go down. I bet the 18lbs will come off alot quicker than it went on.

In all fairness, no, my clothes are feeling the same. And I'll correct myself, it's about 22lb. On Sunday I weighed 16st 8lb. At my lowest I was 15 stone. Yes, before winter and the short days and not as much time to train etc.

Yes, my training overall will be increasing my muscles and weight but I'm sick of using that excuse to try and kid myself it's 'OK' for me to eat crisps and mini cheddars etc. Yeah, the occasional bag is fine, but I was sitting down and eating 4 or 5 bags instead of a meal!

So, as said before, time for back on track and try this year to get that £100 off my dad which he bet me!

Hi mixxy,

Hope u don't mind me asking u this as u have a bit of knowledge about protein shakes etc,
Can u get protein in the form of tablets and not just shakes?
I have tryed bars but they are foul, have I any other ideas?
Cheers x

Mixxy, you also have a sleeve and I want to do what you've done. I want to turn fitness into a part of my life not just something that i dip into every now and again.

What is the bet with your dad?

Hi mixxy,

Hope u don't mind me asking u this as u have a bit of knowledge about protein shakes etc,
Can u get protein in the form of tablets and not just shakes?
I have tryed bars but they are foul, have I any other ideas?
Cheers x

Only the knowledge I have gained through taking them and experimenting.

You can get tablets, more like 'sweets' but they work out quite expensive. Not actually tablets as such.

What bars have you tried? Sports Direct do some wonderful ones.

But I'm no expert either I'm just giving some ideas :)

Only the knowledge I have gained through taking them and experimenting.

You can get tablets, more like 'sweets' but they work out quite expensive. Not actually tablets as such.

What bars have you tried? Sports Direct do some wonderful ones.

But I'm no expert either I'm just giving some ideas :)

i cannot remember the brand,i actually bought them from a cycle shop along with 2 sports bottles.
they made me ill, what are the sports direct ones like then?

i cannot remember the brand,i actually bought them from a cycle shop along with 2 sports bottles.
they made me ill, what are the sports direct ones like then?

I like them. They are a bit 'gloopy'. Really thick and chewy. They only used to do them in orange and mint but they just brought out srawberries and cream and chocolate fudge :)

Lonsdale_nut_info.jpg

Good luck with the 3peaks challenge, myself and 3 work colleagues are trying to get fit, we aim to do the 3welsh peaks challenge next year, then the national 3peaks. This year we've walked up 2 of the mountains in the 3peaks but not on the same day. Goal for snowdon is to go up and down in 6hrs, I made it in 7 with very little preparation, was so pleased with myself when I finally made it down though. Although gotto say when I got to the top ( believe me I was shattered ) there was the little train going past carrying loads of people up who thought it was good to have a beaming smile on their faces waving at you as they passed by, if I had the strength I would've stuck my 2fingers up at them, and then to rub it in they get out of the carriages with full walking gear on!!!!!! But it was worth it for the views, spectacular
Important tip make sure you got a well worn pair of walking boots. X

I like them. They are a bit 'gloopy'. Really thick and chewy. They only used to do them in orange and mint but they just brought out srawberries and cream and chocolate fudge :)

Lonsdale_nut_info.jpg

Just had mine come today, blimey not bad tasting at all, although I can't even manage a 1/4 of one in one go, they are very heavy going.

But I'm so glad I have found one now.

Back