• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks post op plateau?

CDG

Hi all.
Three weeks post op and have not lost any weight this past two weeks. I have been walking at least three miles every day and not even a pound down. Feeling a bit annoyed.
Also, I am a bit concerned that my next appointment with consultant is in October, which seems a loooong way away. (do have an appointment with the dietician on thursday).
Has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks for the advice.

Hi...

I had the same.. Was told not to panic let my body settle an work its magic.. I did just that an I'm now 9 weeks post op with a loss of 4+stone (includin pre op)

Good luck :) x

I plateaued about then and have done regularly followed by big losses. Our bodies all work differently and it can be so demoralising until you learn your 'pattern'. Xx

Thank you for your answers. Maybe I am just desperate to start seeing results. I have my appointment on thursday and hopefully that will help.

Our bodies react in different ways so I can only tell you what my team told me.
1) keep calm...body is struggling to understand what's going on;
2) drink as much as you can...if you don't drink enough fluids (and, particularly, water) during warm weather and exercising, body will hold on to it. Do not drink lot's of caffeine, it doesn't help;
3) check your protein intake...low prot intake doesn't help weight loss;
4) have 3 meals + 2 or 3 snacks a day;
5) exercise but do not overdo in early days.
Hope some of these ideas can help!

I also stalled after about two weeks out. Not only stalled; I gained 3lbs!! Panicked! Upped my fluid intake and it started moving again.

It's very normal.

if you are walking that much (are was not doing so previously) - you'll be building muscle which is heavier than fat but a lot less bulky.

What you are doing is good - but you may well see losses in mass faster than loss in weight initially.

Something else I was told and seems to make sense is that when we lose fat, out body replaces the cell spaces with water to start with rather than close them down. Therefore, when you are stalling - you may well notice bigger losses in mass..... then all of a sudden the weight starts moving as it retained fluids clear.s out.

I dont know if thats true - but it does tie in what seems to happen with me.....

A wee while back, I had a 6 week stall. Lost absolutely no weight, but did drop two dress sizes by the end of it ! Then the weight moved again....

HTH !

Don't panic! Providing that you are getting in enough fluid and enough food (pref protein) I am sure you will see a fab loss very soon. Your body has to adjust to it's new regime and then it will let go of the weight. I have had little stops and starts over the last 6.5 months (and had one at 3 weeks too) but just doing a quick mental check of what your taking in (enough protein? enough calories? - sounds odd but below 800 a day and I just stop loosing, enough liquid?, Vits?) If all is well, then you will almost definitely skip over this period in a couple of weeks max. Adding in the walking etc is a fab idea, I changed my body muscle by 4% in the first 6 weeks post surgery just from walking. Good luck and try not to stress too much about the scales at this stage (says she who always stressed about the scales at that stage!!) lol. x

Back