• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks til op! Please help?!!!!!??

junkinmytrunk

Hi everyone! :wavey:

Til now ive been silent, and just read everyones elses posts, biut i thought it was about time i joined in!
Im having a gastric bypass in 3 weeks, at Nuffield in leeds, with Simon Dexter!

Im getting nervous about it now, just daft things like eeeekkk a cathater (prob spelt wrong) and suppositories (prob spelt wrong again). I know these things dont matter on the big scheme of things but regardless this is whats running through my head!

I hope you lot and help me, as i have tonns of questions and stuff!

Like-
  • what did u guys have the first week to eat/drink? i know its mainly mush but what did u guys find was good? and did anyone have lots of protein drinks?
  • How long did u have off work?
  • How long did u stay in hospital?
  • Has anyone experienced hair loss? (im v scard of this!!)
  • Has anyone had it done at the same place as me? with same surgon?
Sorry for the thicko type questions

Em x :giggle:

Hi welcome to the site, I am still waiting for funding prior to gastric bypass but just wanted to welcome you. I did ask my surgeon about hair loss and he said it does not happen for everyone and it normally last between 6 and 9 months and your hair thins out but there are things you can take to prevent this. It does not happen with the band just the bypass I think but I am sure others will be along pretty quick with advice...xx

• what did u guys have the first week to eat/drink? i know its mainly mush but what did u guys find was good? and did anyone have lots of protein drinks?
Soup, yoghurt, low fat probiotic drinks like actimel, low fat ice cream, low sugar ice lollies, build-up drinks, milk, light hot chocolate drinks.

2 1/2 weeks in total, as had the op on a wednesday so went back to work 2 weeks on the following monday. It depends on how physical your job is (mine isn't at all physical), and how you feel. I felt like I could have done with another week off but I'm a lone worker and needed to get back.

2 nights, went home Friday.

Not hair loss, but thinning. For me this has been a good thing as I have way too much hair and pay to get it thinned normally! for most people, thinning is easily treated with selenium and zinc.

Not personally.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions shout, I'd happily give you my email address if you prefer.

Don't worry about the catheter, you won't feel it and it doesn't hurt when it's removed. Besides, you won't feel like getting up for a pee for the first day post op! I didn't have suppositories. The last 3 days of my pre-op diet were clear fluids only to clear out my insides.

Having the bypass is the best thing I've ever done. Along with getting married and having a child of course!

Welcome to mini's by the way, now that you've come out of lurkerdom I hope you get stuck in and get to know us all :)

Shel

Hi Em, Welcome to the site, great that you decided to say hello.

I'm in Leeds too, but am having my bypass at Jimmy's. I know there are some people here who have had theirs at Nuffield with Simon Dexter so they'll be able to help you more.

Just wanted to say good luck, and keep us updated on how you're doing :)

Soup, yoghurt, low fat probiotic drinks like actimel, low fat ice cream, low sugar ice lollies, build-up drinks, milk, light hot chocolate drinks.

2 1/2 weeks in total, as had the op on a wednesday so went back to work 2 weeks on the following monday. It depends on how physical your job is (mine isn't at all physical), and how you feel. I felt like I could have done with another week off but I'm a lone worker and needed to get back.

2 nights, went home Friday.

Not hair loss, but thinning. For me this has been a good thing as I have way too much hair and pay to get it thinned normally! for most people, thinning is easily treated with selenium and zinc.

Not personally.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions shout, I'd happily give you my email address if you prefer.

Don't worry about the catheter, you won't feel it and it doesn't hurt when it's removed. Besides, you won't feel like getting up for a pee for the first day post op! I didn't have suppositories. The last 3 days of my pre-op diet were clear fluids only to clear out my insides.

Having the bypass is the best thing I've ever done. Along with getting married and having a child of course!

Welcome to mini's by the way, now that you've come out of lurkerdom I hope you get stuck in and get to know us all :)

Shel

Hey SHell, thanks for that, that was really informative and set out very well.

Em, forgot to ask....what suppositories are you suppose to be having??
The night before my op, i'm to drink one jug of stuff to clear out the bowel, is everyone different?

hi and welcome
i had my bypass at leeds nuffield but under prof mcmahon, i didn't have a catheter, i was got up and onto a commode.
i was in for three days, no suppositries just a drink to clear bowels.
i stayed off work 4 weeks, that was because i could :)
i have definately got hair loss, but i am taking zinc for this.
as for food first couple of weeks it was soup weetabix yoghurt and slim fast shakes.
good luck with your journey

Til now ive been silent, and just read everyones elses posts, biut i thought it was about time i joined in!

Im getting nervous about it now, just daft things like eeeekkk a cathater (prob spelt wrong) and suppositories (prob spelt wrong again). I know these things dont matter on the big scheme of things but regardless this is whats running through my head!

Like-

Hi Em and welcome to minis. I had the bypass done at manchester royal infirmary on the 22nd may this year. I didn't find this site till after and wish i had as the support and advice from others in amazing.

I didn't need a cathetor or suppositaries. I stayed in hospital overnight and for the first few weeks only had fluids followed by a diet of puree and mush. It took me several weeks to move onto more normal foods and it wasn't easy getting them to go down initially.

I was off work for 2 weeks but could really have done with longer off.

I have experienced hair loss and it is still coming out in clumps. i have been given zinc and selanaise to help but have seen little improvement. I have been assured that this will be temporary and i won't go bald! thats a relief.

Good luck with your op and if you need any more advice or support please don't hesitate to contact me x

Like-

hi there,i take it you well passed your bypass now,can i ask did all go ok and are u loosing well ?as im with simon dexter in september-and iv got same worries as you ad catherter ect,if can help would be very greatfull.chris

Im getting nervous about it now ...

Don't worry it will all fall into place and things you think about now won't bother you when you are in hospital. x

• what did u guys have the first week to eat/drink? i know its mainly mush but what did u guys find was good? and did
Clear liquids for 2 weeks, thicker for 2 weeks mush for 4 weeks began trying most things at 9 weeks. No bread or sugar though.
  • anyone have lots of protein drinks?
Was given Fortimel by the hospital - Walsall Manor
7 weeks
3 nights - including night before the op
10 weeks post bypass and no sign yet - I hope I avoid it I must say, although the weight loss makes it all worth it!
No sorry.
Sorry for the thicko type questions -

they most certainly not 'thicko' questions!!!!

All the best!!!!

oops :D not sure how to delete post so this will do!

Last edited:
ummmm ladies - the orignal post was Oct 2008 (which is why I deleted my previous post). Just letting you know ;-)

Oh yes LOL :sign0007:

Back