• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 years post op and getting heartburn

lilypersian

Ella fellow weight loss surgery friends. Can I have some advice please? I'm 3 years post op with my gastric band, had a low BMI and have lost just over 3 stone. To cut a long story short, I'm getting heartburn a lot lately which I've never suffered with before. My food choices have been really bad lately, and I don't seem to have as much restriction as I think I should have. I have a 10ml band with 7.5ml in. I'm concerned my band may have slipped, but not sure what the symptoms would be if this has happened. Should I have all the fluid removed and start from scratch? Please help me put my mind at rest.

Can you go back to your provider and ask? My symptoms were vomiting everything solid, severe acid reflux and not being able to eat too much solid food, hence why we start on all the slider food again. But being able to eat a large portion of slider foods. Reflux was worse if anything acidic/ spicy had been eaten. They may try to do a complete unfill and put you on a liquid diet to help everything go back into place if possible. But you really need a professional to confirm what's happened. Good luck x

I am going though similar at The moment I have pain in my chest and my food has gone from little to lots! I had to pay for a xray, as im out of after care which cost £375 at the nuffeild. Turns out I have a leak in my port and fractured tubing from the port to my band.

Since I had the fluid removed ad it was only holding 1-3 ml when it should have 8.4 i have suffered with heartburn and chest pain...

I have to pay £2000 to get it fixed with my previous provider or the Nuffeild want £4226, Im desperate to have it done as I have put on 16 lbs - not being able to eat bread for 2 and a half years im like something possessed!!!

This may not be what you have but thought id share just in case xxx

Hope you get it sorted xx

Hi I was about three years when heart burn started then acid reflux started after having my gastric band! It seemed every time my band got tightened up it got worse (my band did take many fills to get the right restriction in the first place!) my band really became redundant because when it got tightened it made my reflux/heart burn unbearable! I persevered for another two years with a fairly full band causing severe reflux/ heartburn because I so wanted to loose weight with a tight band! I now have had my band took out and a bypass done and I am on no gavascon or reflux anti acid tablets and I feel great lost more weight than I did with my band I feel extremely lucky now as nhs have took me on (I paid private for my band) and now I have the support of the nhs! I do feel for you with heart burn it's dreadful when you aren't used to it! To help mine I was very careful when choosing my food choices no acidic foods and I took ranitidine 150mg it's wort a try but I would get your band looked at and don't ignore your reflux and heartburn ! Good luck with sorting it xxx

Back