• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help needed please.

Hi, I've not been on the site for a few months. I've also slipped back into my old way of eating. I have 6mls in a 10ml band. Needing a kick in the you know what and hope you can help me with getting back on track and any advice is welcome. Many thanks. Hx

Afandou-you know what you need to do so do it.
Right back to basics, right now.
Kick to bum administered.
Good luck xx

Hi, I've not been on the site for a few months. I've also slipped back into my old way of eating. I have 6mls in a 10ml band. Needing a kick in the you know what and hope you can help me with getting back on track and any advice is welcome. Many thanks. Hx

The main thing is that you have admitted you have slipped back and this act alone takes you out of denial and puts you a step forward in the right direction...

If you start a food diary it will help to get your focus back on track and other members can drop by on it and lend their support.

Minis so right. It's a step in the right direction to admit its not going the way you want it to ... But what's the root cause of this backwards step? Why have you slipped into your old ways, and what can you do differently to make sure you don't succumb again?

Big kick up the bum from us all may help?! many of us have probably got similar issues, as they don't go away overnight just because we have had surgery or lost weight successfully. Why have you not been here for a while? I am still on here most days, purely because I know that if I wasn't I may lose some of my focus. I don't want to be obsessed (and am less so than I used to be) but I also don't want to be alone and then drift back to the old me ... Which was a far worse place to be.

How are you coping with 6 mils in your band? Do you feel restriction if eating the right sorts of band friendly food? Are you too tight or not leaving enough time to eat slowly and chew chew chew, then struggling to eat the right sorts of food? Are you not tight enough, so you are having to rely on will power alone? Are you following the rules and then topping up on slider foods? if so are you eating enough of the right sorts of foods in the first place? What do your support team at the hospital say? Keeping a food / mood diary is definitely a great starting point ... And keep checking on into the forum, so we can hopefully nudge you forwards :)xxx

Hi
Thanks Mini and Flutterby for your replies. I have been eating slider foods like soup and spag carbonara. I'm tight first thing in the morning and then it eases off at night and that's when I start surfing in the fridge/cupboards. I'm going for a fill (I hope)later today. My last fill was on 15th January. I always come away really motivated and then it goes after a few weeks. I'm still seeing my psychologist about my obsessive eating habits. I've booked a holiday abroad for October to give me that incentive but that means i'm on a budget food wise. Anyway thanks again and i will keep you posted on how i get on. Big hugs X
Ps Thanks also to Miss Tickle for kick up backside. X

It is hard, when we lose focus. I've had a lot of solid months but the past 4 weeks have really been all over the place. It serves as a reminder that the band doesn't solve the issues and that it takes a lot of hard work.

I think its a positive that you are able to see where you are, but also where the issues may be. Slider foods being a big one. Stop at every meal and see what you can do to turn it around to being drier, crunchier, and protein based. I find that if I physically stop and think about it, it helps to make better choices. My band is always tighter during the day too, although I'm going for an emergency type appointment on friday because all of the restriction I did have has literally disappeared one night, went to bed not being able to eat anything, to waking up being able to eat a horse!

it sounds as if a fill may help you, and if you find that it motivates you, perhaps small but more regular fills may also help with the way that you eat. And its good that you're going to see someone about the eating habits. It sounds as if you're on the right track . . .

Keep a diary, log everything, and I think we are the only ones who can kick ourselves, I've a bruise on my bum after a dreadful weekend of eating.

Good luck to you!

hi. question. I have not yet had my band fitted. if you feel full after eating so little with the band, then how can you cheat by eating more? and how can you eat loads when you are so restricted? would you not be sick because the band cannot cope with so much food? sorry to ask these questions but i am a little confused x

hi. question. I have not yet had my band fitted. if you feel full after eating so little with the band, then how can you cheat by eating more? and how can you eat loads when you are so restricted? would you not be sick because the band cannot cope with so much food? sorry to ask these questions but i am a little confused x

Personally for me, like other banders, there are times of the day (morning) that the band feels tighter, and also time of the month that I feel tighter, but I have got to understand the fluctuations. Slider food, is the stuff that goes down through the band easily (things that are smooother, liquidy, fatty, covered in sauce, things that melt to a liquid for example) not making us feel full, so u can eat far more of it, without feeling satisfied. The crunchy stuff makes our stomach muscles work harder and stick more as they are going down...meaning they stay in our stomachs longer and make us feel satisfied for longer. For some banders who struggle with patience to eating slowly, chew enough, they can resort to slider food, because its easier, and it becomes/continues to be a bad habit :sigh:,

It is hard, when we lose focus. I've had a lot of solid months but the past 4 weeks have really been all over the place. It serves as a reminder that the band doesn't solve the issues and that it takes a lot of hard work.

I think its a positive that you are able to see where you are, but also where the issues may be. Slider foods being a big one. Stop at every meal and see what you can do to turn it around to being drier, crunchier, and protein based. I find that if I physically stop and think about it, it helps to make better choices. My band is always tighter during the day too, although I'm going for an emergency type appointment on friday because all of the restriction I did have has literally disappeared one night, went to bed not being able to eat anything, to waking up being able to eat a horse!

it sounds as if a fill may help you, and if you find that it motivates you, perhaps small but more regular fills may also help with the way that you eat. And its good that you're going to see someone about the eating habits. It sounds as if you're on the right track . . .

Keep a diary, log everything, and I think we are the only ones who can kick ourselves, I've a bruise on my bum after a dreadful weekend of eating.

Good luck to you!
Thanks Top_Kat I'm going to try my best and I've logged everything on MFP. I had a wee half ml fill this afternoon and it's feeling very tight so far. Was fine when i drank my water at the hosp and also when i was driving the 2hrs home but it's tight this evening. I'll see what it's like in the morning.
Good luck with your fill. Hx

It can take quite a time to reach a level of restriction - I had no restriction from my band until I was 6 months post op, which meant I could eat whatever foods I wanted and in whatever quantity, the only way my limits were in place where what I placed myself.

Also, a lot of "bad" foods are slider foods, so they pass through the band quite easily. you could for example eat so much of the wrong foods that slide down and it is often the case that these foods are high cal/high fat, such as biscuits, cakes, crisps chocolate etc. You will often see people say the band isn't working for them, when in reality, it is them not working with the band. It takes a lot of control over what you eat, a lot of will power!

until you get to a place of having restriction or indeed until finding the right level, can take time, and prior to those times the hunger levels can be the same as if you didn't have the band at all. Getting to this point varies and it can be a fine line. I had no restriction until 6 months post op, but then I had a fill that took me the other way, with too much restriction, I could eat very few foods, apart from slider foods and this has in fact slowed my weight loss right down.

Thanks Top_Kat I'm going to try my best and I've logged everything on MFP. I had a wee half ml fill this afternoon and it's feeling very tight so far. Was fine when i drank my water at the hosp and also when i was driving the 2hrs home but it's tight this evening. I'll see what it's like in the morning.
Good luck with your fill. Hx

Take it easy, my last fill gave me too much restriction and it took a good 6 weeks for me to be able to eat a great deal of foods, and during those times I ended up going back to liquids only for 5-6 days 3 or 4 times.

Hi
Thanks Mini and Flutterby for your replies. I have been eating slider foods like soup and spag carbonara. I'm tight first thing in the morning and then it eases off at night and that's when I start surfing in the fridge/cupboards. I'm going for a fill (I hope)later today. My last fill was on 15th January. I always come away really motivated and then it goes after a few weeks. I'm still seeing my psychologist about my obsessive eating habits. I've booked a holiday abroad for October to give me that incentive but that means i'm on a budget food wise. Anyway thanks again and i will keep you posted on how i get on. Big hugs X
Ps Thanks also to Miss Tickle for kick up backside. X

just wanted to say hope you manage to kick start things a few days on a slimfast type only diet did it for me a few times only a few days at most but it was like wiping the slate clean. also remember if you are going thru therapy you will be bringing up things that subcontiously you may be finding hard to face it can really affect without you realising your eating habbits. good luck x

just wanted to say hope you manage to kick start things a few days on a slimfast type only diet did it for me a few times only a few days at most but it was like wiping the slate clean. also remember if you are going thru therapy you will be bringing up things that subcontiously you may be finding hard to face it can really affect without you realising your eating habbits. good luck x
Thanks moomoo1
I've bought some protein shakes so will give them a try. Have good and bad days mood wise but will get there. Thanks for your reply. X

Back