• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 weeks pre op

sophiapink100

Hi guys,

So I have posted on another thread but didn't realise there was an introduce yourself section

I am Sophie, 23 and extremely overweight. Having battled with my weight since being a child and after many long years of battling with doctors and hospitals for help I have finally got a surgery date for 10th feb.

I was all excited and then I just went into the post op forum and read some horrific stories of things going wrong ... Boy has that scared me!

I am due to start my liver shrinkage diet on Monday and also quit smoking ... Did anyone else feel like they needed a food funeral just before their pre op diet?

Sophie x

hi and welcome good luck for your journey

I thought about my *last supper* many times, in the end I had a cancellation and needed to start the milk diet the next day, thats when it hit me that really food wasn't that important, I just had the chicken and veg I'd prepared for dinner and started the milk diet the next day.

Hey Sophia, I'm 23 in March and waiting for my op date. Welcome! Are you having the bypass or sleeve? Don't be too scared with all the post-op stuff, it's different for everyone! I'm having a sleeve so I don't particularly feel the need to have a food funeral as I'll still be able to eat everything, just in much smaller quantities :) I can guarantee that I'll have a really nice meal a couple of days before I start the pre-op diet though :)

Food funeral .... Good name for it! I like seeing young people take control and go for whatever it takes to improve their future health and quality of life. So many of us struggle for years before making the decision and opt for surgery. I say well done for having such courage.

Hey Sophia, I'm 23 in March and waiting for my op date. Welcome! Are you having the bypass or sleeve? Don't be too scared with all the post-op stuff, it's different for everyone! I'm having a sleeve so I don't particularly feel the need to have a food funeral as I'll still be able to eat everything, just in much smaller quantities :) I can guarantee that I'll have a really nice meal a couple of days before I start the pre-op diet though :)

Hi Brooke.

I am also having a sleeve. However I have been put under the impression that I won't ever eat properly again? I have been told no alcohol, no fizzy drinks, no bread etc.

How far into the programme are you? Have you gone private or NHS?

Food funeral .... Good name for it! I like seeing young people take control and go for whatever it takes to improve their future health and quality of life. So many of us struggle for years before making the decision and opt for surgery. I say well done for having such courage.

Thank you :) that really means a lot.

I have been fighting for this since I was about 18, having always been an overweight child and trying everything.

I am hoping this is my new beginning.

I didn't have a significant weight problem until my second child was born and I couldn't stop gaining. I acted on it and had wls privately. It gave me back my life. I was 27. That was 10 years ago and at the time everyone else I met having wls were in their 40's and 50's. All wished they had done it sooner!

10 years on, a band slip, an incorrect preposition and another baby now finally I'm being revised to a bypass on Tuesday. Phase two of getting my life back on track.... Again!

Welcome and good luck with your journey.

For every 'something went wrong' story there are dozens of 'everything has been fine' but not many people seem to post those because there isn't really much to say (like a newspaper always prints sensational stories as they are what sells).

I got a call on a Monday to say I was having my op 2 weeks later so I had to start my pre-op diet 5 hours BEFORE the call so no food funeral for me.

Welcome and good luck with your journey. For every 'something went wrong' story there are dozens of 'everything has been fine' but not many people seem to post those because there isn't really much to say (like a newspaper always prints sensational stories as they are what sells). I got a call on a Monday to say I was having my op 2 weeks later so I had to start my pre-op diet 5 hours BEFORE the call so no food funeral for me.

Good luck with the op Hun.

I just keep thinking - only good things can happen from here! :)

I didn't have a significant weight problem until my second child was born and I couldn't stop gaining. I acted on it and had wls privately. It gave me back my life. I was 27. That was 10 years ago and at the time everyone else I met having wls were in their 40's and 50's. All wished they had done it sooner! 10 years on, a band slip, an incorrect preposition and another baby now finally I'm being revised to a bypass on Tuesday. Phase two of getting my life back on track.... Again!

You go girl! When I went for my meeting it was a group meeting. I was the youngest by at least 20 years. My dad had the bypass at 45 and he said to me that he wishes he did it younger also.

Good luck with your second journey! Hopefully only good things will come from it xx

Hi there good luck with your op!! Food funeral I love it! I'm will defo be doing the same, i'm just waiting for my last appointment in march when i should hopefully go on the waiting list. Exciting times ahead!

Back