• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op and confused

MrsKoj

Hi everyone, I am pre-op for WLS at the Spire Murrayfield Hospital in Edinburgh.

I am 31 years old, weigh 115kg and have been fat/overweight all my life despite being a professional ice skater from the age of 5 - 23ish.

I thought I had decided on the surgery I wanted. I believed it was the sleeve all the way for me but the more research and have discussions about the bypass the more I think I could be swayed that way. I know that the surgeons prefer the bypass as they have more research and data on it however I still can't say for definite what operation I think is best for me.

Funding is a big issue for me - obviously going private means self-funding so my husband is working all the hours he can at the minute to try and sort out our finances so we can get a loan to pay for this. However he is currently 3 years into his 5 years masters degree at university so can only work full time when it isn't term time. I don't work as I am looking after our 2 year old little boy. Realistically it is going to be towards the end of the year before we can afford to get the surgery done.

I just want to say good luck and well done to everyone that has been posting on here - I have been reading the forum now for a week or so before I worked out how to post in here, your stories have all been fascinating and a great resource in trying to help me make my decision.

I hope to speak to you all in the different discussions

X

Crackers169

Hi Mrs Koj
Just a belated welcome. I live in West Lothian and had my sleeve done at the Murrayfield about 18 months ago now.

I hope you get the money sorted soon and can set off on this amazing journey.

Crackers x

MrsKoj

Hi Mrs Koj
Just a belated welcome. I live in West Lothian and had my sleeve done at the Murrayfield about 18 months ago now.

I hope you get the money sorted soon and can set off on this amazing journey.

Crackers x

Hi, thanks for replying. How are you getting on with your sleeve?
I am aiming more towards that again but who bows - I need to get the finances sorted so I can stop all the yo yo-ing backward and forward about what to have

tealovingsleever

Be really honest with your eating habits and your surgery will choose you x

Sashie1977

You will get those who love their sleeve, those who love their bypass and those who love their band. I love my sleeve-pass but I wouldn't wish the journey on anyone! Lol You need to figure out your eating habits and that will decide your surgery, but at the end of the day the choice is yours. As I have said to you before, if I realised the bypass wasn't the big scary op I though it was, I would have just had it instead of bothering with the sleeve, but that's me. Don't concern yourself with the dumping because it can happen with both ops. Some people have it with both ops and some people don't get it at all. It's just your luck. I have a totally normal eating life, it's as though I haven't had surgery apart from the quantity.
Take time to speak to Mr D or Mr T and ask loads and loads of questions. Remember they have both had to deal with me so they have heard it all! Lol they will advise you the best they can but it is ultimately up to you.
Hope you are ok Hun xxx

Last edited:

MrsKoj

You will get those who love their sleeve, those who love their bypass and those who love their band. I love my sleeve-pass but I wouldn't wish the journey on anyone! Lol You need to figure out your eating habits and that will decide your surgery, but at the end of the day the choice is yours. As I have said to you before, if I realised the bypass wasn't the big scary op I though it was, I would have just had it instead of bothering with the sleeve, but that's me. Don't concern yourself with the dumping because it can happen with both ops. Some people have it with both ops and some people don't get it at all. It's just your luck. I have a totally normal eating life, it's as though I haven't had surgery apart from the quantity.
Take time to speak to Mr D or Mr T and ask loads and loads of questions. Remember they have both had to deal with me so they have heard it all! Lol they will advise you the best they can but it is ultimately up to you.
Hope you are ok Hun xxx

I am good thanks, loving this forum but just getting my head in a mess.
I just wish we had the money now so that I didn't have to think about it anymore, my brain just doesn't stop thinking about it and it is driving me mad.
I wish I hadn't considered it until we had the money cause then I wouldn't be sending myself mental lol x

Sashie1977

I am good thanks, loving this forum but just getting my head in a mess.
I just wish we had the money now so that I didn't have to think about it anymore, my brain just doesn't stop thinking about it and it is driving me mad.
I wish I hadn't considered it until we had the money cause then I wouldn't be sending myself mental lol x

I know, it must be hard. You know you will get there and it will be so worth it when it happens. You know where I am if you ever just want to vent! Xx

MrsKoj

I know, it must be hard. You know you will get there and it will be so worth it when it happens. You know where I am if you ever just want to vent! Xx

Thanks chick, you are a star.
Literally driving myself demented with it all.
Xxx

Lincs Lass

I am so sorry, just seen this. Welcome to the the forum x

The sleeve was never discussed in my case except to say that if I had internal scarring from a previous op there was a small chance I'd have to be sleeved instead.

I love my bypass. No feeling of hunger, no cravings etc but as others have said there are fans of both procedures.

You may have already done this but for a week try writing down everything you've eaten, the quantities, your feelings, did you plan the food or (like I was guilty of) was it halfway to your mouth before you even realised you'd prepared it. Be totally honest with yourself.

Then compare this to the pros and cons of each op. the dietetic nurses are brilliant but they can only assess what we tell them and I'm hopeless in appointments and forget just about everything!!

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Can't believe I have missed this post....Hi and welcome to the site MrsKjoi and fellow scot :) I'm having my surgery next month in RossHall. I hope that you get the funding sorted soon ... It's one hell of a ride!

Danielle <3

My surgeon basically said to me If I lost weight he would reward me with whatever operation I wanted. I worked my way thru my eating patterns and my relationship with food to decide which one would suit me. I decided the band was a useful tool but just not enough restriction for me, I was dead set on the sleeve then but my eating habits swayed more towards the bypass eg Portion sizes. I was never a grazer just an overeater with the size of my meals and I never had a real recognition of when I was full. Hope u come to a decision soon, Try not to stress over it, relax and concentrate on getting the money together and once u have it u can then make ur final decision Good luck x

MrsKoj

Can't believe I have missed this post....Hi and welcome to the site MrsKjoi and fellow scot :) I'm having my surgery next month in RossHall. I hope that you get the funding sorted soon ... It's one hell of a ride!

Hi FemFrankie thanks for the welcome. What op are you going for? X

Sashie1977

I constantly graze all day (sleeve) but my portion sizes are also massive (bypass) so either operation will benefit me.

Today I am back towards the sleeve - and honestly think this is the way I am going to go now.

Your eating habits are exactly the same as mine were Hun! Xx

Sashie1977

What were you advised then? Were you advised the bypass but went for the sleeve?

Yes, but I was too scared to do the bypass but I wish I had just gone for it. It has totally sorted out my eating habits far better than my sleeve did, but again that's just me! X

tealovingsleever

I constantly graze all day (sleeve) but my portion sizes are also massive (bypass) so either operation will benefit me.

Today I am back towards the sleeve - and honestly think this is the way I am going to go now.

The sleeve is not recommended for grazers. It doesn't stop you eating all day. Sounds like a bypass would be better although no surgery does everything for you tbh.

Sashie1977

The sleeve certainly won't stop you grazing. You can graze with both ops but you need to try not to do it. That part is will power, neither op will stop that side of things x