• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 day pouch test - day 1....

emmafifema

Hi all,

I have today begun my 5 day pouch test in the hope I will regain some control over my eating habits and get the tightness feeling back in my pouch.

So, day 1 has consisted of the following....

Breakfast - protein shake
Lunch - butternut squash and chili soup
Dinner - butternut squash and chili soup

I also had 2 more protein shakes a bovril drink and lots of tea!

Not feeling too bad today, have noticed a lack of flatulence which I am pleased about and not feeling massively hungry so all good...roll on day 2.......:)

Bally

Well done, Emma.
I'm sure you will be able regain control over your pouch and reach your target weight asap (even if, according to your ticker, you are only 6/10lbs away).

shelleymarie

I've done the test twice now and found it very helpful to get back on track starting from basics again. You will prob find you lose a nice amount over the next 5 days too to give you a nice kick start again :)

emmafifema

Thanks guys and gals......Day 2 is proving to be OK so far - Had protein shake for breakfast, 2 cups of tea and then butternut squash and chili soup for lunch. I intend on having a bovril and a few more cuppas before dinner which will soup again and another protein shake this evening.

I know you're not allowed to drink half hour before and after eating but I have to have a mouthful of water immediately after every meal to take my tablets (i take around 26 a day)...hoping this won't make too much difference.

emmafifema

Wow, I am really surprised already........I was only able to eat half a bowl of soup at dinner time today whereas before I could eat a whole bowl. I'm feeling great!

Tezza

Wow, I am really surprised already........I was only able to eat half a bowl of soup at dinner time today whereas before I could eat a whole bowl. I'm feeling great!

How far out are you. I'm thinking of doing the pouch test. I'm 6 months out but feel I'm losing restriction. Would you recommend it?

emmafifema

Hi, I'm 3 years out now and am finding the pouch test very helpful already BUT I don't think you are meant to attempt it until you are at least 12 months post op??

shelleymarie

Thanks guys and gals......Day 2 is proving to be OK so far - Had protein shake for breakfast, 2 cups of tea and then butternut squash and chili soup for lunch. I intend on having a bovril and a few more cuppas before dinner which will soup again and another protein shake this evening.

I know you're not allowed to drink half hour before and after eating but I have to have a mouthful of water immediately after every meal to take my tablets (i take around 26 a day)...hoping this won't make too much difference.

Ideally you will be have a dry pouch from day 3 but if you have no choice, and you don't then I don't think it will have too much of an effect just a sip of water. I think it wouldn't be as effective if you drank a big glass of water after eating but a mouthful shouldn't push everything out of your pouch but if you still have access to your dietician they might have more advice :)

emmafifema

Ideally you will be have a dry pouch from day 3 but if you have no choice, and you don't then I don't think it will have too much of an effect just a sip of water. I think it wouldn't be as effective if you drank a big glass of water after eating but a mouthful shouldn't push everything out of your pouch but if you still have access to your dietician they might have more advice :)

That was something else I was going to ask......when on day 3,4 and 5 what can I drink? Tes, Protein shakes, bovril???

shelleymarie

I drank plenty of water and tea but protein shakes and bovril will be fine too :) Anything not fizzy or high in sugar is fine :)

shelleymarie

Thank you for the reply. I'll research it more.

6 months is post op is fine :) well that is what they recommend on the site of the site that gives info about it. Having said that I do think that it has been designed by one of us, just someone who had the surgery that wanted to get back to basics. You certainly don't need it before 6 months and I did it at 6 months but looking back now I don't think I needed then. I think it really helps, not to shrink you pouch as I know a lot of people think it will, but to help you go back to basics when things get hard. For me at nearly 18 months out I would find sticking to the 5 day pouch test hard, and that is when it is helpful because if it is easy, it might not be needed :) x

Last edited:

emmafifema

DAY 3:

Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg
Lunch: 1 tuna pattie
Dinner: 1 egg omlette with 1 slice of ham and one slice of low fat cheese

Snacks/Drinks: lots of Tea, 1 bovril drink, 2 protein shakes.....possibly another protein shake or another pattie for supper.

Today has been great, felt a bit hungry towards lunch time and then when I plated up my tuna pattie I thought "Oh my god that's never gonna fill me up!" But I persevered and after I finished I felt comfortably full so what you put on the plate does make a huge difference!! I would have eaten waaaay more than that previously!

Looking forward to tomorrow - making some turkey patties from the 5DPT website for tomorrow xx

emmafifema

DAY 4:

Lunch: Turkey pattie from 5DPT website
Dinner: Turkey pattie

Snacks: 2 proteing shakes, 1 skinny latte, Bovril, tea

Again I felt hungry towards lunchtime today but held out and the pattie filled me right up. Just had my 2nd protein shake of the day and am feeling a bit on the bloated side so don't think there is any room for anything else other than a cuppa tonight!

On the scales this morning and I am down 7lb in total from day 1!!!

I think I am going to have another day 4 tomorrow to use up the patties I made and then go onto day 5 as I am feeling more than happy with it right now......although still peeing for England!

emmafifema

DAY 5:

Lunch: Turkey pattie from 5DPT website....with tbsp of tzatziki
Dinner: Turkey pattie from 5DPT website....with 1 tbsp of tzatziki

Snacks: 2 protein shakes, 1 bovril, tea

Hungry again leading up to lunch, think I may have to think about having a banana in yogurt for a morning snack! I have definitely noted that when I eat my lunch and dinner I finish and feel I could eat a lot more but after about half hour I feel full! So the trick is to weigh my food in 4-7 ounce portions and only plate that up.

I will be eating some chicken tomorrow night for dinner so see how that goes. I have read up a bit on what the average post bypasser should be able to eat at 18months + and it seems that its between 6 and 10 ounces per portion so I know that I am doing OK at the moment but don't want to eat much more than I am just think I need to aim for 5 - 6 of these 4-6 ounce meals a day to keep me satisfied.

And I think I will now stick to drinking 2 protein shakes a day as they seem to fill me right up more so than food!

Anyone know of any good protein bars?

Tezza

6 months is post op is fine :) well that is what they recommend on the site of the site that gives info about it. Having said that I do think that it has been designed by one of us, just someone who had the surgery that wanted to get back to basics. You certainly don't need it before 6 months and I did it at 6 months but looking back now I don't think I needed then. I think it really helps, not to shrink you pouch as I know a lot of people think it will, but to help you go back to basics when things get hard. For me at nearly 18 months out I would find sticking to the 5 day pouch test hard, and that is when it is helpful because if it is easy, it might not be needed :) x

Hi, thank you. I think I'm going to do it week after next as I'm on holiday from work this week and have family visiting. I feel I could do to get back to basics and gain a bit of control.

emmafifema

ok so I now find myself what amounts I should actually be eating at meal times??? Anyone know?? I mean I was weighing out my food for this test but now I don't know how much veg I can add to my meals. I stuck to the 4-6 ounce rule which is no more than 170g of food.......I feel I could eat more than this though....maybe my pouch has stretched slightly? Not sure i can forever eat 170g of food for dinner!

emma-louise

my new life!!
ok so I now find myself what amounts I should actually be eating at meal times??? Anyone know?? I mean I was weighing out my food for this test but now I don't know how much veg I can add to my meals. I stuck to the 4-6 ounce rule which is no more than 170g of food.......I feel I could eat more than this though....maybe my pouch has stretched slightly? Not sure i can forever eat 170g of food for dinner!

I'm over 3 yrs post op bypass,and I can't eat more than a toddler plate size of food,
How far our are you?