• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 Days POST -OP..am I doing something wrong ??

emma-louise

my new life!!
Evening all..

need a little help,Im 5 days out of surgery and I feel Im doing quite well with getting fluids/liquids.
Ive had soups,smoothies,oxo,water(trying as best as possible to get enough)milk with marvel..

My wind pains are improving,but for the past 2 times Ive finished my soups,my stomach has felt like stabbing pains..
Im not sure if Im sipping it too fast,or Ive got my portion wrong(I have a small toddler cup full)
One of my soups was a strained pea and ham,so I wondering if it was too thick..

is this just simply painful wind,and how long do you get this after meals is at all,or just sometimes?

thanks xx

Why dont your try halving what you have, just for a day and see if it improves.

Your tummy may still be swollen after the op as if you think of it it has had a very big trauma.

It is difficult to get used to such small portions, I still overcook and I am 4 months post op.

I had pea and ham soup blended with somewater added and thats gone down ok. It may be that you had too much too quickly. If it starts before you finish have a rest until it goes before carrying on. I still have horrid wind pains.

My diet sheet says to have 200ml of soup and to not take more than 230 mls per hour x

em, it could be that with the pea n ham soup, it was a bit thicker than the ones youve been having, therefore you woud probably need to eat a little less of it, thats what i found it was when something very similar happened to me hun. youll find when u go onto purees that you cant eat half as much as you do now, and when u go onto normal consistancy food, even less again. so dont worry, just eat a little less if its a thicker soup, or water it down a bit. hugs xx

hi dawn,

its hard to judge when you think youve had enough,as its all new.
Im wondering if the toddler cup size has been too much for a portion size of soup..xx

it might be emma, i used to eat a couple of spoonfuls, then wait for a minute, usually id burp, lol, i still do bring a lot of wind up off my pouchy, even though i dont rush, and really chew, weird. anyway,then id have another couple, rest, another couple, rest, and if you do that, you can feel yourself actually getting fuller, it takes time for your brain, to get the message from your pouch that its had enuff, and if u dont rest, you could overfill yourself, and thats not pleasant at all, i felt horrible the couple of times its happened to me, so i do the couple mouthfuls n rest thing now all the time. you will get to know your own pouch, it just takes a bit of time thats all. your doing great huni, big hugs, xx

I still suffer a lot with wind Emma, even now. It could well be wind, especially if you're eating a little fast. Have you tried Deflatine love? xxx

Hi Emma, I had op on same day as you so we can compare notes!! I could not possibly drink a toddler cup of soup . . so perhaps that is the problem? I 'water' mine down with a bit of semi skimmed milk in the blender to add protein rather than the water but then I put it in a bowl and have it by the spoonful rather than 'drink' it. I think that way you probably a. go slower and b. feel restriction sooner. I had a whole banana mashed up with candarel today to make it really sloppy . . but I ate it in three separate sessions. It really is a learning game isnt it?! Must admit my hardest problem is the volume of water we need to drink. ergh ... I never was a water drinker but guess I am going to have to learn!!:rolleyes:

hsmel why do you have to learn to love water? I never drink it in it's pure form. No added sugar squash makes it bearable and vlc.... Tea/coffee/options chocolate drink all help too :)

Emma i would personally recommend soup out of a bowl, i don't think you're having too much but i do think sipping off a spoon will make a difference to how quickly you get through it and help with the wind pain. And apart from anything else you feel like you're eating with a bowl and spoon xxx

hi all,

yes charis I got some deflatine in and windeze,
Ive been ok all day no wind pains,and then my last bowl of soup I got discomfort again,
arrrrr...this is going to take some time to get used too.
I dont think Im having too much soup and Im really sipping my spoon.
I dont know what Im doing wrong,this may sound a silly question,but how do you know if wind pain or you have ate too much ?

xxxxx

hsmel why do you have to learn to love water? I never drink it in it's pure form. No added sugar squash makes it bearable and vlc.... Tea/coffee/options chocolate drink all help too :)

Ha - probably because I am a diet coke/red bull and ribena girl!! Have been trying to drink enough by adding nas squash and I do drink coffee and tea but just struggling with the sheer volume!!:eek: Seem to be able to either eat, or drink, but struggle to do enough of both during the course of the whole day!!

hi all,

yes charis I got some deflatine in and windeze,
Ive been ok all day no wind pains,and then my last bowl of soup I got discomfort again,
arrrrr...this is going to take some time to get used too.
I dont think Im having too much soup and Im really sipping my spoon.
I dont know what Im doing wrong,this may sound a silly question,but how do you know if wind pain or you have ate too much ?

wind hurts in all kinds of strange places, like shoulder blades...feeling full (for me) is an uncomfortable feeling just below my left breast. And Deflatine normally shifts the wind!
Try eating about half, then getting up and having a little walk and then see if you can manage some more after about 5-10 minutes? It is a learning curve honey. I try to err on the side of less than more.

xxxxx

Ha - probably because I am a diet coke/red bull and ribena girl!! Have been trying to drink enough by adding nas squash and I do drink coffee and tea but just struggling with the sheer volume!!:eek: Seem to be able to either eat, or drink, but struggle to do enough of both during the course of the whole day!!

It is very hard at first Mel,but it gets better, honestly. I always have a cup of NAS squash, unless it's a meal time, and I'm sipping constantly. I don't go anywhere without a drink.

i always have a small sports type bottle on the go, with nas squash in it, that way im just sipping little bits and not having big mouthfuls,ive found its the easiest way of getting all my fluids down me, if i have coffee, or any other hot drink, i use one of them insulated type cups with a sipper thing on top, that way i dont drink too much coffee etc in one go either, so less wind, i got mine from tesco, for £2. also, i dont have to keep throwing drinks away cos theyve gone cold, cos they keep warm for a couple of hours.

what a good idea,u know I got some of those cups in!!
and I was thinking I was sick of cold coffee...lol

u ok dawn xx

hi em, im fine huni, apart from the usual stuff. i hope your pouchy settles down soon hun, sometimes it can take time, just take each day as it comes, and face any challenges that you may get as they come, you might find it a bit easier once you go onto pureed stuff, i did. and i found it even easier still once i went onto normal diet. now the only probs i have are actually eating enough,which is why i think my loss is so slow, but then i never did have the biggest of appetites, i had to leave ww cos i could never use up all my points, so virtually lost no weight. now im losing, just abit slower than most ppl.
i think your doing fab huni, take it day by day and youll be fine. big hugs x

thanks dawn,

I did ring dietican for advice this morning.
Im reading people food diary post op,and Im thinking I aint get enough!
My food at minute is just oxo,soup,jelly, yogurt everyone else even though on liquid stage seems to be doing so more exciting food.

Im just worried I think as I new to all this xxxx

try not to worry too much em, dont forget youve just had major surgery, theyve totally replumbed your stomach/bowel, and messed it around, then theres the anestetic to get over, so when u think of it, your doing fantastic. just try to get your milk/protein in as best you can,milkycoffee, with the marvel in your ss milk, also, 'water ' down your thicker soups with the milk, have yogurts, i had the muller fruit corners, but didnt have the corner, i just had the yogurt. have choccy drinks like options and skinny cow (i love that),but make it with the milk instead of water. it all adds to your protein, plus its liquids as well. it will all work out, try not to over worry, its the worst thing you can do. im sending big hugs, cos i think you need one at the moment. hugs n snuggles, xxx

why you not allowed suger free jelly zns ?
as once its in mouth it turns to liquid ?
Jelly has been very reshreshing! forgot how nice it really is...xx

Back