• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 weeks post op, mental sluggish

pizzaman

Century Club
I had a Gastric bypass on 28th November (really happy with my decision!). After the operation I suffered some internal bleeding, was quite bad, my blood count (HB/haemoglobin??) went down from 14 to 7 (which is apparently very low for a man, women’s are naturally lower). The medical staff where certainly panicking. I was passing out/falling asleep while they we debating if had enough blood to be OK for anaesthetic to go back into surgery or if better to postpone surgery to get more blood into me. The surgeon was not happy to go ahead until they pumped 2 units into me, in the end I had one unit of enriched blood (which they squeezed (literally!!) into me in 20 mins despite the warning on pack saying should be administered over at least 3 hours…)

Was all OK, they kept pumping enriched blood into me over the next 4 days and came out of hospital feeling great (blood count was up to 10.6 on last test 4 weeks ago). I really was full of energy and mentally alert when came out of hospital. I then caught a cold which brought me down for the next few weeks and have never felt right since.

Whilst off work I was sleeping up to 14 hours a day. I had recorded load of good stuff on TV but could not even be bothered to watch it and ended up watch rubbish daytime TV. I could not even be bothered to browse the internet (was 5 weeks after surgery before I even looked at this forums I normal check every day or 2). I find it quite strange I could not be bothered to do the things I normal do to relax!

Started back at work on Tuesday and it’s becoming very obvious to me I am not mentally firing on all cylinders. Physically it’s not a problem, cannot even tell I have had an operation (cannot believe how little pain I have experienced). I have a lack of concentration and motivation.

I am eating a very balanced diet, I estimate between 1200-1500 cals a day containing lots of protein and quality nutrition (have never had a problem eating anything and can comfortably eat a 400g meal in one sitting). I am struggling to drink as much water as I should; I mainly remember to drink around meal times when I should not be drinking…)

Don’t believe lack of calories to be an issue, I lived off 500-600 cals a day for 6 months and had lots of energy (losing 16 stones!!!! BBC - Nottingham man loses 16 stone in just six months I put on 8 stone over the next year but at least on way back down again).

Suspect I am short on something my body needs, suspect B vitamins (perhaps replacing the missing blood and having a cold my have drained me off something my body is not absorbing fast enough). I am not due my first injection for 8 weeks, but have made an appointment with the doctor this afternoon to see can have this sooner. I am also going to add a B-vitamin supplement to my diet.

People may suggest I am expecting too much and after 5 weeks I should just give it time, but felt a lot more alert 1 week after the operation than I do now. Cannot do as much physical I could but I am quite active and this is not an issue (was ridiculously fit for someone my size before operation, most people my size would be please with my current activity levels). It my mind that is concerning me…

Other than B-vitamins and drinking more can anyone suggest anything that may help?

Thanks
Simon

Hi simon
I think a B12 shot would really help, every post ive read about people having these all say it ups there energy and wellbeing. But dont forget its only 5 weeks since surgery, thats only 840 hours ago!!
Hope you feel better soon
Kim

Have a word with your team, Simon ... think you may need the B12 injection but they may also want to run some more bloods ... good luck, honey xxx :wave_cry:

My head has been wooly since the op - dr said to me was the aesthetic it takes time to wear off apparently - i too came back the same day as you and am making silly mistakes i think we expect too much of ourselves too soon - but you should go and check with either your GP or your Consultant as there could be another problem

take care

I think they bypassed my brain as well as my stomach, it sounds all too familiar to me. I was "done" 10 days before you and this week I have felt a bit brighter. I have even started reading again. I was an avid reader pre op, up to 3 books a week but haven't read ANYTHING until a week ago, now I am on my second book.
I also am sleeping loads. I could sleep 12 hours then drop off again in a few hours for 3 or 4 hours! I was always a 7 hours a night girl.
Hope fully you will feel better soon.

In terms of vitamins, I am taking Iron supplement Ferrous Fumarate, Vitamin D & with calcium from day 5 and a B12 injection few days ago. It helps with the tiredness. For the food intake, I have about 85% protein. (scramble eggs with cheese, stew with veg, fish). Tried carbs one day and found I got increasingly hunger, so have ditch it. Only 1 spoonful a day. Like you I find it hard to drink all the water, but I hear it is good for weightloss, so I am prioritising it now.

Hi Simon, congratulations on getting your surgery!

I would agree about seeing your doc for bloods, and also not underestimating the benefit of the B12 injection - I just had my second one a couple of weeks ago, and my god I didnt realise how much I needed it until afterwards, when I suddenly felt alive again! Also I find that the less I drink, the more sluggish I feel, so I have to constantly sip from a sports bottle wherever I am - driving, shopping etc, I can never stop or I just dont fit enough fluid into a day! Good luck xx

Thanks for your advice everyone. Went to see Doctor yesterday and was booked in for full blood count and B12 injection this mourning which I have just had.

Was prescribed 1 injection but nurse believe I need 6 over the next fortnight to get my level back up. She is going to contact doctor to see if will prescribed more injections. Should get blood results back on Monday, I am going to wait till I get this before contacting my team at hospital.

Sounds like what I am experiencing is fairly normal, I just like my brain to be working properly! To find typing a response like this out I am having to really concentrate on the keyboard is not normal for me! I normal enjoy reading, but an A4 page of text seems daunting, think the books I brought to read while recuperating will be on the shelf awhile...

B12 should kick in within a few days so fingers crossed will be feeling better next week.

Thanks
Simon

Hun get to your dcs get them to do your bloods, air flow, bloods pressure etc... you know your own body and you know your lacking in something... they will find out what hun... Good luck hun, and keep us updated... things will pick up xx

Hi simon
Hope you are feeling better,
did you have your B12 injections, was it that causing the problem? :) xx

Back