• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

+ 6 monts, eating issues

BigDave99

a second chance at life
Hi everyone, as a memeber looking at getting a bypass soon, i am reading a lot of worrying things, a lot of members seem to be say that at +6 months you are able to eat a lot more eshpecially the bad thing for me like chrisps,
Maybe i just dont understand how this works yet.

What have been your biggest problems with being able to eat after a pypass.

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave, that's a good question that's often hard to comprehend by some people, myself included.

If you want to get great results, you work at it. Me? I'd been really big and I was looking forward to a better life. This was my drive and determination. Now, nearly 2 years on, I do have crisps unfortunately. BUT! I have made the changes in my life that allow me to have them for a convenience snack. I'm not saying it's right, I should have a bag of fruit or something, but crisps are the devil! But I exercise that much now that it doesn't really affect my diet. I'd probably be a bit lighter if I stuck to the diet I did in the first year, but I certainly don't worry about what I eat now.

Everything in moderation if you're looking after yourself exercise wise.

Thanks mixman
I guess its all about having the strength that the surgery gives you to be able to get your head round it all.

I did lose 10 stone with diet and following this became a cycling fanatic even taking part In long distance audax rides, bit old eating habits got the better of me, so you can see why I am worried

Thanks again
Dave

You learn moderation in all things, honestly with the results you will get you won't sabotage yourself... Don't worry unduly xx

Hi everyone, as a memeber looking at getting a bypass soon, i am reading a lot of worrying things, a lot of members seem to be say that at +6 months you are able to eat a lot more eshpecially the bad thing for me like chrisps,
Maybe i just dont understand how this works yet.

What have been your biggest problems with being able to eat after a pypass.

Thanks
Dave

Tio be quite honest in my experience crisps are quite easy to eat from around 8 weeks post op...........but you develop a respect for your pouch and what you put in it. You wouldnt even contemplate the surgery unless you wanted to work with it.
The key is learning to stop after 1 bag of crisps.
Hope this dosnt appear critical i dont mean it to be xx

Thanks for the reply, I have wanted this so bad for such a long time now, I will have respect for everything the surgery brings

There is a lot to take in and this forum is helping a lot

BigDave

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks for the reply, I have wanted this so bad for such a long time now, I will have respect for everything the surgery brings

There is a lot to take in and this forum is helping a lot

BigDave

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery
Hi Dave , Thank you for bringing this up , the answers have been very interesting , you will get sooooo much support from this site , and i have learned a great deal about whats a head of me , thank the lord for this site ! take care dave xxx

Hi Dave, one of the best things I found about the bypass is that for months after it, I just couldn't eat all those 'problem' foods I did before and this gave my body time to break the 'addiction' to sugar, fats etc.
I found that by making healthy choices in food I started to crave them - I wanted salad and fruit instead of processed sugary sweets and the thought of eating hi-fat food actually turned my stomach and I could imagine all that greasy fat creeping back onto my body.
People are right that it starts to get harder as time goes on, you may start experimenting or adding to your meals and the odd biscuit or packet of crisps may sneak back into your diet but don't let that put you off - you are allowed to live and have a treat but once you have lived with a healthy diet for all those months and seen the fantastic results you won't want to go back to the way you were before.
Best of luck with your op.

Hi i've picked up a great little book that I am working my way through called The Emotional First Aid Kit , a practical guide to life after Bariatric surgery. It talks about allthe emotional challenges you face pre- and post surgery and how to get you mind and body to work together. How to face and deal with the emotional triggers as well as some of the behaviours that have led us all to fail inthe past and how to help ourselves get the best from our bands or bypasses etc. without letting old habits saboutage things for us. It may be worth a look for you I found it on Amazon whle looking for some bariatric gook books for after my op. the isbn number is 978-0-9768526-5-0 it published by mmc and is written by Cynthia L Alexander,Psyd and covers all aspects from pre and post - op anxieties and maintainence once you get to goal. Hope that helps Penny

Im 2 years post op in November and am happily eating crisps, chocolate, cakes, and biscuits.

Moderation is the key, a little bit of what you fancy don't hurt. When I was fat, a little bit was impossible, it was the whole bar, or the whole pack, or the whole thing !!!!!!!!!!

Small healthy balanced meals and a yummy treat, makes me feel like a normal person. x

Your welcome even the dietitian at the hospital took down the title to see if she thought it was worth recommending to others. It's an American book so some things aren't relevant due to the different health system but most of it offers so much common sense and suggestions to face, fight and beat our demons as they rear their heads at each stage. I think it is great to read before your op and dip in and out of as personal crisies appear.

Im 2 years post op in November and am happily eating crisps, chocolate, cakes, and biscuits.

Moderation is the key, a little bit of what you fancy don't hurt. When I was fat, a little bit was impossible, it was the whole bar, or the whole pack, or the whole thing !!!!!!!!!!

Small healthy balanced meals and a yummy treat, makes me feel like a normal person. x
Normal person . . . . lol love it ! I wonder if I will be able to go out and enjoy a steak and salad (mmmmmm) – the malabsorption help to save calories !

Back