• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A bit quick ?

RoseA

I really hesitate to post this, as I know how long a journey many of you have had to get WLS. But I think mine's been a bit quick and I'm worried..

It was the consultant knee surgeon at my local hospital who offered to recommend me to his colleague for WLS as he said he wouldn't contemplate a replacement knee at my weight. That was in April. I also had some gynae problems and a cancer scare, the O&G consultant said the weight was an issue and had I considered WLS ? She was delighted when I said I'd already been referred. That was mid July.

So the following week I had my appointment with Mr El Hasani. After something like a 5 minute consultation he said he was willing to perform a bypass. I asked what other options were there for me, he said that was the only one he was willing to offer. He gave me an information booklet.

I attended an information session with his team on 23 September and was accepted onto the waiting list. Was told they like to aim for 3-4 months. A week later I received a letter with a date for surgery: 6 December !! I've a pre-op assessment on 19 November and there's apparently an information pack on its way to me.

I feel like I'm being fast tracked... maybe the two consultants have both put something in my notes ? Or is it just easier because my local hospital happens to be a centre for WLS ?

Rose

Thanks for the encouragement Margaret - I'm on a roller-coaster right now, some days I think just how good things are going to be next year... then I just get plain scared and want to run away... am i ready for such a life-change ?

I haven't told anyone in my family yet (hubby knows of course) or at work. Don't really know how to.

Rose

Congrats and dont complain hun, like Margaret said grab it with both hands lol, maybe that is just the way they do things at ur hospital, some hospitals do have a fast service depending on how busy they are.
Dont worry what is in ur notes as if it was something serious then they would not be doing surgery without a barrel load of tests xx

Hun that's fantastic!! I'm thrilled to bits for you! However, if you do feel like you won't be mentally prepared for it by then I think you can ask them for a slightly later date. Personally, if I got the call to come in tomorrow (and they had a magic wand to shrink my liver so no pre-op diet) then I'd take it!!!

Good luck!!!

xxxxx

hi rose, it was a consultant that referred me to mr el hasani, i saw him in the september had a 5min chat and that was it! didnt see anyone else either until my pre-op assessment 8months later! maybe you've gone through quicker because of your knee? i didnt have any problems so maybe i went to the bottom of the list! like the others said grab it with both hands it will be the best decision you've ever made. im 5 months post op now and have lost 6 stone, i found the first month life changing but now i dont,i eat practically anything but just in smaller portions the only life changing thing for me is i now have a wardrobe of really nice clothes, i can run around with my little girl and i want to go out instead of sitting around, hiding from the world and eating!!!!!

Yes most defo grab it and never let go, there are hundreds on here that would love to be in your shoes right now (thats in a nice way of course) , but when you have it done you will never ever look back, and you will feel a hell of a lot of presure vanish from your knees. Well done!! Ive never looked back and Ive lost nearly 4 stone in 12 weeks. Good luck what ever you decide take care Gail.x

Hiya hun my journey so far has been short to so your not alone there im hopefully geting op in november and i only really started this journey in june when i wen to see my doctor but i had already last yr been on 2 types of slimming tablets of doc so i think thats why i didnt have to go on a weight managment scheme plus they new i was on weight watchers and that i had lost 2 stone in a yr not much but enough to make a bit of a dif in my health.

Ive got my next apt on the 20th of october and i so cant wait i wish they where doin op that day lol so grab it with both hands hun and run lol best of luck with your journey lin.x

Hi,

If you need more time and want to do more more research then you've every right to ask for a later date. Also I think if you want to be able to consider other options they will let you as it's your choice at the end of the day.

That said I have waited for 15 months to get from referal to op date and now I've a bit of paper saying that my op is on Saturday I'm having exactly the same worries as you and thinking OMG its all happening too fast now.

I think I'm trying to say that you'll feel the same whatever date you get as it approaches.

xx

Don't feel guilty because your ahead of others. I should imagine the surgeons work out their list in order of priority. Thats why co-mobidities are taken into consideration in the first place.

You are certainly where you are supposed to be on the list, so you go for it girl. Nobody here is going to begrudge you your rightfull place.

Good luck with it all.

xxx

It's great news that you're getting your op so soon, and you can use the next couple of months to get mentally ready by reading as much info about the op, and how to survive after it;)You'll be fine hun x:D

Good Luck with your op and well done, Im going with Mr El-Hasani in November but Im having to pay, my PCT refused to fund my surgery.

I know what you mean about telling people though, I feel a bit ashamed admitting I'm having WLS cos I know some people see it as an easy way out, I feel myself defending my decision quite a bit.

Keep in touch

xxx :)

I'm overwelemed by all your responses - thank you all so much !! Without this forum I would be a wreck... the information and support here is second to none.

BTW, I told my boss today and he's being very supportive.

Rose

It doesnt seem that fast to me to be honest. I was 7 months from referral to op - but I could have had it sooner. I had to ask for it to be no earlier than end of August due to work commitments.

Many of the patients from Walsall Manor have been done and dusted in around 6 - 7 months.

DOnt feel guilty at all hun. As others have said, you have your rightful place on the list.

Back