• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A new beginning hopefully

incasmum

Hi Everyone,
Can I just say what a brilliant, friendly site this is. Ive been skulking in the background just reading for a few days, but now its time to say hello!

Im finally just starting out on the road to surgery, so im not sure yet what type would be best for me. I live in Portsmouth and I went to see my GP back in Feb 2013 after being overweight all my life.

In Portsmouth, to be considered for surgery you have to go to a clinic called 'Life Morph' first so my GP did the referral and I waited and waited for 8 months. Finally 2 weeks ago I got my first appointment with them and Im now attending weekly, seeing their dietitian, psychologist and attending a surgery info session next week. I know its still not a definite that I will get surgery at the end of it, but im hopeful and im sticking to the diet ive been given to prove my motivation is there for a lifestyle change after surgery, if I do get it.

Just wondered if anyone else here has been through the Life Morph programme? Thanks for listening, Mandy

Hello and Welcome Mandy,

Not attended life morph but had to do a similar 3 tier program for referral from GP. I eventually gave up (long story) and self funded in July this year, so can't really help in that respect, but have been delighted with results since July, and not had any issues. Good luck,:)

In Scotland but just wanted to say hi, welcome and good luck :)

hello and welcome!

I've not heard of it, but I do wish you the very best of luck!

I never would have got NHS funding as my BMI wasn't high enough and I'm too impatient anyway :D

Last edited:
Welcome , I did a similar thing I gosport called the weigh a head , if you never joined a weight loss group like slimming world or weight watchers you will find it helpful also they offer psychological help , and personal trainer for one session . I used it as a tool any tiny thing that helps me on my journey I'm going to grape with two hands . At the end they discusses with your weight loss, BMi . About nhs funding and them and your GP write to the commissioners about funding WLS. Google Portsmouth care path way for obesity might give you a flow chart . I needed to chase the funding from the commissioners and I did phone her and mange to speak to her , she said in March that if my BMi was oner50 then I could have been referred for surgery and didn't need to go to weigh a head stuff . . I started the session July 2012 with weigh a head , and went for appointment with QA team in May this year . I should have surgery around July but I have serious health problems which needed to be sorted out first . I'm on the list for gastric by pass 26 Th nov . Sorry if this is long winded . I would just say don't give up

hi welcome and good luck with your journey

Kimberley, I have my first visit with consultant on 28 nov ahead of a 12 week weight management course. My bmi is slightly over 50 plus I have co-mobidities, maybe I should ask them if I can miss this 12 wk course and be referred straight to surgeon? Can only ask :)

Hi, and welcome. I didn't do the course but have done ones like it in the post. I'm having my op on Tuesday at portsmouth. Good luck. X

Back