• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A newbie in need of support...

pinxster999

Hi to all,

So here I go - I'm Theresa, I'm 26 and have had a weight problem my whole life. I have thought of surgery in the past, but never really investigated it as thought I could do it all through exercise and diet. I cannot remember a time where I was within a normal weight range - maybe up to 4 years old. Now I'm sick of being the fat one in everything or at least feeling like this.

So I managed to lost 4 stone over 2 years, from 2010-2012 and felt better - still a way away from me being happy, then life got in the way ( break ups/ loss of control) and put on two stone. So I'm now at 19st and very miserable.

I have done all the diets a number of times, the way I lost the 4 stone was through a local nhs gp programme which was about re-education. So when I moved to Worthing I went in the feeling good weight management programme after begging my gp for help. This was the first time surgery had been mentioned to me and it shocked me to know I was at that stage. However, I have thought about it more and more.

I started the programme in January and exercised hard(7 times intense a week) and been better with my diet, but have stayed the same weight. Had my thyroid checked, but no they can't work out why I'm not loosing the weight.

So I have been abroad for the last two weeks to return to a letter that has invited me to a surgery conference on Monday, which I have booked onto, which will inform me of risks, types of surgery etc. this has got me thinking into surgery and that actually it may be a viable option for me to go down.

Quite obviously I have questions about the surgery.... Which I hope can be answered on Monday, but I would like to make contact with people who have the op and to my surprise there is quite a lot of people who have been through this same process! I don't feel so alone.

My big question is skin - that's my biggest worry - does it leave you with major skin issues so then I would need further surgery? Privately of course to correct the loose skin.

And also has anyone felt defined by food - this is how I feel, like food defines me because I love it so much. I love nice food and I feel that it is my personality even though it isn't. My friends have laughed when I have told them this as they say my personality has nothing to do with food, but it is my own mentality I suppose. Is there psychological support for going through surgery? In regards to diet changes etc?

Is it really a big struggle to reduce on food?

Sorry for the long post,
Look forward to hearing from some of you, xx

welcome to the site, its full of great people with lots of useful advise. I had a bypass 27th May this year and have not looked back. what I would say is that its not a quick fix and I suspect that you will also need some counselling along side this route to prepare your head for what is to come (speak to your bariatric team about this). you will still have to make the right choices food wise for any of the surgeries to work for you and still have to deal with your brain wanting stuff at times, even if your body doesn't. research all the surgery options available to you, so that you can make an informed decision and ask the opinion of the team so that between you you can choose the right option for you. good luck with your journey pinxster999:clap:

Hello newbie
Welcome to a fantastic site I agree with sam its not a quick fix and it makes you think properly about your relationship with food and after the WSL the hard work really starts
Very good luck on your journey
Keep posting

Hi Pinxster -I recognise myself in your story - except that I am twice your age! I too have struggled with food and my weight my whole life. I have also managed to lose some through diet and excercise but it always crept back on again - at the end of the day I couldn't compete with the hunger. I am now one week past by pass surgery and yes - it is hard - it's a major operation and a huge decision to make but I can say that my only regret is that I didn't do it when I was younger. I wish you well in whatever you decide is right for you x

I have to say also that I don't feel that I am missing out on anything, or depriving myself. am really used to smaller portions now and I think I am doing pretty well at listening to my bodies signs for fullness. do stick rigidly to the 20:20:20 rule though and I do log everything I eat and drink on my fitness pal. that really helps me stay on track. I don't believe in guessing how much protein I have had or how many calories I have eaten, I need to KNOW for sure to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Hello and welcome!... I'm sure you will get good advise here from people that know!.... It really depends on what type of surgery you chose I guess.... It's taken me a couple of weeks for my brain to catch up with what's happened to my body but the cravings are getting less... Eventually you should still be able to enjoy tasting the foods you love but not wish to or be able to over eat them which of course is a great bonus!.. If you have a stomach reduction of some sort then the hunger hormones that we produce will be dramatically reduced so you don't feel deprived in the same way as previous diets.... Very best of luck with the meeting!.. Try and compile questions you would like answered!

Back