• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello from a newbie in Leeds

10TonneTess

Hello

I'm new to the forum although have read through many times without actually joining in.

As the title says I live in Leeds. I'm almost 27. Weigh 30 stone and have a BMI of 53.9! I have a few health problems and need an operation but can't have the op at my current weight but struggle to lose weight without having the operation so after trying Slimming World, Cambridge Diet etc I spoke to my GP and he referred me for WLS.

I've just received an appointment through to see Dr Barth which after a google am assuming is to do with wls and is the first step?

Has anyone else seen Dr Barth? What happened?

Has anyone had surgery at Leeds? How long did it take from start to finish? Did you have to go through the weight loss programs. I think I am leaning towards a bypass rather than band.

Welcome to the site. I am from Wakefield but go to Uni in Leeds. My surgery was done at Dewsbury.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your journey. X

Hi

I don't know the procedure up there but wanted to say welcome x

Hi, I'm also from Leeds. There's a weight loss surgery support group in Weetwood Hall tonight 7-9pm that's a fabulous resource, if you're free come along.

The system has been through a recent change. It is usual that you go through the dieticians first on the weight management service and then after completing seeing them (usually a 12 week process) are referred to the hospital of your choice where you are given a team and allocated a surgeon and are then on the pathway to surgery. It might be worth asking your GP to check that he's following the correct referral system as if you get to see a consultant without the rest you might have to start all over at the beginning again which would be incredibly frustrating and time wasting. I haven't met Dr Barth but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired from the feedback from people who have. Again, there's people at the group under this particular doctor so you could come and talk to them.

One of the dieticians from the weight management team is attending the group tonight so if you can get there you could double check that the GP has followed the right steps.

Good luck. It took 9mths from seeing my GP for the first time until surgery for me which I thought was pretty good going. Leeds is a really good area in terms of NHS input so you're in good hands. Some people are having to wait a bit longer due to Tier 3 system of who you need to see being implemented but talking to weight management would be a really good first step.

Last edited:
I'm also in Leeds, as Smaller said the referral process has changed but from what I'm hearing the waiting times are nowhere near as long as some areas. I was bypassed 9 months ago and waited 18 moths to get there but it's nowhere near that now.

My surgeon was Mr Sarela so can't help there either, sorry.

Good luck though sounds really promising x

The support group at Weetwood Hall is great, met lots of pre-oppers tonight.

Just popping up to say hi!

Back