• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie - in need of advice

liblobster79

Hello everybody! I've been reading these forums for some time now and am finally at the point of booking in for a band. I just have some questions I'm struggling to find the answers to.
My BMI is 38. I weigh about 17st - I'm wavering about surgery on the basis that I've never really been under 13st and keep thinking I must be able to lose 4st without surgery. But seemingly I can't. I've triwd all the usual diets, lost a stone or two just to put it back on straight away. Surgery seems a bit drastic. Does anybody ever regret having a band? I'm 33 and hoping for another baby which the providers all say isn't a problem. Also can anyone tell me how much faffing about is required post op - and which providers are most versatile. I work full time and worry I won't be able to get appointments to suit me for fills etc. I live in sheffield.
I feel like I'm letting everybody down by not being able to lose this weight. Really feel so unhappy.
Any advice welcomed.
X

Hi and welcome!

I have a band and my BMI was about the same as yours pre op.

My provider was WLS Group, they have a clinic in Sheffield and do ops there too.

When you say faffing around, I take youy mean fills? In almost 4 years I've had 5 (I think) fills. You can go to the clinic as often as you want, most go monthly for weighs ins etc.

Research as much as you can and make the right decision for you xx

Thanks for reply mazza! Do you mind me asking how much you have lost, and how long it takes?
Faffing around was probably the wrong term- but yes I meant for fills. WEre you done at Claremont? How was it? X

Hello again, I lost 7 stone. It took me less than two years but more than I'd hoped - thats because I had to have a hysterectomy in between though.

No I had my op in Preston, they don't do ops there now though. As I live in the midlands I usually went to the Birmingham clinic, although I have been to Sheffield and London.

I'm sure Jo had her op in Sheffield, so hopefully she will see this.

Any questions ask away, have a read of the threads in the band section too xx

7 stones is absolutely amazing!

I guess because I've never been really slim, I'm thinking I would never be really slim but.......

Do you have lots of flappy loose skin?

How long did it take for you to feel ok after the op. I've had a Caesarian and was up and about very quickly after that.

Also when I diet now I often feel light headed and faint and sickly which always prompts me to eat, hence continuous failure. Is the feeling of having a band just the same as if you were always dieting? Worried about not having much energy?

It sounds like I'm making tonnes of excuses not to have one - just really worried that i might regret it - which is weird as so many people on here are super excited about having their WLS! I'm lucky enough to be in a position to just book it of I decide to but I need to know it is right decision!

Also I suffer with seriously bad acid - do you have any experience of whether this will improve or get worse?

I really appreciate you replies! Sorry I have so many qs.

Xx

Hi mazza thanks again - awesome weight loss. I did reply to his but doesn't seem to have appeared here yet?

Will just re type the basic questions I had -
Do you feel light headed/faint or hungry at all?
How long after the op did you feel ok- as in on to work, look after kids, exercise etc?
Do you have lots of excess skin?
What happens if you are ill? Eg with stomach bug.
Also - any idea if stomach acid reflux might improve?

All advice appreciated xxxxx

Do you feel light headed/faint or hungry at all?
Hi not now I don't but occasionaly early on - due to recovering from the op and eating much less!

Yes I do feel hungry but only when I'm supposed to. I was never a snacker / grazer. I just ate too much (big portions).

How long after the op did you feel ok- as in on to work, look after kids, exercise etc?

I had my op on a Saturday, home on Sunday then took the working week off.

My daughter is 10 now and 6 when I had my op, so fairly independent.

Exercise, walking as soon as I could. Back to the gym after two weeks, no weights or swimming until 6 weeks - doctors orders!

Do you have lots of excess skin?

No not really, I was only overweight for a year or so. I do have an over hang on my stomach but thats from surgery, whilst pregnant and then my hysterectomy.

What happens if you are ill? Eg with stomach bug.

I have only really had one bug since my op and I was sick but it wasn't the same as pre op.

If you are 'sick' from eating too much or too quickly usually it will just be the last or last few mouthfulls of food that come back up.

Also - any idea if stomach acid reflux might improve?

This is something you will need to ask the surgeon, its not something I've suffered with.

One member on here did have it because her band was slightly too tight but she got that sorted.

Hope that helps! xx

good luck not long to go xx

Back