• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question about my pre-op diet....

Ahh now you see it is working Alice, worth going through a couple of days of feeling rough!! Keep going girl. Just think, this time next week we will both be 'done' and on the losing side. I am feeling ok about it all, thanks and I hope you are too. If not let us know here and we can try and help xxxx

Thanks Ali. I am actually fine now. The first 2 days were killers but now my body has adjusted and I'm ok. I'm pleased I only had to do 1 week though. You must be sick of it!!

I am doing ok:D glad that you are too now!! Not long to go!

I know! Not long at all now. Really excited. I just told a close friend about it on the phone. She was really shocked but also really supportive. Telling her all about it really reminded me of what a massive change we are making to our lives... It really is the start of a whole new chapter... Bring it on!

YAY FOR US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and everyone else too!!!!!!!!!!)

Hello everyone,

Well, I went to my GP today to ask her to refer me to a dietician for after the op. I am having the op privately but decided to pay the cheaper package where the aftercare isn't included. (It was an extra £2.5k for the dietician and 3 band fills!). I thought I'd be able to pay-as-you-go with the dietician after the op, but it turns out I was wrong! So I have no dietic support after my initial 6 week follow-up!

Anyway, I thought the GP would be able to refer me to the dieticians at my local NHS hospital. But she seemed unsure about whether they would accept me - told me they might not want to treat me as I went privately!! I told her that surely they would be happy that I saved the NHS a few grand, and that as a tax payer, I'm entitled to NHS support... so she's going to write a letter and see what she can do.

Grrr I'm really annoyed by this. I thought there would be no problem getting a referral. I wonder if I can see a dietician privately somewhere else.... might go do some googling!

After the GP, I went on a pre-op shopping trip! I bought liquid nurofen and paracetamol, wind relief (after reading Livvy's thread!), syrup of fig, and some soluble co-codamol for if the pain is really bad (although I hate taking it because it makes me soooo constipated). I meant to get a small seive to seive out all the bits in my soup post op, but I forgot so I'll have to go get that another day.

So now it all feels very real. I've just popped my trakkie bottoms in the wash so I can wear them to go home from hospital in (glamorous or what?! lol), and I've changed the sheets on the spare bed in case I need to call any friends in to take care of me while John is in Amsterdam the week after the op.

Eeek! Is this actually going to happen?

Alice xx

Hi Alice,

Was it kids liquid nurofen/paracetemol that you got? And which wind relief did you get?

Trying to make sure my medicine cabinet is comprehensive for the just in case's!

Shell i just got the kids liquid ones & took double the dose to make it adult strength.

Gripe water worked really well for the trapped wind lol

Hi Shell,

I got kid's nurofen. It doesn't give an adult dosage on the packaging, but the normal dose for tablets is 400mg, and this is 100mg in 5ml - so I'll take 20ml.

The paracetamol I got was soluble panadol and the wind remedy I got was windeze - chewable tablets.

Hope that helps :) xxx

thank you :)

Wooo Hoooo sounds like you are getting mega organised now Alice!! Hope the wobbles have not set in too badly. I was told I could not have nurofen based stuff post op as it can irritate the stomach, but anything paracetamol based is fine, so I have got calpol in and soluble paracetamol with codeine. I don't get to see a dietician either as such (and my package includes 3 fills!) but I do get a monthly support group where there will be people to talk to at all stages of their journey so if you have questions just shout and I will try and ask them for you. If you are on msn and fancy a chat anytime, mine is [email protected]. x x

Hello Alice :) U cant take Nurofen in anyform during or after banding (ibruprofen is not good for a banded stomach) , Alliecat is right :) Calpol is fine but i just found crushed up Co-codamol or Co-Drydramol worked ok because i needed something stronger for the pain and my soluble paracetamol was fine too...just don't gulp it down ouch !!... U both must get Gripe water ....brilliant really helps !! and i have used Remegel Chewable wind relief too great stuff. I feel so well today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have posted on my Diary link :)xxx

Ohhhhh thanks for that Ali and Livvy... Good job I got lots of paracetamol and co-codamol too.

I've added you both to my MSN btw... chat soon :)

I'm off to get my hair cut & coloured - figured it would make me feel good about myself when I feel like sh*t! lol

xx

Back