• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question for Liz and other banders

thinkbethin

Hi Liz and all other banders. Just a thought and would like your input. Do you think us banders could push the band to its limits and squeeze all the saline back out through the port hole?? Just wondering as my band is supposed to be half full and I've no restriction at all. I know it takes a few fills to get it right but after reading "bugladys" post about there being no saline in I started thinking so thought I'd ask you lot.

woooaaahh gaynor stop ! why would you think you have squeezed the saline back ? that isnt possible, yes you can loose some fill over 3-6 months naturally. be patient your band sounds like it just needs fine tuning with fills xxx restriction some get quicker than others we are all very different hun. bug ladys thread/post it happens the surgeon may say things thats not true to make ppl have a kick start and believe they have restriction after the swelling goes, some times the fill is initially there but can be lost for various reasons.

gaynor please dont worry i personally think u just need fine tuning just like pianos we are, it takes time but it does happen at some point.

liz x

it can happen the port hole is missed by the needle and it results in no fill, it happens but not often xxx

Hi Gaynor, don't worry re. too much thinking....the other day I was worried that the little pipe that goes from port to band could come unattached and wrap it's self around my heart LoL!
As Liz says - everyone is different and it takes people a different number of fills to get it all perfect. x

I have the same thought Gaynor. I worry that the nurse missed my port as I have no restriction with 7.5mls 10ml band. When I had my first fill they took out what was in there so they new that they had the right place. 2nd time the nurse just added so I don't even know if the 6ml was still in there or it had gone down. I am going to ask next time if she can take out and measure what was in there and then add the whole amount back in.

Hiya

I dont know a lot of technical stuff about the band, but I would think that there is some type of valve that allows fluid to go through to inflate the band, but does not allow the fluid to come back out, sort of like a one-way system. Otherwise the fluid would be able to flow back down towards the port on a routine basis. It must have a valve on similar to a vein, where blood flows through a vein in one direction, but cannot get through the valve to flow backwards, if that makes sense.

Dont know for sure though.

MNL:D

Not sure if its normal, when I had my 1 fill the nurse took out what was in there measured it and then added a mil to it.

I presume its measured each time.

My procedure was , she measured the saline, added 2mls and asked me to sit up.I was then given water to sip. I found it wouldn't go down well, so she took out 1 ml. Now I'm sorry that I didn't persevere with the 2 mls.

Is this how everyone had there fills?

Not sure if its normal, when I had my 1 fill the nurse took out what was in there measured it and then added a mil to it.

yes this is normal they need to draw back on the needle to see what exact fill is left as we do loose a little naturally then they add fill and put it back this is how they get an exact fill measurement.

I presume its measured each time.

yes they do, well they always have with me.

My procedure was , she measured the saline, added 2mls and asked me to sit up.I was then given water to sip. I found it wouldn't go down well, so she took out 1 ml. Now I'm sorry that I didn't persevere with the 2 mls.

Is this how everyone had there fills?

mine was done like this but under xray.

liz x

I had the same technician today and when he emptied my band he only got 3.5 ml out. I asked him why there was only this in as he had put 5ml in for my 1st fill. He said sometimes a little is lost and this is why they take out whats there so the new fill is correct.

I had the same technician today and when he emptied my band he only got 3.5 ml out. I asked him why there was only this in as he had put 5ml in for my 1st fill. He said sometimes a little is lost and this is why they take out whats there so the new fill is correct.

yes thats right gaynor banders naturaly asperate fill over time and this is the reason after so long we can eat bigger portions, we need to keep the fill levels topped up regular as when its lost thats when the restriction becomes less x

They didn't measure what was in there already last time. So although I had 6ml put in at first fill there may have been less when the extra 7.5ml was added. I am going to ask them to measure it next time.

Back