• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bariatric mince pies

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Here are 2 mince pie recipe from Carol Bowen Ball who is the author of "Return to Slender" Bariatric cook book

Mince Pies

Ah, Mince Pies, either love ‘em or hate ‘em. Personally I have always found them too heavy on pastry and light on filling. These have been my greatest challenge for bariatrics. It’s hard to come up with a sweet pastry and mincemeat that fits the bill. I have developed a reduced sugar and fat pastry and also a mincemeat that is lower in fat and sugar but they still, in combination, prove unsuitable for some.

I like the shortcrust style pastry and suet-style mincemeat variation for taste but can also appreciate the low-fat mincemeat with filo pastry for the lightest option. Your choice!

So here are a couple of variations:

Traditional Mincemeat

Ingredients
Metric/US
225g seedless raisins/11/2 cups seeded raisins
225g sultanas/11/2 cups seedless white raisins
225g/11/2 cups currants
150g/5oz candied peel, chopped
25g/1/4 cup chopped almonds
2 tbsp chopped stem ginger
1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
8 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
2 tsp ground mixed spice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
grated zest and juice of 1 orange
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
150g/18 tbsp reduced-fat shredded vegetable suet
4-7 tbsp water

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients together other than the water, cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for 12 hours to allow the flavours time to develop.
2. Preheat the oven to the lowest setting. Transfer the mincemeat mixture to an ovenproof dish and add 4 tbsp of the water. Cover and cook for 3 hours. Check the consistency halfway through cooking and add a little more water if you feel the mixture is too dry. Cool then pack into sterilised jars. Cover with a waxed disc and seal. Store in the refrigerator until required. This method melts the suet and coats all the ingredients to help prevent fermentation.

Traditional Mince Pies

Ingredients
Metric/US
Pastry:
300g plain flour/3 cups all-purpose flour
150g/scant ¾ cup low-fat spread or light butter
2 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2-3 tbsp cold water
Filling:
300g/10oz traditional mincemeat (recipe above)

Method
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl, add the spread or light butter and rub in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Splenda. Add the egg yolk with the water and mix together to form a dough. Chill until required.
2. To make the mince pies, preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6). Roll out the pastry to ½ cm/1/4 inch thickness. Cut out 12 fluted circles using a 7 cm/23/4 inch cutter for the bases and a star cutter for the tops.
3. Place the pastry bases in a bun/patty tin and place a dessertspoonful of mincemeat in each. Top with the pastry stars.
4. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold. They can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

MAKES 12
WLS PORTION:

CALORIES PER MINCE PIE: 150
PROTEIN: 3.4g
CARBOHYDRATE: 29.5g
FAT: 4g

Low-fat Mincemeat:

Here is a variation for the mincemeat recipe for making Mince Pies. This variation is lower in fat than the one above. The quantity is enough for 12 pies.
Mix a 75g/3oz packet dried blueberries; with a 75g/3oz packet dried cranberries, 175g/6oz sultanas/seedless white raisins, grated zest 1 orange, juice of ½ orange, grated zest of I lemon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 3 tbsp agave syrup. Place in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week before using.

Use this mixture to fill tartlet shells of filo pastry or spoon onto squares of the same filo pastry and roll up like cigars! Cook both in a 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6 oven for 12-15 minutes until golden and crisp.

Here are 2 mince pie recipe from Carol Bowen Ball who is the author of "Return to Slender" Bariatric cook book

Mince Pies

Ah, Mince Pies, either love 'em or hate 'em. Personally I have always found them too heavy on pastry and light on filling. These have been my greatest challenge for bariatrics. It's hard to come up with a sweet pastry and mincemeat that fits the bill. I have developed a reduced sugar and fat pastry and also a mincemeat that is lower in fat and sugar but they still, in combination, prove unsuitable for some.

I like the shortcrust style pastry and suet-style mincemeat variation for taste but can also appreciate the low-fat mincemeat with filo pastry for the lightest option. Your choice!

So here are a couple of variations:

Traditional Mincemeat

Ingredients
Metric/US
225g seedless raisins/11/2 cups seeded raisins
225g sultanas/11/2 cups seedless white raisins
225g/11/2 cups currants
150g/5oz candied peel, chopped
25g/1/4 cup chopped almonds
2 tbsp chopped stem ginger
1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
8 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
2 tsp ground mixed spice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
grated zest and juice of 1 orange
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
150g/18 tbsp reduced-fat shredded vegetable suet
4-7 tbsp water

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients together other than the water, cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for 12 hours to allow the flavours time to develop.
2. Preheat the oven to the lowest setting. Transfer the mincemeat mixture to an ovenproof dish and add 4 tbsp of the water. Cover and cook for 3 hours. Check the consistency halfway through cooking and add a little more water if you feel the mixture is too dry. Cool then pack into sterilised jars. Cover with a waxed disc and seal. Store in the refrigerator until required. This method melts the suet and coats all the ingredients to help prevent fermentation.

Traditional Mince Pies

Ingredients
Metric/US
Pastry:
300g plain flour/3 cups all-purpose flour
150g/scant ¾ cup low-fat spread or light butter
2 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2-3 tbsp cold water
Filling:
300g/10oz traditional mincemeat (recipe above)

Method
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a bowl, add the spread or light butter and rub in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Splenda. Add the egg yolk with the water and mix together to form a dough. Chill until required.
2. To make the mince pies, preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6). Roll out the pastry to ½ cm/1/4 inch thickness. Cut out 12 fluted circles using a 7 cm/23/4 inch cutter for the bases and a star cutter for the tops.
3. Place the pastry bases in a bun/patty tin and place a dessertspoonful of mincemeat in each. Top with the pastry stars.
4. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold. They can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

MAKES 12
WLS PORTION:

CALORIES PER MINCE PIE: 150
PROTEIN: 3.4g
CARBOHYDRATE: 29.5g
FAT: 4g

Low-fat Mincemeat:

Here is a variation for the mincemeat recipe for making Mince Pies. This variation is lower in fat than the one above. The quantity is enough for 12 pies.
Mix a 75g/3oz packet dried blueberries; with a 75g/3oz packet dried cranberries, 175g/6oz sultanas/seedless white raisins, grated zest 1 orange, juice of ½ orange, grated zest of I lemon, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 3 tbsp agave syrup. Place in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week before using.

Use this mixture to fill tartlet shells of filo pastry or spoon onto squares of the same filo pastry and roll up like cigars! Cook both in a 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6 oven for 12-15 minutes until golden and crisp.
Hi can you copy this recipe and send it to [email protected] please
BBB