• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Aaaah even more to think about! ( surgery in Uk with Mr Somers)

EmmaLouise81

Ok so for those of you who I have not bored to death on here I have had a weight problem all my life and finally decided to have a gastric band.

I was deciding between going to Belgium or UK (I am in N.Ireland) and was 99% sure I would go to St.Richards and Mr Shaw SOMERS. Today I emailed his practice and was helped a wonderful lady but she also gave me more to think about.

This is the bit that has got me all in a tizz again-

. In my experience,
Mr Somers usually recommends gastric bypasses for patients who live in
Ireland. The reason for this is that with a band, you would have to
come for follow up six weeks post-surgery, then four weeks after that
and then a further four weeks after that (i.e. 3 appointments following
surgery). After this time, you would then need to come back to England
for further top ups of your band as you deem necessary. This would
necessitate a fair bit of travelling on your part. I'm not sure if you
were aware of this and are prepared to undertake the follow ups
necessary to ensure your band is working for you.

Now I knew I had to go back quite a few times but thought well I probably would have to go to Dublin for fills anyway if I went to Belgium.

I never even gave a bypass a second thought, just feel it is too drastic for me and I would have no chance of getting family to go with that. I am very close to them and I have to consider their opinions. My dad says he would be happier if I had the surgery in UK as you get aftercare, personally as a worrier I think I would rather have to travel back and forth and be looked after than go somewhere and come home and be on my own.

I thought I could fly from Belfast to Southampton airport then get taxi to St.Richards, then fly back the same day. What do you think?

Just feel like I am going in circles and getting nowhere fast.

Of to post on other sites, need all the help I can get!

There were 2 women from Ireland having bands fitted the same day i had mine done,( The hospital group bromsgrove) They both flew home the following day, I believe it's only if the flight is longer than 4 hours :) there could be problems

hey gorgeous - can't give you any advice on this one......but just wanted you to know that I'm thinking bout you.....

you know where I am if you need to chat......:) PM / text or email me......

lotsof love

Debz xx

Not sure how soon you can fly post op - but for fills etc you could easily do it in a day. i can see why they say a bypass is easier, but you need to choose what's right for you - just bear in mind that it can take many adjustments to get your band filled right.

Mr Somers is wonderful though - great choice of surgeon!

Why not have a consultation with him to chat through all the options? Just an idea...

Personally and i will be honest. Originally about 4 yrs ago i wanted banding but surgeon explained why a bypass would be better, eating habits etc. Another point to think is how long do bands have a life for? I'd be very scared that one day when i can eat normally i'd end up obese again... Bypass is permanent yes, it's a tool i should imagine you can use and utilise if necessary for life...

Just a thought........

Good luck with whatever choice you decide upon xx

Hi EmmaLouise

The choice of surgery ultimately is yours but in deciding which option you need to be really honest about your eating patterns. I chose the band because I was a volume/savoury eater so this was the right choice for me.

If you are going private your team should help you with the decision thats right for you not just because of where you live.

It can take a few fills to get a good restriction but some of the longer term and very succesful banders on here have had 4 or maybe 5 fills to get to their 'sweet spot'.

Good luck, do what you feel is right x

I thought i was going to have the band but on talking to my surgeon i realised that the bypass was my better option for success. I travelled 220miles for my surgery and although we drove down i was told that i could fly home no prob the next day if that was the way i intended to travel good luck with your journey x

I was 100% band and then after over a year go to the surgeon who said NO WAY your bypass or nothing it knocked me for 6 and I am in the "thinking stage" my mum is like oh my god no what the hell do you mean a bypass your only 33 !!!
good luck with your decision xxxxxxxxx

I might be wrong here, and this is if your going private....

Im sure that although you would have to have your surgery in England or Belgium for the band with The Weight Loss Surgery Group (wlsg), they have a clinic in Belfast for your fills.

Someone else might have more info on this. I'm just going off the venues list on their website and saw Belfast there.

Hope this helps

xxx

Hi EmmaLouise. I don't think that it's a good idea to fly home the same day. You will feel quite groggy. I was second on the list for the day (down at 9.30) and came back to my room at 12.00. I spent the rest of the day dozing & feeling a bit sick. Nothing awful but certainly not fit to fly (with or without my broomstick). I know I had visitors but don't really remember them coming!!

Back