• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Disappointed in Shaw Somers' company

LBD

I have been trying to arrange a private consultation with Shaw Somers' company, Streamline.

I phoned them last Tuesday and despite several calls since then they still haven't phoned me back to arrange the appointment.

I really want to use Shaw as he the best in my area (in my view!) but I feel really let down by Streamline's attitude so far particularly as I will be paying for their service!

Last edited:
I am really shocked as its so different to my experience. Please try again tomorrow. I see there is a new number on their website because i always use a the one to speak to Karen in London.

Great news you got your appointment. I am NHS with Shaw and he is fabulous - I am sure you won't be disappointed once you meet him.

Good luck.

I am so glad you managed to get through and make an appointment.

Dear Little Black Dress, But we are interested!! That's why we come on this site, to compare experiences and learn. I must admit, I too have been a little disappointed with the company. However, I got a phonecall today from the nurse in clinic, which was very welcome. Just checking that everything was going well and I talked some things through with her (barfing etc.). I think the main disappointment has been with the nutritional information given as it was so vague and I could have done with more detail. But I suppose that every person is different, how much they can eat and how well they tolerate different foods. The nursing staff at the Chichester Suite were fab and really looked after us well. And as for Shaw Somers, I don't care about his charisma or chiselled good looks, I care about how handy he is in the operating theatre. He was great, my scars are neat and I've had no problems.

I'm interested!! Great news on your appointment x

I have been using the freephone number on the web site and speaking to someone called Stacey. She put a request to Chichester to ring me a week ago and again last Friday but still no luck. It just seems really odd to me.

Encore - I assume you have used Streamline. I would be really interested to hear about your experience :)

I'm glad you got through as it is worth it. I spoke to Stacey at the beginning. She is really friendly and helpful. I've never had a problem. It was very easy with the op as I just phoned the secretary in London (Karen), saw Shaw then had my operation in Chichester. I could've gone to Harrow but Chichester was easier as I had friends who could visit me there. I have never had a minutes trouble but I had had a very bad experience with the first surgeon and had a grim time having my fills with the nurse that they recommended for aftercare. She very confident and friendly but I think she bluffed a lot as she didn't look after the band properly.
I would really recommend Streamline based on my own experience

Hi LBD

My experience with Mr Somers was very different, I emailed into the site and he emailed back personally on a sunday I was very impressed. He then arranged everything for me and his secretary contacted me within 24 hours. I'm not sure whether the fact that the Fat Doctor is running on TV at the mo makes any difference but he did say that it made a big difference last time.

The care at Chichester is fine all the nurses were lovely as Gill said but like her I feel the nutritional advice is lacking. Also I was never offered any psychological input at all prior to the op which I feel is an imporant part of the process. It also gets a bit frustrating once you get passed to the admin at Chichester to be booked etc as Christine is very busy and demand is rising all the time, so it can be a while before it all gets arranged once youhave the go ahead.

Good luck with your appointment on 18/12

M

Last edited:
I'll be honest, i'm interested... Whoo a week before xmas and you'll be meeting every fat person's dream man. I hope your consultation goes really well for you. Keep us updated, just be patient if it takes a while to respond, so many posts to read it takes time sometimes xxx

Glad you finally managed to get through and get your appt so soon. Just before Christmas so hopefully you will have your op sometime in the new year.

Great news...at last!
yes it's got to be his competence as a surgeon that matters. He is dishy though

not sure if they have a branch near you but I went with surgicare after speaking to 2 other companies including yours once I actualy got a call back!!! Surgicare have been amazing and rang me back the next morning after I put in a internet enquiry and Lynne was amazing so much information and actually treated me like a person rather than a statistic. I had my op on 7th November 2009 and they have been amazing with the aftercare and with the dietician George they actally do care and you dont feel so alone in this journey. I hope you find a good one but doesnt hurt to shop around!!! Godd luck x

Companies promise lots of things before the operation as I found to my cost. The patient advisor was a sales person on commission which is why they were so enthusiastic about my first surgeon. My first company claimed to offer good aftercare. Unfortunately, the nurse providing it was good at talking but actually did it badly. That's why I went directly to the surgeon next time. He got his team to help me but my initial dealings was with him.
I would always want to talk to an ex patient who was at least a year post band then at least the initial joy will have passed and they will be honest about the cracks in the service. Anyone can have a problem so you want to know if they deal with them well.

Back